It's Official: Disney completes Muppet acquisition

McFraggle

Reaction score
Yep, whenever Jim Hill is wrong he will say "we'll I was wrong but... because of me Chris Curtin was put in charge of leading the division." I don't put a lot of stock in tabloid journalism, because half of the time his "sources" are just fanboys with opinions.

Bean Bunny

Reaction score
I find it funny that Jim Hill is now attacking Screamscape with a rumor that he posted on his site. The Screamscape guy knows about Hill's article and he tells him that the rumour about the "Western River Expedition" being added to Calforina Adventure is just a rumor, but from a well know source. Jim's responds to this by writing another article today about the rumor. So far he has written three articles about this. Okay, here's my point. Whether it's Muppets, Micky Mouse or Michael Eisner, Jim Hill will proably make stuff up half the time and talk to imaginary sources within Disney and Henson. :smile:

Raech

Reaction score
I wish someone who loved the Disney Parks and the characters and movies took place instead of Eisner. That man has run Disney into the ground.

I haven't been to Disnelyand in like 3 yrs but it used to be spanking fresh and even the themed trash cans were freshly painted. Now everything looks shaby under Eisner who obviously doesn't get it and doesn't care.

Disneyland was shabby and sadder when I went 3 yrs ago. And don't get me started about that abbomination he attached to it.

I would love to see Eisner out do that the Muppets and all Disney properties could flourish. My two cents. My opinions are my own.

But I see a lack of interrest or understanding from Eisner. A lack of caring about why things are good and why characters are good, why the parks were good....

Since he doesn't care. I don't see a lot of optimism w/o someone else taking charge of the Muppets in Disney.

I did not read why the Muppets were sold. I was very sad though. I hope it was only out of deep need and not want of money or money fighting. I was very surprised when I read Disney bought them.

Hope this means no ill will toward future Farscape projects. Since the creature shop is all but dead.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
RightHandMan said:
What a mess.
You've all discussed Muppet merchandise, Eisner, company politics, etc. But the really important thing here how this affects the people at Henson. This being a fan site, I think you would be concerned about the people who have invented, designed & created the Muppets over all of these 30+ years.

The Muppet Workshop in NYC has but all disappeared (5 people service Sesame Street) from the Jim Henson Company. The LA Creature Shop (who is now in charge of the Muppet characters) is a shadow of it's former self. Henson Product & Publishing people are all gone. They even fired their Production & Development teams. There is no Muppet creative left at Henson & Disney knows nothing about puppetry & puppet design. And all of the very talented 50+ former Henson employess who helped build this empire are floating around looking for work.

If you are looking for a certain continuity of characters at Disney you may be disappointed. I doubt that they will preserve the true nature of the Muppets.
The Muppet humor & behaviour will be watered down. The Muppet edge will be lost. We will most likely lose some of the performers that give them that special edge because Disney doesn't care about that stuff. For them, it's only about graphic images & merchandise.

The Muppet characters may be sucessful at DIsney, but they will change. They will not be the friends we have all grown to know & love. It will be like all TV characters when they are reborn. Take "Lamb Chop" for example.
Shari Lewis introduced Lamb Chop in the early 60's. This critter was edgy & Shari was too. They disappeared for a while & then came back in the late 80's. They were awful - like Barny. That's what will happen to the Muppet characters.

Very sad!
Very sad, indeed.

:rolleyes: *shaks his head*
Lission Pal.... NO ONE know whats going to happen with "Disneys Muppets" now ok? The thing is, we're all hear for the ride. The deal is sealed and closed, Mickey owns them lock stock and barrel...so un-less you have millions and thousands of $$$ to by back the Muppets from Disney (witch id dought they would sell them for any $$ b/c they have been at this for 15 years for this to happen) When i called Disney (the lady in Eisners office waz named Misty, who waz very swett and kind to me on the phone, i waz calling Disney about a animated movie i had in mind, it sounds like a GO to the way she sayed it all i need now is an Agent) sounded VERY happy that Kermit & Co joined Disney. and she sayed she CANT wate for NEW Muppet projets she heard they have in the wings for us (she hints Muppet babies on PlayHouse Disney and Muppets OZ moive too me and a posible Muppets @ WDW DVD "soon" and she sayed they POP in here on MC every know and then on the Forums, so your doin Good Phil, lol) :smile: But like i sayed pal we ALL hear for the ride and it looks like its gonna be fun..... but then theres the People who mone and gron about "we dont have enuff Muppet Movies or Merch or what ever, then somthing Good comes along like this and People STILL mone and groon, but any ways.... in an odd way I think Jim and Walt up there planned for THIS deal to happen (but thats what i feel any wayz) :smirk:

Elbarbo

Reaction score
Times over....

I think what everyone is forgetting about is how can his son give up what his father fought for so long and hard to create. Im sure there were times when Jim was approached himself, but he had a dream and wanted to see it out. All disney wants is a Icon they can profit from and more puppets to put in there Parks!

Shame on you Brian for giving in, You never could live up to your father.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Elbarbo said:
I think what everyone is forgetting about is how can his son give up what his father fought for so long and hard to create. Im sure there were times when Jim was approached himself, but he had a dream and wanted to see it out. All disney wants is a Icon they can profit from and more puppets to put in there Parks!
I'm sure many people would take this moment to point out that Jim Henson himself was planning to sell the Muppets and his company to Disney shortly before his untimely death...

McFraggle

Reaction score
AndyWan Kenobi said:
I'm sure many people would take this moment to point out that Jim Henson himself was planning to sell the Muppets and his company to Disney shortly before his untimely death...
Andy, thanks for saying it before I had to. :smile:

Jennifer

Reaction score
Remember, the last time the Muppets collaborated with Disney we got something as good as "MuppetVision 3-D". Here's hoping we still will.

Even though I don't always agree with the decisions the present-day Disney company has made (and I hope Eisner doesn't let the door hit him in the rear end on the way out), Disney holds enough of a place in my heart that I have faith in it. As for whether Disney's done anything good lately...well, there's Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Lilo & Stitch, and Fantasia 2000 (I dare you not to clap at the end of the "Rhapsody in Blue" sequence). Among others in my opinion (I liked Brother Bear.)

Is it me or did anyone else think Monsters, Inc. was very Henson-ish? Maybe it was no coincidence that Frank Oz did a voice. (Side note: according to IMDB, Pixar's staying with Disney after all!)

There's a good article here at toughpigs.com about the deal and Danny's feelings on it. He makes good points about the advertising muscle that will now be behind the Muppets. Better to have them over-promoted than under-promoted, or treated as a nostalgia piece only (though we certainly shouldn't ignore nostalgia). I'd love to see them re-release the movie soundtracks on CD, maybe do a wider release of Muppet Shows, even release some of the early stuff like Frog Prince and Muppet Musicians of Bremen on DVD.

Besides, both Disney and Jim Henson were architects of my childhood dreams. So why shouldn't they collaborate? :smile: