James Bobin to direct Muppets new theatrical movie

What do you think of James Bobin directing the new Muppet film?

• He's a great choice!

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • I would have preferred someone else. (Post who below)

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I'm undecided right now.

Votes: 18 45.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/01/muppet_movie_director_flight_o.html
The Flight of the Conchords may be permanently grounded at HBO, but one of its guiding forces may soon help the Muppets take flight. Vulture has learned that James Bobin, who co-created the critically praised, ratings-challenged, and now-defunct cable show, is being offered the director's chair today on Walt Disney Pictures’ next Muppet movie. A Disney insider tells Vulture that while no deal has been finalized, "the movie is James' to direct — if he wants it." Neither the studio nor Bobin's reps at Creative Artists would comment, but involved sources say that the plan is to put the film into production by late summer.
However, complicating matters is that Bobin has a second offer coming in today: He’s being wooed by Universal to direct Bridesmaids, a Judd Apatow comedy co-written by Saturday Night Live’s Kristen Wiig about two women battling to plan their friend’s wedding party. While it would seem that a guy associated with a song entitled, “Too Many ***** (on the Dance Floor)” would gravitate toward an Apatow raunchfest, a home run with the fun-for-all-ages Muppets has the potential to be a much bigger hit and career boost for a director who has largely dealt in niche favorites.
And it’s not like he’d be dealing solely in kiddie humor. The original Muppet Show was envisioned by Jim Henson as an adult show that was suitable for kids, and Bobin's hiring is in keeping with that ethic; he was also a writer on Da Ali G Show. The script, intended to revitalize the franchise, was co-written by known puppetphile Jason Segel and his Forgetting Sarah Marshall director Nicholas Stoller. (Perhaps the new Muppet movie will begin with five minutes of full-frontal Gonzo nudity?) Stoller was originally supposed to direct the Muppet movie, but he was too busy doing postproduction on the Russell Brand Marshall spinoff, Get Him to the Greek, as well as prepping to direct a new Zac Efron movie at Warner Bros.
So, pop quiz: Who would win in a fight between the Conchords' Rhymenocerous and the Muppets' Miss Piggy?
Trick question! The correct answer is: The American moviegoing public.
This is all just too exciting!

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Hmmm.

It's exciting to hear that they're making plans for the movie... but another TV director? Didn't they learn their lesson from Muppets from Space?

I was kind of hoping Frank would be the first one offered the job. Or Brian Henson. Anyway, very exciting to hear news about the project, especially news about a director. Hopefully, Mr. Bobin is worthy of the task.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I was kind of hoping Frank would be the first one offered the job. Or Brian Henson. Anyway, very exciting to hear news about the project, especially news about a director. Hopefully, Mr. Bobin is worthy of the task.
I was hoping for Frank too... but I was ALSO hoping for one of the writers. And as was said, they're busy with other projects. Seems that Flight of the Concords is similar in style of humor to their script, and a close approximation of their vision.

As long as they don't get the guy FROM Muppets from Space, we'll be fine. Oh, and as long as it doesn't look like a bad trip 1960's episode of Batman, like Oz was.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It's hard to tell who'd be best, but I'd like Disney to pick a director that would make certain that the Muppets are geared to all ages and not just the Swamp Years kiddies. Also, that the Muppets should be allowed to shine in all their glory and not just sit around the house reading the newspaper. I thought it would be Thatcher. He gets the Muppet dynamic, but do you think it's time for someone fresh? I don't know. Frank would have been an interesting choice...if he'd do it.

theprawncracker

Reaction score

Super Scooter

Reaction score
OK. I'm sold, if for no other reason than that he passed up the chance to direct a Judd Apatow production to do it, and that's a huge thing in today's comedy world.

I was also hoping Kirk Thatcher would be involved in some way, which I'm sure he will. He's my favorite current Muppet writer, and... I mean, he did direct Bohemian Rhapsody. He's one of the main figures responsible for the Muppet "comeback/revolution/what-have-you." But, it's also exciting to see what a new director will do.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well I can say that bringing in new blood is a little scary, but at the same time it will be interesting to see what kind of direction he takes the movie in.