Kids' shows nowadays

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't either. But technically the Y7 rating means that children under 7 should not watch it, which is what I was saying.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't either. But technically the Y7 rating means that children under 7 should not watch it, which is what I was saying.
Gotcha. :smile: I don't know, all I can think of is how Are You Afraid of the Dark? was rated Y7 and that show (while I liked it) was NEVER scary, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh yeah I'm first to admit, lol. I just love how Spongebob really is this example of a free spirit who knows what he likes and doesn't care how weird it is. Plus he's a young adult getting his first dream job and trying to get his license, something you rarely see on kid's shows. I think young adults could identify with that. It's like how H.R. PuffnStuff was aimed at kids but also became really popular with college students. It's the same with Spongebob.

And yeah Squidward as a character is so inspired, lol, he always makes me laugh. And the kids I worked with at a summer camp a few years ago loved him too.
Spongebob is a fascinating character. He's so much unbridled optimism that he's forever childlike, and he actually likes, nay worships working at the most reviled of tedious low paying jobs... fast food cook. Squidward is a very bitter soul who treats his job as a job, can't see why Spongebob's so happy, and actually can't stand the fact that he is. It's like Ernie and Bert on complete extremes.

Of course, Spongebob is also completely oblivious sometimes and winds up causing chaos and distruction that he's completely unaware of (like when he's learning to drive for example). Shows like Spongebob welcome absolutely crazy plots and plotlines, and I think there are those who don't care much for that sort of thing at all (or have seen it done somewhere else arguably "better") that just don't get it.

It's like Cow and Chicken. Some people see a stupid show... others see a show that revels in its stupidity and find the cleverness within.

What I don't like is something labored or inorganically wacky. Or something just wooden and unenjoyable. There are shows I hate as a matter of taste, but there are ones I find so profoundly bad, they're almost fun to mock (we know which one I'd mention). There's nothing that profoundly bad currently.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Spongebob is a fascinating character. He's so much unbridled optimism that he's forever childlike, and he actually likes, nay worships working at the most reviled of tedious low paying jobs... fast food cook. Squidward is a very bitter soul who treats his job as a job, can't see why Spongebob's so happy, and actually can't stand the fact that he is. It's like Ernie and Bert on complete extremes.
I always feel like Spongebob must have had one really amazing experience at the Krusty Krab as a child, lol, and he carried it with him his whole life to the extreme. So he doesn't see what a dump it is or how unfair Mr. Krabs can be; he just sees the warm feelings he associates with it and what it could be in an ideal world. Kind of like how we are willing to ignore the dark under belly of McDonald's at times because we just loved getting our Happy Meals as children, lol.

And yeah Squidward often reminds me of an even more ornery Bert, lol.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I find Squidward to be a very unlikable character, he's like an egotistical and arrogant version of Bert: Bert is a very boring character, Frank Oz even says he uses that weakness as his strength, which makes him a likable character, plus when he's paired with Ernie pestering him, it's funny, especially when Jim and Frank would naturally play off each other and ad-lib... when Squidward is paired with SpongeBob annoying the heck out of him, it's just painful to watch. That's one thing that bothers me about SpongeBob, in addition to it being one of those brain-meltingly stupid shows I mentioned, all of the characters are really broad... you've got either painfully stupid characters (SpongeBob and Patrick), unlikable characters (Squidward), or just plain annoying characters (Sandy)... Mr. Krab and Planton are just about the only mildly interesting character on the show. Of course, that's just my opinion, but I respond better to shows with intelligent writing, and I don't find it to have intelligent writing (which is odd, considering the creator came from Rocko's Modern Life, which WAS a VERY intelligent show). Also, another way to answer your question Heralde, I think another thing too is, you have to admit, SpongeBob did get REALLTY over-rated there for a long time... everywhere you looked, SpongeBob was EVERYWHERE, Nick really turned him into a cashcow like Disney does with just about all of their successes, and it did become overkill.

And Sarge, TV-Y7 doesn't necessarily mean that children under 7 shouldn't watch the shows, it basically suggests that the show is simply more suitable for children 7 and above, more-than-likely because of slightly more comical violent content (like Powerpuff Girls or Samurai Jack) that they probably wouldn't want impressionable younger kids to mimick, or more "older" situations that younger kids wouldn't understand (like Hey Arnold! or Recess). Likewise, a lot of PG-rated material is relatively kid-friendly for the most part, it's more of a concern of certain content, such as violence and such, plus swearing and otherwise bad language. Besides... you can't tell me that most of us here at MC shou;ldn't watch a show like SST since it's rated Y :stick_out_tongue:

EDIT: DANG, I got ziffeled TWICE!

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Everyone in theater LOVES SpongeBob. I love it too. It has dipped in quality I'll admit. I find it VERY quotable and hilarious. It also features a lot of good "cartoon gags" like Squidward somehow getting trapped in a large glass bottle.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Of course, that's just my opinion, but I respond better to shows with intelligent writing, and I don't find it to have intelligent writing
It's funny because I certainly would also say I respond better to shows with intelligent writing and that's why I like Spongebob, lol. Different strokes I guess. :wink:

Also, another way to answer your question Heralde, I think another thing too is, you have to admit, SpongeBob did get REALLTY over-rated there for a long time... everywhere you looked, SpongeBob was EVERYWHERE, Nick really turned him into a cashcow like Disney does with just about all of their successes, and it did become overkill.
Well yeah that happens with anything that's successful.

or more "older" situations that younger kids wouldn't understand (like Hey Arnold! or Recess).
Oh yes God knows we wouldn't want their fragile little egg shell minds getting ::gulp:: confused! Oh the horror! Lol. (That wasn't directed at you Snowth, btw, just at the whole ratings system in general).

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
And Sarge, TV-Y7 doesn't necessarily mean that children under 7 shouldn't watch the shows, it basically suggests that the show is simply more suitable for children 7 and above, more-than-likely because of slightly more comical violent content (like Powerpuff Girls or Samurai Jack) that they probably wouldn't want impressionable younger kids to mimick, or more "older" situations that younger kids wouldn't understand (like Hey Arnold! or Recess). Likewise, a lot of PG-rated material is relatively kid-friendly for the most part, it's more of a concern of certain content, such as violence and such, plus swearing and otherwise bad language. Besides... you can't tell me that most of us here at MC shou;ldn't watch a show like SST since it's rated Y :stick_out_tongue:
Oh same difference :stick_out_tongue:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh yes God knows we wouldn't want their fragile little egg shell minds getting ::gulp:: confused! Oh the horror! Lol. (That wasn't directed at you Snowth, btw, just at the whole ratings system in general).
Yeah, the rating system really doesn't do much anymore... like Dtooth has said before, the G rating is pretty much useless nowadays, because G rating is basically becoming a way of saying "this is a watered-down little kiddy movie, and therefore, it's uncool to see this movie".

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah, the rating system really doesn't do much anymore... like Dtooth has said before, the G rating is pretty much useless nowadays, because G rating is basically becoming a way of saying "this is a watered-down little kiddy movie, and therefore, it's uncool to see this movie".
A ratings system on Television doesn't make much sense anyway. I mean with movies or video games, parents want to be able to judge something before they pay for it, and that's where the ratings system comes in. That at least makes some sense. But with Television you're not paying to see every individual episode of a kid's show. You're either paying for TV as whole or you're not. So just record one episode and watch it on your down time to see if it's appropriate for your kid. Case closed!