Jim Henson's Puppet Improv March 8-12

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Hey all,

So there is a special event at the upcoming U.S. Comedy Festival called "Jim Henson's Puppet Improv" in Aspen. It's an adult only live performance and features some of the best Muppet performers. Presumably no Muppets though, since it's a Henson Co. event and Disney doesn't appear to be involved.

For more info check out - http://puppetvision.blogspot.com/2006/02/jim-hensons-puppet-improv.html

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
That's pretty cool news! It would be nice to see what they can come up with when they think outside of the established Muppet style of performing.

Also interesting is to see that Yerrid and Massey will be there. I guess this means they have been accepted into the Henson lineup of puppeteers, perhaps on a more permanent level now.

I hope it's a true improv and no pre-planned sketches. One of the traits of a great Muppet performer is doing improvs with the puppets, and being humorous while doing it. You can be a great puppeteer, but if you don't have the gift for improv, you can't be a real Muppeteer.

I hope the Puppeteers of America can work something out with the Henson's and videotape this event for other can see it in the future.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
This is the coolest, most original idea I've seen come out of either Muppet camp in years upon years! God, I've gotta see how I can get down there and view this firsthand! Someone had better release a DVD of this or something! We haven't seen an adult and "naughty" Jim Henson production since the old SNL Gorch skecthes of the mid 70's, so this is a landmark occassion!

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
OverUnderAround said:
Also interesting is to see that Yerrid and Massey will be there. I guess this means they have been accepted into the Henson lineup of puppeteers.
Drew and Victor have been working in the Henson lineup for years. Massey worked on Dinosaurs, Muppets Tonight, Muppets From Space, The Muppet Show Live, Its a Verry Merry Muppet Christmas Movie, The Muppets Wizard of Oz, and From the Balcony. Yerrid has worked on Bear in the Big Blue House, Muppets From Space, Farscape, and From the Balcony.

wes

Reaction score
It be to cool if they could get Frank Oz to come in and Puppeteer.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I'd like to second the defense of Victor and Drew. I don't think OverUnderAround meant any disrespect, but they are both very talented guys. It's a stellar lineup of puppetry talent.

Kevin the Frog

Reaction score
"The show is being advertised as "definately not for children" "......
This sounds very cool, but it doesn't appear to be an original idea in terms of puppetry. Maybe a first for the Henson group, but a certain name comes to mind. Anyways, I hope they take it somewhere else and create a new 'market' for their puppets.