Idea: Staging the Cube

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hey, I was watching The Cube this morning. And couldn't help the idea of staging The Cube. Do you think it could be done?

Things like the changing furniture etc would be difficult...could it be done with lighting? Double-hinged doors and things would be involved in all the walls.

It would be very interesting indeed.

Luke

Reaction score
Beau, i'd be up for helping with this. The magician Paul Zenon is apparently very good at building the kind of props needed, prob double hinged doors and false walls.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hey Luke, it's not something I'll really be able to get at doing for a while yet, due to work and uni and the like, but it's something I'd love to think about doing, or to figure out how it could be done to plan for future.

I was originally imagining it as a small play, but it's actually quite a production. But it lends itself so well to stage due to all taking place in one room.

The issues would be a few of the special effects, such as the projected version of himself...

Luke

Reaction score
Hey Beau. It's quite a good idea if you could get some kind of deal with an independant theatre company or something, maybe take it to Edinburgh in the future. It would take some organising though. I agree it lends itself very well to being done. The planning of how the effects and staging could be done is very interesting. You might have hit on something there.

Speaking of projection, there is some great new hologram technology around now. It looks much more "real life" than it used to.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I would love to see this in a stage version. This film has become one of my favorite films, as well as one of my favorite Henson projects. I think it's amazing. I'd love to see this in a theater setting......

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Hey, I was watching The Cube this morning. And couldn't help the idea of staging The Cube. Do you think it could be done?

Things like the changing furniture etc would be difficult...could it be done with lighting? Double-hinged doors and things would be involved in all the walls.

It would be very interesting indeed.
From what I remember of The Cube, I think it could be done. It's been a while since I've seen it. I'm going to have to get it from someone sometime. I want to see it again and give some thought on how it could be done...

Beauregard

Reaction score
It's on Google video -- a colour version no less! -- do a google search and you should be able to find it. There are some things, such as the projections and the guy who turns off the TV and dissapears who would be harder to do. But those bits could be adjusted/re-written. Such as, the guy who explains that the man in the Cube is on TV could be adjusted to his explaining that the guy is in a play, maybe.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Yeah, and by saying it's a play ... having stagehands arrange the furniture when his back is turned or something won't seem that odd, since the movie has people coming in and out all the time anyway.

Beauregard

Reaction score
That's true. Especially if the stagehands were obvious enough for you to notice them, but not so that he does. Since "The Cube" is, in theory, meant to represent life...it would make sense to have stagehands.

Kiki

Reaction score
I saw the Cube a couple of weeks back and I must admit I personally found it went to fer too long and downright depressing. -_- Just my opinion though, but I believe your idea is a great concept. :smile: