Jazzy Spies #9

matthewxel

Reaction score
Does anyone know about Jazzy Spies #9 and what happened in it?

And is it true that at the begining of the cartoon there was some guy who hits a TOOTER-TOPPER?

I've read from Mikealan that there was, and I'd like to know, WHAT IS A TOOTER TOPPER?!!?

MuppetDude

Reaction score
He probably meant a "teeter-totter", or a see-saw.

mikealan

Reaction score
matthewxel said:
Does anyone know about Jazzy Spies #9 and what happened in it?

And is it true that at the begining of the cartoon there was some guy who hits a TOOTER-TOPPER?

I've read from Mikealan that there was, and I'd like to know, WHAT IS A TOOTER TOPPER?!!?
I think I remember seeing it when I was born in Season 18 (i think) I used to have it on my compilation from Season 18, but unfortunately, I don't have it anymore and none of us has it.

But I can tell you that on Jazzy Spies#9, it starts with some man hitting the pole so we can see the number 9 appearing that towards us the screen. After the theme with the fingers and the race cars, it starts with the red large number 9 being drawn on the yellow screen and maybe some wires hang up the nine as the Grace Slick-voice calls "Niiiinnneee!" Then it fades to nine flowers (I think) in nine boxes then changed into red little 9's then to nine spirals then to 9's again then to nine red Valentine's day hearts then to 9's again. Then came a dancing dog next to the pole that has a blue nine on the yellow picture (i think) then the dog sits down and takes off his hat revealing his 9 on his head then the cane swoops it away to reveal the yellow large 9 then at the end is just ten spies revealing the #'s 1-10 but as the spies fade away, the numbers did NOT grow into the screen! That's all I remember what happened on Jazzy Spies#9.

rjschex

Reaction score
Here's how it goes:

(silent opening) A short man (with a slightly noticeable 9 on his shirt) jumps off a high dive platform. He lands on a seesaw, catapulting a red 9 toward the screen.

(fingers/race cars)

Red 9 is "drawn" on chartreuse background. Background is raised like a window shade (complete with pull ring) to reveal a nine-paned square window. Clouds are in the bottom of the window; a red sun giving off rays is just visible below the clouds. The "sun" rises into the center pane--the "sun" is actually a nine. The nine panes then rotate to reveal a cowboy hat in each square. A child (all different races and genders) settles into each cowboy hat. As each child takes off his hat, his head disappears below; his arm and the hat form a red 9. Each 9 then swirls like a yin-yang, becoming eventually an apple. The camera focuses on a spot of light on each apple, the light being a reflection of a 9-pane window with a 9 in each pane. Each "9" then opens up into a red heart, then closes up again.
This screen is then lifted up (like a stage curtain) to reveal a vaudeville dancing goat--Slick then says "ny-un" (the pronunciation used by telephone operators). The goat has a cane, a top hat, and a "9" card around his neck. Next to the goat is an easel with a chartreuse "9" on it. While dancing, he does a pratfall. He lifts off his top hat, to reveal his horn. A stage hook then comes by, pushing the easel off screen and pulling the goat away in the opposite direction. As he's pulled away, his horn comes off and spirals toward the screen, becoming a nine.

(spies)

NOTES:
[1] The goat makes a cameo appearance in Jazzy Spies #10, along with the George Washington statuettes (#2), the juggler (#3), the elephant (#4), the crocodile (#5), the mosquito (#6), the wizard (#7), and the octopus (#8).

[2] #9, along with #7 and #10, has noticeably different color quality. The psychedelic backgrounds appear somewhat grainy, and the color is somewhat faded. Other differences: {1} on the others (2,3,4,5,6,8) the number in the silent opening appears within a circle, not so for 7/9/10; {2} on 7/9/10 the number (after the race cars) is "drawn" full-screen on a solid color background; on the others, it's drawn inside the square opening of one of the psych backgrounds (the one that appears last, right before the spies).

[3] On the copy I have, the "growing numbers on yellow background" at the very end fades out in the middle. The reason I suspect this to be so:

---I remember from the mid-70's that one of the JS segments (possibly #9) was usually followed by a B&E sketch that begins with Ernie watching the "growing numbers" ending on his TV.

ssetta

Reaction score
I think that was actually the #8 version. It ended with them watching that sketch, and they played a game where Ernie said, "I '1' the Sandbox", and Bert would say "I '2' the sandbox", and it went on like that. Maybe that's why.

jellyman kelly

Reaction score
ssetta said:
I think that was actually the #8 version. It ended with them watching that sketch, and they played a game where Ernie said, "I '1' the Sandbox", and Bert would say "I '2' the sandbox", and it went on like that. Maybe that's why.
this one where they cut to ernie at the end is the only one i really remember properly..i remember every time jazzy spies came on, i would hope it was that version....

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
If any of you want to see the actual artwork used in the Jazzy Spies series, from #2 through #10, then buy THE SESAME STREET BOOK OF NUMBERS from Time-Life Books, copyright 1970.

Very psychedelic.

Ebay has it. It's looooooonnnng out of print.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
is that book still in print? originally i was going to go to the library to see if they had it and possibly check out other ones if they had it and forgot about it.

Censored

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
is that book still in print? originally i was going to go to the library to see if they had it and possibly check out other ones if they had it and forgot about it.

It's possible, but eBay would probably be a better bet for finding it. I got mine at a local thrift store.

Soul H

Reaction score
At what points did Grace say 9 in the cartoon?

rjschex said:
Here's how it goes:

(silent opening) A short man (with a slightly noticeable 9 on his shirt) jumps off a high dive platform. He lands on a seesaw, catapulting a red 9 toward the screen.

(fingers/race cars)

Red 9 is "drawn" on chartreuse background. Background is raised like a window shade (complete with pull ring) to reveal a nine-paned square window. Clouds are in the bottom of the window; a red sun giving off rays is just visible below the clouds. The "sun" rises into the center pane--the "sun" is actually a nine. The nine panes then rotate to reveal a cowboy hat in each square. A child (all different races and genders) settles into each cowboy hat. As each child takes off his hat, his head disappears below; his arm and the hat form a red 9. Each 9 then swirls like a yin-yang, becoming eventually an apple. The camera focuses on a spot of light on each apple, the light being a reflection of a 9-pane window with a 9 in each pane. Each "9" then opens up into a red heart, then closes up again.
This screen is then lifted up (like a stage curtain) to reveal a vaudeville dancing goat--Slick then says "ny-un" (the pronunciation used by telephone operators). The goat has a cane, a top hat, and a "9" card around his neck. Next to the goat is an easel with a chartreuse "9" on it. While dancing, he does a pratfall. He lifts off his top hat, to reveal his horn. A stage hook then comes by, pushing the easel off screen and pulling the goat away in the opposite direction. As he's pulled away, his horn comes off and spirals toward the screen, becoming a nine.

(spies)

NOTES:
[1] The goat makes a cameo appearance in Jazzy Spies #10, along with the George Washington statuettes (#2), the juggler (#3), the elephant (#4), the crocodile (#5), the mosquito (#6), the wizard (#7), and the octopus (#8).

[2] #9, along with #7 and #10, has noticeably different color quality. The psychedelic backgrounds appear somewhat grainy, and the color is somewhat faded. Other differences: {1} on the others (2,3,4,5,6,8) the number in the silent opening appears within a circle, not so for 7/9/10; {2} on 7/9/10 the number (after the race cars) is "drawn" full-screen on a solid color background; on the others, it's drawn inside the square opening of one of the psych backgrounds (the one that appears last, right before the spies).

[3] On the copy I have, the "growing numbers on yellow background" at the very end fades out in the middle. The reason I suspect this to be so:

---I remember from the mid-70's that one of the JS segments (possibly #9) was usually followed by a B&E sketch that begins with Ernie watching the "growing numbers" ending on his TV.