I Heart the 70s

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Black Babbath, formally known as Earth (I think) which was a blues band, invented the Heavy Metal genre with the debut of their second album, Paranoid. Even if you listen to the song, Black Sabbath, which was on their first album, Black Sabbath, is more bluesy than metal. I swear the intro sounds alot like the start of ghostbusters, only slower :stick_out_tongue:

From what I understand, the style of playing was more or less a result of guitarist's Tony Iommi's accent with a steel cutter (I think) and cut off the tip of his finger. Was was able to play by putting a special cap on his finger. The album Paranoid was meant to be called War Pigs, which is the first track, but I think they were afraid of people getting mad at them or something.

Alice Cooper got his start (actually, I think its technically the 60s he got his start). Although he is technically sonisdered Heavy Metal, his music itself is not metal, its more rock. But he started the whole "freak out" performances, meant to freak out the audience. I wont go into details of some of what he did, might not be appropriate, but what I will say is his shows were filled with violence and gore.

Alice Cooper eventually appeared on this strange little show that is apparently pretty popular, although I cant say I ever saw it, The Muppet Show :wink:

anythingmuppet

Reaction score
Just going out on a limb here, but is there like some kind of conspiracy going on around here that I don't know about? Because all youse crazies went and just randomly muffined this board with these....outlandish "I Love the (insert decade here)" threads....

Ah well, must just be me. *tosses muffin in the air* :wink:

The seventies, in my opinion, were a time of great music and not-as-good music: lots of rock bands from the time are remembered as hallmarks of the seventies and disco music is looked back upon as something of an abomination, lol.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
The seventies, in my opinion, were a time of great music and not-as-good music: lots of rock bands from the time are remembered as hallmarks of the seventies and disco music is looked back upon as something of an abomination, lol.
Yeah, in the late seventy's all the Disco sucks ad's were all over the place when punk dismantled it or something.:crazy:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I think the Ramones got their start in the 70s, didnt they?

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
The seventies, in my opinion, were a time of great music and not-as-good music
Ah yes! The wonderful era that gave us the Bay City Rollers, Captain & Tenille, Barry Manilow, Debbie Boone, Leif Garrett, Donny & Marie and Bobby Sherman, among others. The hallmarks of my CD collection!:shifty::shifty:

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
...not to mention good music from the likes of Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper, the Ramones, the Clash, the Talking Heads, David Bowie, The Who, Elton John (hey, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is one of my favorite albums!), Creedence and Crosby, Stills & Nash, among others...:wink:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is one of the few slow songs that I like :embarrassed:

They opened a Hard Rock Amusement Park in Myrtle Beach SC. Theres a Led Zeppelin ride there.