John Kennedy: Puppet Mania Review

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Many of you are familiar with John Kennedy's extensive resume with the Jim Henson Company over the past decade. He's been involved in almost every major production: Dinosaurs, Sesame Street, Telling Stories with Tomie DePaola, The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss, Muppets Tonight, Muppets From Space, and The Country Bears among others.

Now he has published a new book all about his experiences and how to build some extremely creative puppets. Check out our review of his book here...

http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/reviews/merchandise/puppet_mania.shtml

If you have already read Puppet Mania! or made some of John's puppets be sure to let us know what you think of this resource.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Nice to see a review of this! I really can't think of a better book that's been written about puppet building (intended for the craft market anyway).

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
I have this book already. I LOVE IT! I will be excited to see more books in this vein.

Erniebert1234ss :stick_out_tongue: :frown: :eek: :grouchy:

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
This book is an excellent resource for anyone who loves crafting. I personally gained some fantastic insight on the working mechanism of the blinking eye for puppets. His method in the book is a basic technique simplified for children, however, the ideas inside are also a great kick start for the aspiring puppet builder inside.

The book touches ideas in areas around the blinking eye, body rod puppets, sock puppets, puppets with arm rods, puppets from bottles & gloves, converting stuffed animals into puppets, and even simple puppet projects that would be great for party favors!

The book includes some patterns for several of the projects within, and there are wonderful tips on how to perform your character with realistic movements. I can't say enough about this book..... definately a must have! And a bargain at only $14.95 and you get it SIGNED if you purchase it directly from his website!

-Michele

PS: No, I'm not related, just an enthusiastic fan of the book. :stick_out_tongue:

Iggy35

Reaction score
Whats the deal with this book anyhow?
Is it similar to "The Muppets Make Puppets" or is it more advanced like "The Foam Book"?

IGGY35

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I think it's fair to say that's somewhat similar to (and probably partially inspired by) The Muppets Make Puppets. Both books are good "puppet making craft" books, but I think Puppet Mania's projects are a little more imaginative. I never really got any new ideas reading The Muppets Make Puppets but I got several reading Puppet Mania.

ToasterBoy

Reaction score
Rumor has it that John is working on a book much like the Foam Book as well.

Grant

ToasterBoy

Reaction score
John To Teach Class At UCF

Darn the 3,000 plus miles between me and Florida. I just found out starting next month John Kennedy will be teaching a puppety class at University Of Central Florida. So if you're in the area GO!

I searched UCF's website and didn't find anything about it on there, but I have it from a very reliable source that it's true.

Grant
slugpuppets.com

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Just an FYI, John Kennedy is appearing in Florida in March as guest of honour at the Megaplex 4 convention in Florida.

All the details are available at http://www.ppmp.info/

They will also be presenting the Funday Pawpet Show live during the convention.