Is Frank a sellout?

Elchippo

Reaction score
Ever since I realized Eric Jacobson has taken over Fozzie, Piggy, etc. (and I'm ashamed to admit how long it took me to discover this) it has had me wondering:

Why? Why did Frank Oz leave the Muppets? Perhaps a more knowledgable member here might know, but let's face it: Everything Frank has career-wise is due to his work with the Muppets. All the other projects its lead to evolved out of his work with Jim and the Company. Doesn't that make it seem he's sort of a traitor for abandoning them to make horrible movies like the Stepford Wives remake? (I actually like all of his movies except that one).

He was young when he started, and it isn't all that old now, so it's not like retirement a la Jerry Nelson. Was he bitter that Marlon brando chastised him while filming "The Score" and wouldn't take direction from him because he was better at "sticking his hand up a pig's ***** and making it talk"? :mad: Did he want to remove himself from the muppets because of that?

:attitude: I suppose this is sort of an ethical dilemma: is it Frank's right to abandon the Muppets after 40-odd years as their creative nucleus, owing them all the success he's achieved as a filmmaker? Doesn't he owe the company more than that? Or should he be able to do so, feeling perhaps that he had accomplished all he could and needed to pursue other things?

I know that he even persuaded George Lucas to make Yoda CG for Ep. 2 &3 because he didn't want to do the puppet, like it was some burden on him. Does he just want to abandon puppetry altogether?

This thread might stir up a hornet's nest, :embarrassed: but I think its worth discussing.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I think that Yoda was CG in Episodes II and III because of the requirements of those films. Yoda had to do so much that couldn't have been accomplished in the same way with a puppet, and it would have been too jarring to go back and forth between the two. In for a penny, in for a pound.

As for Frank Oz, I don't in any way consider him a sellout, or see him as having "abandoned" anything. I'm sure he has his own reasons for following the path that he has, and I don't feel myself capable of judging it. After all, I don't know the man personally, so I can't speak for his intentions or motivations. I do think, though, that it's better for him to do what he wants to do (whatever that is) than to do what other people expect of him. After all, if he didn't want to be doing the Muppets anymore and kept doing them anyway, it probably wouldn't be good for him or the Muppets.

I do appreciate all of the work he's done, though, with the Muppets and otherwise.

Daylight

Reaction score
Maybe it was just time for Frank to move on. As life goes on, people change and most like to try new things instead of spending their lives in one career. And above all, Frank Oz is a person with his own dreams. He should be free to do what he wants. He gave as much to the company with performance and creativity as they gave to him in help starting his career. Frank didn't abandon the Muppets. He slowly distanced himself from them and let a new talented puppetteer step up and have his turn in the spotlight (or for puppetteers should that be turn down in the pit?) Yes, I miss him greatly, but unfortunately, as with all things in life, things change.

Muppet Matt

Reaction score
I think he did what he wanted to do, and I think that's all right. I miss him a lot too, he still gives four days a year to SS. Does anyone think he left because it brought back to many memories of Jim?

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
Frank a sellout? Never.

I think Frank's departure is based on several things, mainly... that Jim is no longer around.

Jim and Frank's relationship was unique between them only.
They were the Abbott and Costello and the Laurel and Hardy of the puppeteering world.

Frank hanged around with the other muppeteers after Jim's death but it wasn't the same for him.

He had the option of a new career and took it which I'm sure the decision did not come easy.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Muppet Matt said:
I think he did what he wanted to do, and I think that's all right. I miss him a lot too, he still gives four days a year to SS. Does anyone think he left because it brought back to many memories of Jim?
Yeah. I think that was one of the main reasons. Many sources say that Frank hasn't been into it since Jim died. In fact I could picture the poor guy in tears after Bert and Ernie's "Things I Remember" song, seeing all those clips of Jim's Ernie. Still, it's good to know that he's alive and well. Also, I've always felt Eric does a real good job with his characters for the most part. I would never have noticed a difference. It's good to know his characters are in good hands.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
I'm not a Doctor Who fan myself, but one of my good friends is a rabid Dr. Who fan, and he said that when one of the actors who played the arch villian died (from cancer, I think), then the actor who played Dr. Who did not want to continue in the role because it was very sad. A new incarnation of Dr. Who was born with a new actor, who brought his own uniqueness to the mix.

And at the risk of sounding like everybody's mother, I wish we could all keep our tone respectful while still expressing our thoughts--especially about people to whom we owe a great debt of gratitude.

froggiegirl18

Reaction score
Can we still write to Frank and let him know that we miss him? And give him some encouragment as well?

Muppet Matt

Reaction score
Yes, if you have an sddress.
Does anyone have any addresses for Frank?

superboober

Reaction score
Why don't you check the Director's Guild of America's website? It's a reasonable bet he's registered there, and if they don't give you his info directly, it'll probably give you someone who represents him (I tried this last year while trying to get in touch with John Hughes, and it led me more or less to his representative team--more or less being hte key word).