Kevin Clash Updates

D'Snowth

Reaction score

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't know what really happened in this particular situation obviously. But I don't like this statute of limitations nonsense when it comes to such a serious issue.

beaker

Reaction score
I was about to celebrate, like the judge saw strong evidence all three were lying.

Then my heart kind of sank reading this part

But the judge ruled that the "plaintiffs were aware of sufficient facts immediately following their victimization by the defendant to state claims" sooner.
"They were aware of the facts that, while minors, the defendant had engaged in sexual activities with them in violation of one or more federal statutes," Koeltl wrote. "The dates on which the plaintiffs connected their psychological injuries to their victimizations are irrelevant to the dates on which their claims accrued. ... While the plaintiffs may not have recognized the extent of their injuries, they were aware of the defendant's conduct towards them and could have brought claims."
So the judge is not at all saying their claims are untrue in the least, but shame on them for not just not reporting them but they 'knew' what they were getting into.
That's kind of disturbing.

This is an important story as Kevin Clash has literally been one of the most prominent performers in modern Muppet history, who's character for better or worse has been the most ubiquitous and visible.

It's just kind of heavy reading confirmation by a judge on all these claims, when I was hoping to hear the case thrown out because there wasn't sufficient evidence.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm not going to assume anything and I do not want to presume what's going on. But it's really fishy that they waited this long to seek any sort of legal action. Clearly they heard about someone getting hush money and wanted a piece of it. Any NORMAL person with the I.Q. of above a used toothbrush would have said something when it happened, not almost a decade later.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm not going to assume anything and I do not want to presume what's going on. But it's really fishy that they waited this long to seek any sort of legal action. Clearly they heard about someone getting hush money and wanted a piece of it. Any NORMAL person with the I.Q. of above a used toothbrush would have said something when it happened, not almost a decade later.
That's not true though, a lot of victims do wait. I'm not saying these guys are definitely victims, I don't know. But it is true that some genuine victims take a long time to come forward.

beaker

Reaction score
The interesting thing is, noone is denying their claims are false...that's the scary thing.
The idea of a prominent Muppet performer habitually going on teen chat rooms and...I hate to use the word luring, but I guess talking impressionable broken teenagers up...introducing alcohol or other substances and engaging in all sorts of sex acts.
I mean, ouch. I can only imagine the stress of his job and wrestling with a post divorced life, but couldnt he have found full on adult men for consenting sexual purposes in New York instead of this avenue? This situation isn't clouding my enjoyment of Jim Henson Hour and Muppets Tonight, but it does make me look at post millennial Sesame Street in a new life.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It is true that victims come out later. But in that case, it's their fault for waiting that long. I knew someone with an abusive husband that took forever for her to stand up to him the smallest amount to get a divorce, and he still harassed her. My family was VERY annoyed by her passiveness, even though we kept offering her help. On the one hand, yes, your a victim... but on the other hand, the longer you wait, the more you victimize yourself.

If what Kevin was doing was that bad, they should have said something right away. They didn't. They only acted because they knew they could get money. But then again, we're trusting the judgement of teenage boys who were on a chatroom. They gave their names and everything, something they've been telling kids since the 90's. Here's the thing. Imagine if it wasn't Kevin, but someone pretending to be them. They could have been killed. If Kevin did something, yes... shame on him. But they were dumb enough to go for it, so they aren't blameless.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It is true that victims come out later. But in that case, it's their fault for waiting that long. I knew someone with an abusive husband that took forever for her to stand up to him the smallest amount to get a divorce, and he still harassed her. My family was VERY annoyed by her passiveness, even though we kept offering her help. On the one hand, yes, your a victim... but on the other hand, the longer you wait, the more you victimize yourself.
I understand where you're coming from. It can be very frustrating when someone you care about doesn't help themselves.

Imagine if it wasn't Kevin, but someone pretending to be them. They could have been killed. If Kevin did something, yes... shame on him. But they were dumb enough to go for it, so they aren't blameless.
They were stupid, yes absolutely. Kids are often stupid. That's why adults need to be responsible.

Like I said, innocent until proven guilty. I just don't believe a crime like this should have a statute of limitations.