James Bobin to direct Muppets new theatrical movie

What do you think of James Bobin directing the new Muppet film?

• He's a great choice!

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • I would have preferred someone else. (Post who below)

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I'm undecided right now.

Votes: 18 45.0%

• Total voters

MichaelB

Reaction score
I thought that Jason Segel was going to direct as well as write. Oh, well. It's always good to get some new perspective, especially when trying to resurrect something. I hope that Bobin looks to some of the old-timers for advice, so that it doesn't become a bunch of little non-sequitur shtick. (Quentin Tarrantino? Come on!) I'm trusting that the Jason Segel script is true to the spirit of the original Muppets.

Luke

Reaction score
He is a fantastic director, a little quirky but not too controversial - and he seems to be looking into doing something with the musical side of things so along with Segal it sounds like a very classic style project with a bit of updating. Also, with the Meatballs director i think it would have been in danger of turning into yet another unfunny, trying to be hip type project you see with a lot of the animations. Also good to see them using British people who are pretty hot right now.

I realistically don't think there was ever a chance of Frank Oz, and as far as using the regular Muppet writers/directors as DW said, i'm sure they will be involved, but a project on this level and also when they are meant to be relaunching the brand really needs someone fresh and up and coming.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Also, with the Meatballs director i think it would have been in danger of turning into yet another unfunny, trying to be hip type project you see with a lot of the animations. Also good to see them using British people who are pretty hot right now.
When was the Meatballs director announced? I would hate the project to try to be hipper than it was. That's the problem I have with MupOz... too many flash in the pan pop culture references... the whole movie was supposed to be a paralel to American idol. VMX made a lot of lame references, but some of them worked quite well... still think the Crock Hunter thing didn't need to be in there, though...

I realistically don't think there was ever a chance of Frank Oz, and as far as using the regular Muppet writers/directors as DW said, i'm sure they will be involved, but a project on this level and also when they are meant to be relaunching the brand really needs someone fresh and up and coming.
I agree... keeping our hopes up that he'd return, even behind the screen isn't gonna happen. But then again, he directed the Stepford Wives remake that was on every critics "worst movie of the year" list.... what made him chose to direct that instead of working with the Muppets that time is beyond me.

mjb1124

Reaction score
At least on paper, this seems like a great choice. They need people who can help give the Muppets universal appeal again.... to elevate them above the level of a nostalgia trip or something for the kids in the eyes of the masses. They're definitely headed in the right direction with the YouTube videos and I think this movie may very well be the culmination of the Great Muppet Comeback.

6ftInchworm

Reaction score
You know, I just realized something, a observation if you will.

Guys, who directed "The Muppet Movie"? Exactly. James Frawley never worked with the Muppets before or after the movie, but you know why he was brought in? He shared the humor and "the right combination" with the Muppets, and look what happened to that movie! Judging by what I'm seeing with James, I'm hoping he was brought in for the same reason.

Thought I should point that out.

The Muppaphone

Reaction score
Guys, who directed "The Muppet Movie"? Exactly. James Frawley never worked with the Muppets before or after the movie, but you know why he was brought in? He shared the humor and "the right combination" with the Muppets, and look what happened to that movie! Judging by what I'm seeing with James, I'm hoping he was brought in for the same reason.

Didn't even think of that. Great point!

I personally am pretty optimistic about this choice. As a pretty big Conchords fan, I agree that the music and comedy sensibility from working on that show should translate well to directing the muppets. One of the reasons my room mates and I love Conchords is that the comedy is smart, fairly clean, and a lot of it has a sort of timeless feeling to it, very similar to that of the Muppets.

Of course, I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch :concern:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Wasn't there a bad vibe on the set of the first Muppet Movie due to the director not understanding the Muppets' dynamic? Either way, it worked! TMM is my favorite Muppet film. :wink:

I think this choice really could work. I'd have preferred Thatcher or Oz, but this guy seems to understand humor and character quirks too.

Mupp

Reaction score
You know, I just realized something, a observation if you will.

Good point!

dabauckham

Reaction score
I am a HUGE HUGE "Flight of the Conchords" fan. If you all haven't checked out that show, you simply must. Great comedic pacing, amazing musical numbers, it's brilliant. To me, Bobin seems like an excellent pick for the new Muppet movie. I think he will take the Muppets to the next level while retaining their core. I am really really PUMPED! :big_grin: