Jim Henson Hour questions

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, here we go.

1 Jerry Nelson did not appear, either as himself nor performing any puppet characters, in the following episodes: 04, Dog City; 06, Monster Maker; and 11, Living With Dinosaurs.

Here's a list of the characters he did perform.
Joe Beth GarfToohoo, from Episode 01: Science-Fiction.
The Guy with a Fish Through his Head, from Episode 02: Aquatic Life.
Pumpkin, from Episode 02: Aquatic Life.
*Fred, from Episode 02's second half: Lighthouse Island.
*Mr. Harry Stapleton, from Episode 05: The Ratings Game.
*Jack, from Episode 07's second half: The Song of the Cloud Forest.
Dr. Emil Lundquist, from Episode 09: Garbage.
Beard, appears in all episodes except for 04, 06 and 11.
Note: Entries with a star denote when Jerry Nelson appeared as himself portraying a human character.

2 The All Dog Network Announcer.
First of all, the All Dog Network was a television channel Digit switched to during episode 04, which was to air the premiere of Dog City as a movie event. This channel was devoted exclusively to dogs or at least Muppet dogs, and programming geared towards them.
Secondly, the All Dog Network Announcer was an onscreen character. Here's the descript I got for him: A yellow dog who has white hair, baggy eyes, a large snout with a blackened blue nose, and a few lower teeth. He wore glasses and a brown suit. Not sure who performed him.
Third, his only appearance was in Episode 04, during the All Dog Network preshow portion preceeding Dog City.
Also, you shouldn't get this dog confused with Rover Cleveland, that's a mistake I made myself. Rover Cleveland is the offscreen reporter talking directly from the set of the movie's production at the beginning of the episode.

3 Sorry, but can't help with the monitors images. That falls into the visual category, not my strongest subject. You'd have to ask someone else like Xerus or MuppetDude.

4 Bunsen and Beaker appeared in Episode 07, Health & Fitness, demonstrating their latest invention... The Muppet Labs Exercise-o-Matic Boots.
Beaker was wearing a pair of workout boots while Bunsen gave the demo. The boots would start the workout after a gentle reminder... alarms go off. The boots stretch Beaker's legs to the left, mo mee memt, and then to the right, mo mee might. Then back together and wide apart, me thinks Beaker collapsed onto the floor temporarily.
The next bit was the funny part.
Bunsen: Due to the limitations of the work office, the boots are designed to maximize every bit of available surface space possible, as you're about to see now.
Beaker, marched by the boots, climbs the wall and starts walking on the ceiling.
Bunsen: But exercise should never superceed the busy work schedule. Therefore, the boots are designed to stop at the sound of a ringing telephone.
Phone rings, Beaker: Oh Mo!
Beaker then falls to the ground, and the answering machine kicks in.
Answering Machine: Bunsen: Hello, Beaker isn't here right now. Please leave your message at the tone of the meep. Beaker: Meep.

5 No, you're a bit confused.
"The Music Just Keeps on Rolling Along" by the Solid Foam is the opening number of Episode 08, Musicians. The closing number for that episode was a festive song and dance sketch at the club, with their special guest star Buster Poindexter.

6 Portions of the Electric Mayhem and Solid Foam did appear together in one episode. Zoot and Animal and Dr. Teeth were present in Episode 12, Food, along with the members of Solid Foam, and it's possible I might be confusing this with Episode 08, Musicians. You'd have to ask Xerus or MuppetDude to make double sure.

7 A bit of clarification regarding Frank's and Richard's appearances.
Frank performed Fozzie Bear and Miss Piggy in a total of three episodes:
03, Monster Telethon (Fozzie); 05, The Ratings Game (Piggy in the episode, and both in Miss Piggy's Hollywood); and 08, Musicians (Fozzie).
Richard performed Beaker and Statler in a total of three episodes:
05, The Ratings Game (Statler); 07, Health & Fitness (Both); and 08, Musicians (Statler).
So it's a bit of a misnomer to say that one of the two had more or fewer appearances than the other.

Also, you have to remember that though it might have been nice to get classic sketches like PIS or Vet's Hospital, this was a show for Jim to offer up a bunch of new stuff he and JHC were working on at the time involving the Muppets. Therefore, stuff like Merlin the Magician MD, Hurting Something, and the Solid Foam were necessary to help build up the interest in the show as something new while keeping some of the mystique/nostalgia of the Muppets themselves.
Hope this helps and have a good day.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The Count said:
Portions of the Electric Mayhem and Solid Foam did appear together in one episode. Zoot and Animal and Dr. Teeth were present in Episode 12, Food, along with the members of Solid Foam, and it's possible I might be confusing this with Episode 08, Musicians. You'd have to ask Xerus or MuppetDude to make double sure.
I know that dr. teeth appeared in a recording booth during "the music just keeps on rolling along" in the jim henson hour episode Musicians, while animal and zoot replaced the drummer and flash as part of the solid foam band in Food.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The Count said:
Beard, appears in all episodes except for 04, 06 and 11.
Actually, I don't think beard appeared in the first episode, Science Fiction. While I haven't seen this episode since it's original broadcast, I read the script and looked at the pictures in the tough pigs anthology. Beard was not mentioned by name in the script, and I didn't see him in any of the pictures. I could be wrong, but based on that information I don't think he was in there.

beard appeared in Monster telethon but didn't talk, and jerry nelson didn't appear in that episode.

I knew about statler and waldorfs cameo in The ratings Game, but I thought I read somewhere that he was suspiciosuly silent in that scene, while waldorf gave a set-up and punchline to a joke. Also, I asked about what episodes richard hunt was in, and since somebody only listed the health and fitness episode, I thought that meant he wasn't in any other episodes (besides Miss Piggys Hollywood).

TotallySpiesFan

Reaction score
I have a serious question.

Did Boppity and Gloat really appear in "The Jim Henson Hour"? If so, what episode did they appear in and what did they do?