It just isn't fair

muppetmayhem

Reaction score
It just isn't fair. Sesame street... Fraggle rock

why is it that sesame street has been playing on television forever and will be on television forever but all of the other shows like fraggle rock and muppet show have to quit playing after a while. I do not know about you guys but I would rather watch fraggles than watch sesame street/ at least that is my opinion. do any of you feel the same. I miss Fraggle Rock and The Muppet Show. :excited: :mad:

Jonathan

Reaction score
Mainly because people today dont like good clean comedy. They are in to shows that curs,flick people off,makefun of diffrent ethnic groups,and violets.And the muppets do not fit into any of those categores! But we can only hope that Disney and HIT will but these shows backon the air as sone as poseble.

Iggy35

Reaction score
Jonathan said:
Mainly because people today dont like good clean comedy. They are in to shows that curs,flick people off,makefun of diffrent ethnic groups,and violets.And the muppets do not fit into any of those categores! But we can only hope that Disney and HIT will but these shows backon the air as sone as poseble.

And if it isn't, we'll go round their house and smash their knackers in!! :wink:

IGGY35

McFraggle

Reaction score
muppetmayhem said:
why is it that sesame street has been playing on television forever and will be on television forever but all of the other shows like fraggle rock and muppet show have to quit playing after a while. I do not know about you guys but I would rather watch fraggles than watch sesame street/ at least that is my opinion. do any of you feel the same. I miss Fraggle Rock and The Muppet Show. :excited: :mad:
Partly because "Sesame Street" has been on public television and has built a strong following over the years. It is a show designed for children, and does not have to hold up to the strong ratings demands that a show like "Muppets Tonight" had to when it was on ABC. If "SS" had been on ABC, CBS, or NBC on Saturday mornings, who knows how long it would have lasted. That being said I do prefer the "TMS" Muppets to the "SS" gang. :smile:

Gusworld

Reaction score
As far as SS versus TMS goes: SS is always going to have an advantage here, because it's designed as an _educational_ show with a specific audience target audience: children of pre-school age. As long as people keep having kids, there's always going to be a new market for the show, and there'll always be new episodes being produced (even if the quantities are somewhat lower these days).

TMS was designed purely as entertainment, and entertainment is necessarily cyclical. It's remarkable for most entertainment formats to run even as long as TMS did; viewer tastes change. We might not like the fact they change, but there's no point pretending everyone just wants to go back to 1980. At least we've got most of the eps available on DVD now.

While for us fans, Fraggle Rock is also more than just "entertainment" -- because we know the background of why it got created -- the average viewer doesn't have that perception. It's just an old kids show, and not one with a particular educational mandate. Unless someone decides to produce new episodes (and why spend all that money on pupeteers when offshore animation is so much cheaper?), I suspect nothing much is going to change on that front.

OK, I'll end Oscar mode now!

Cheers
Angus

McFraggle

Reaction score
Gusworld said:
As far as SS versus TMS goes: SS is always going to have an advantage here, because it's designed as an _educational_ show with a specific audience target audience: children of pre-school age. As long as people keep having kids, there's always going to be a new market for the show, and there'll always be new episodes being produced (even if the quantities are somewhat lower these days).

TMS was designed purely as entertainment, and entertainment is necessarily cyclical. It's remarkable for most entertainment formats to run even as long as TMS did; viewer tastes change. We might not like the fact they change, but there's no point pretending everyone just wants to go back to 1980. At least we've got most of the eps available on DVD now.
Very well said. :smile:

Movies205

Reaction score
Good things don't last forever :smile: You should be thankful that TMS didn't last that long, actually. Look at the simpsons, the series is practically dead, it's like they've put it on life-support just so they could continue to whore it out. Don't get me wrong it still funny but no where near as good as it was before, so hence it's reputation has been tarnished. It's best to go out on top like Seinfeld which will be remembered for a long itme because every episode is good. TMS and Fraggle rock had good runs 5-6 seasons, they probably could of had another good season but for the most part it was good. Good things especially in media or writing should always come to again, or they'll run out of steam and die horribly

Cheebo

Reaction score
Hey, at least we have a muppet show on TV still. Even if it is Sesame. And I for one prefer the Sesame Muppets to the Fraggles. :eek: