Kids' shows nowadays

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
The kid talked about one of his pets dying at one point. Everyone else is like, 'What's up with this grieving bull?! There's no complex emotion allowed in Barneyland! SMILE, YOU JERK!' It was awful. D:
That's horrible! Good death episodes AREN"T bad. Fraggle Rock, Sesame Street, Big Comfy Couch, and even Wimzie's house have done them all heartwarming.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The kid talked about one of his pets dying at one point. Everyone else is like, 'What's up with this grieving bull?! There's no complex emotion allowed in Barneyland! SMILE, YOU JERK!' It was awful. D:
Barney is SOOOO the conformist cousin of Sesame Street. No wonder all these parents were complaining about those old Sesame Street segments where kids were playing around construction sites. There are kid's programs I have trouble with, but my top three most hated would be Barney, Teletubbies and Blues Clues (the FIRST of the talk slow and loud to kids shows). Just for their contributions (or rather blights) to our culture.

Still, I never got the appeal of Cailou. I'm too worried there's a reason why he's bald and talks slowly and like a character from a 90's Adam Sandler movie.

I try VERY hard not to be a decade snob when it comes to a certain type of entertainment... but there's was something magical about the 1980's period for edutainment shows for younger kids. I'm dating myself here, but anyone remember Zoobile Zoo? I LOVED that thing so much. Even kinda liked Disney's Adventures in Wonderland (even though that was a little later) since it just had that same vibe to it. And I LOVED Reading Rainbow and Square One Math... then Barney came, and EVERYTHING had to be a Barney ripoff... even Sesame Street had to change completely, losing some of that city feel.

I really disliked Big Comfy Couch (various reasons, don't want to list them all), and when I found out the main character clown was the voice of both Jubilee from the 90's X-men and Lydia Deetz from the animated Beetlejuice, something in me died a little... didn't help at all that I had embarrassing to mention 10 year old crushes on them.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Barney is SOOOO the conformist cousin of Sesame Street. No wonder all these parents were complaining about those old Sesame Street segments where kids were playing around construction sites. There are kid's programs I have trouble with, but my top three most hated would be Barney, Teletubbies and Blues Clues (the FIRST of the talk slow and loud to kids shows). Just for their contributions (or rather blights) to our culture.

Still, I never got the appeal of Cailou. I'm too worried there's a reason why he's bald and talks slowly and like a character from a 90's Adam Sandler movie.

I try VERY hard not to be a decade snob when it comes to a certain type of entertainment... but there's was something magical about the 1980's period for edutainment shows for younger kids. I'm dating myself here, but anyone remember Zoobile Zoo? I LOVED that thing so much. Even kinda liked Disney's Adventures in Wonderland (even though that was a little later) since it just had that same vibe to it. And I LOVED Reading Rainbow and Square One Math... then Barney came, and EVERYTHING had to be a Barney ripoff... even Sesame Street had to change completely, losing some of that city feel.

I really disliked Big Comfy Couch (various reasons, don't want to list them all), and when I found out the main character clown was the voice of both Jubilee from the 90's X-men and Lydia Deetz from the animated Beetlejuice, something in me died a little... didn't help at all that I had embarrassing to mention 10 year old crushes on them.
Cailou is just a brat,that's th mian issue I have with him.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Even kinda liked Disney's Adventures in Wonderland (even though that was a little later) since it just had that same vibe to it.
I ADORED Adventures in Wonderland! It was so successful in putting a modern spin on the Wonderland story. Watching it now it's even more funny and clever than I realized. I mean come on The Mad Hatter's catchphrase came from an Al Gore quote! "How true that is..." Lol, brilliant!

The performers were these amazingly skilled stage actors that weren't afraid to just embrace the silliness. And I definitely remember learning a lot about grammar from watching back in the day. You have to hand it to the Disney Channel back then, they always put 110% effort into everything they did.

There's actually interviews with the actors on a recent podcast, it's so surreal to hear their voices again, hehe.

http://tiaratalkshow.podomatic.com/entry/2011-09-25T17_07_26-07_00

http://www.tiaratalkshowpodcast.com...howComment=1324395881227#c6413091590414847714

Drtooth

Reaction score
I ADORED Adventures in Wonderland! It was so successful in putting a modern spin on the Wonderland story. Watching it now it's even more funny and clever than I realized. I mean come on The Mad Hatter's catchphrase came from an Al Gore quote! "How true that is..." Lol, brilliant!

The performers were these amazingly skilled stage actors that weren't afraid to just embrace the silliness. And I definitely remember learning a lot about grammar from watching back in the day. You have to hand it to the Disney Channel back then, they always put 110% effort into everything they did.
It was syndicated on Sunday Mornings years later. That's how I saw it at least. There was something magical about that show. It didn't have to be exactly like the Disney cartoon version that came before it. It reinvented some of the characters without turning them into something crummy and generic. Even liked what they did with the Mad Hatter and March Hare. I barely remember seeing a House at Pooh Corner (I saw, like one or two), and I'm more familiar with the Saturday Morning New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It was syndicated on Sunday Mornings years later. That's how I saw it at least. There was something magical about that show. It didn't have to be exactly like the Disney cartoon version that came before it. It reinvented some of the characters without turning them into something crummy and generic. Even liked what they did with the Mad Hatter and March Hare.
I never thought the Alice cartoon was all that successful so I thought Adventures in Wonderland finally got it right. The characters, especially Hatter and Hare, had this free spirited sense of insanity, with a sort of logical illogic. But it was still grounded in reality with the way the characters were worried about upsetting the Queen. And even the Queen was more nuanced than other interpretations. She was a spoiled diva but still a decent person.

Successful kid's TV shows write about reality, but just in miniature form. Unlike Barney which paints a sunny, shallow picture of life.

beaker

Reaction score
WHOA! That never EVER happened.

There are 3 families in the show...

One's a traditional family with a husband and wife that love each other very much, and their 3 kids.

The second is a homosexual couple and their adopted Asian child

The third is actually the father of the mother of the first family and one of the members of the second. His wife was a sleazeball that dumped him, and he remarried to a younger woman and got a step son out of it.

There is NO polygamy in the series at ALL. Trust me. I've watched every single episode there is.

I do know of a case of reverse polygamy in Raising Hope, where a relative of the main characters (who was only in the pilot and disappeared with no explanation until that episode) fell into a cult that allowed that sort of thing. of course, it was dealt with sarcasm and it came off as a joke there.
Yeah I would not be down with a player , swinger or polygamy in a show like Modern family, and I got sick of that lifestyle in sitcoms like 2.5 men

Drtooth

Reaction score
I never thought the Alice cartoon was all that successful so I thought Adventures in Wonderland finally got it right. The characters, especially Hatter and Hare, had this free spirited sense of insanity, with a sort of logical illogic. But it was still grounded in reality with the way the characters were worried about upsetting the Queen. And even the Queen was more nuanced than other interpretations. She was a spoiled diva but still a decent person.
I loved the original animated version as I do most Disney movies, but I really feel that's a prime example of the movie corrupting the public's perception of the source. The Wizard of Oz and Jurassic Park are the other two big examples. It took Sesame Street's Abby in Wonderland video to tell the public that Tweedles Dee and Dum weren't in that story. Every single other adaption I've seen actually follows the Disney version EXCEPT Disney's live action series.

Yeah I would not be down with a player , swinger or polygamy in a show like Modern family, and I got sick of that lifestyle in sitcoms like 2.5 men
2.5 Men is a hedonistic fantasy/soft soap parody of a romanticized version of Charlie Sheen's life. That's why they got him, that's why they had to deal with him... I think both sides pushed the heck out of each other at some point (having his Ex on the show while they were going through something... not all that bright). I liked that show and all, but they should have canned the thing a year BEFORE Charlie went nuts. Personally, someone like Charlie was on a thin ledge with that show anyway... he could have fallen off the wagon at any time... so it's just as much Chuck Lorre's fault as Charlie's. Personally, I just want them to focus on the far superior Big Bang Theory and Mike and Molly. Same thing I feel about Family Guy. They've run their course, the other shows are better written.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I loved the original animated version as I do most Disney movies, but I really feel that's a prime example of the movie corrupting the public's perception of the source. The Wizard of Oz and Jurassic Park are the other two big examples. It took Sesame Street's Abby in Wonderland video to tell the public that Tweedles Dee and Dum weren't in that story. Every single other adaption I've seen actually follows the Disney version EXCEPT Disney's live action series
Well actually there was that 1986 star studded version that had the Tweedles in the Looking Glass part of the story.