In honor of the 50th anniversary of the moon landing…

SesameMike

Reaction score
In honor of the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing, I have here a description of a sketch where Mr. Hooper and Susan went to the moon.

Scene: a plain background with a freestanding chalkboard, and 3 boulders in the foreground. The background music is "space-like".

Susan (S) and Mr. Hooper (H) come walking in wearing spacesuits. They move with a sort of "bounce-like" slow-motion, suggesting low gravity.

H: Well, here we are! At last!
S: On the moon?
H: On. The. Moon. Now Lieutenant, I'm going to go over there to explore that crater. (Points offscreen) But while I'm gone, I have a mission for you.
S: What's that?
H: I want you to count all the rocks in this area. (Points around) And when you are done, to write the number on this blackboard.
S: Got it.
H: And we are lucky the last astronaut left us this blackboard.
(Mr. Hooper deftly leaps off-camera to the left)
S: OK, now to count the rocks. 1..., 2..., 3. Three rocks. (Writes a 3 on the blackboard.)
(The background music then shifts to a faster "woop-woop-woop" mode as one of the rocks spontaneously lifts up and flies away)
S: Oh well, 1 from 3, is 2. Cross out this 3, and put a 2 there. (Does just that on the blackboard)
(Music shifts again, and another rock takes off.)
S: Oh well, 1 from 2, is 1. Cross out this 2, and put a 1 there. (Does just that on the blackboard)
(Music shifts again, and the last rock becomes airborne.)
S: Oh well, 1 from 1, is none. (Puts a zero on the blackboard)
(Mr. Hooper bounces back into the scene.)
H: Well Lieutenant, how many rocks were there?
S: Zero. There are no rocks. (Points to blackboard). See, zero.
H: That's not right. I saw some rocks when I left.
S: Yeah, but, they flew away.
H: Impossible. Things cannot just fly away.
(Music shifts, and Mr. Hooper levitates and disappears offscreen)
H: Lieutenant! Things just cannot flyyyyy, awayyyyyyyy!
S: (Looks at camera and shrugs shoulders)

----------------------------------
I think that look back at the zero on the blackboard was an opportunity to shift Mr. Hooper into chroma key, in order for him to "fly away".

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Is this an actual sketch that aired on the show? :confuse:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, thanks, wasn't sure if this was a legit sketch or some sort of fanfic oneshot.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I know there was a Friday episode that aired late in Season 12 which involved all of the street scenes linked into a full storyline in which Oscar went to the moon. I believe it was titled "Close Encounters of the Worst Kind". It was a pretty interesting episode, and perhaps one of the best episodes of that season.

Surprising that the "Yip-Yip" Martians never appeared in this episode, nor the sketch on Episode 524.

SesameMike

Reaction score
One other Project Apollo-inspired segment was where Grover was introducing the letter R. If I remember correctly, he asked the letter to demonstrate some R-words, like to rock back and forth. Finally, Grover asked the R to show off a big one: "Rrrrrrrrr-rocket!!". They then showed the R against a black background, at which point it did a rather convincing slow ignition, complete with realistic sound effects, as the letter launched itself upwards. The camera then cut to a wowed Grover. (I'm not sure if he coughed from the resultant cloud of smoke; I might be getting that mixed up with the fallout from the disappearing pineapple/Mumford trick.)

Then there were those animations where a man is counting down a rocket launch -- and something always goes awry, e.g., the spectators "blast off" instead of the rocket. Following at least one of those, a live-action Carol Burnett appeared and said something like "Oh well, back to the ol' drawing board."