How well does the new movie have to do?

beaker

Reaction score
What would it take for the new movie to be considered a success? Will it take a big profit? Will simply breaking even be enough? There has been a lot of time and money put into advertising the movie and if doesn't do as well as hoped, do the muppets get shelved again? Just curious on everyone's thoughts.
Well it so far has the best reviews of any film next to Midnight In Paris(my personal favorite film of the year), its on track to come in second to Twilight(barf) this weekend, and judging by the audiences coming out of my local show....people from 2 to 80 are grinning ear to ear. I think Disney's marketing has paid off.

Remember, Tron Legacy did not get even close to the positive reviews this is getting.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Remember, Tron Legacy did not get even close to the positive reviews this is getting.
Yeah, but with Tron, you had a movie famous for not doing well and becoming cult because it never did well. Why they did a sequel to it decades later is beyond me... I don't know if it did well or not, I wasn't following it. I'm guessing it at least did better than the first one.

But the Muppets are pretty much classic staple characters. Other than the clumsy handling of MFS throughout, Muppet movies tended to do alright, but much better on home video. VMX had very high ratings. I remember people who swore they grew out of the Muppets talking about it back when it was aired. Totally torched a bad Brady Bunch telefilm that came on the same night. Hearing the reviews were stellar made me happy, and we pretty much have the best Post-Henson project out there with this one. Hopefully that buzz will rocket this film to a steady 2nd place, behind Twi-hype.

The one problem is that we have to wait until the end of February to see how well this film does world wide... but I'm sure they're just as excited as we are about it.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
Have the current box office sales been posted anywhere yet? Is that common/uncommon for box office results to be posted on opening day?
id say give it till Saturday...Monday latest...usually Monday is the day but with the Holiday weekend may be a bit longer

beaker

Reaction score
Yeah, but with Tron, you had a movie famous for not doing well and becoming cult because it never did well. Why they did a sequel to it decades later is beyond me... I don't know if it did well or not, I wasn't following it. I'm guessing it at least did better than the first one.

But the Muppets are pretty much classic staple characters. Other than the clumsy handling of MFS throughout, Muppet movies tended to do alright, but much better on home video. VMX had very high ratings. I remember people who swore they grew out of the Muppets talking about it back when it was aired. Totally torched a bad Brady Bunch telefilm that came on the same night. Hearing the reviews were stellar made me happy, and we pretty much have the best Post-Henson project out there with this one. Hopefully that buzz will rocket this film to a steady 2nd place, behind Twi-hype.

The one problem is that we have to wait until the end of February to see how well this film does world wide... but I'm sure they're just as excited as we are about it.
What did you think of Tron Legacy? I thought, save for some of the lack of urgency toward the end and some of the dialogue it was visionary. In fact not since Matrix Reloaded had I felt that excited and rewarded to see a sci fi film. Very rarely in cinema do I feel something rises to that level of out of time spacial awesomeness.

In retrospect, I dont know if I could watch VMX all the way through again. There's some parts that really work for me(like anything involving the theater) but a lot of stuff I feel is kind of cringe worthy. I watch the Muppet Movie and TMTM, and tho its "dated" nothing feels embarrassing or an anachronism that mistranslates and misfires today.

muppetperson

Reaction score
Dont forget that there are still admission sales from the rest of the World to go, plus then eternal fees from DVD/Blue ray.So Disney cant loose!

Drtooth

Reaction score
What did you think of Tron Legacy? I thought, save for some of the lack of urgency toward the end and some of the dialogue it was visionary. In fact not since Matrix Reloaded had I felt that excited and rewarded to see a sci fi film. Very rarely in cinema do I feel something rises to that level of out of time spacial awesomeness.
Didn't see it, didn't really bother, didn't quite care. I never saw the original either, so it would be kinda unfair to judge. I didn't even get to see Rapunzel, and only saw that tepid Yogi thing because I was too angry that day to see a good movie and hate it because I had a bad day... and I missed the showing of Rapunzel by 20 minutes and didn't want to have to wait until 5:00 so I could go home early. Shoulda waited until 5... but I got a swell Darth Vader monster bobblehead from a Blockbuster that was clearing them out, so it wasn't a total loss.

In retrospect, I dont know if I could watch VMX all the way through again. There's some parts that really work for me(like anything involving the theater) but a lot of stuff I feel is kind of cringe worthy. I watch the Muppet Movie and TMTM, and tho its "dated" nothing feels embarrassing or an anachronism that mistranslates and misfires today.
VMX has a spirit to it. The problem is, the humor is very late 90's early 00's.. pop culture laugh a minute type bits that seem dated and fall apart now. I still dig the Fear Factor joke, though I choose to take it as an insult and not an NBC promo (which half the movie turned into)... The Grinch thing I liked, but the Croc hunter bit makes me cringe every time... especially since he died. I like the Moulin Scrooge number, but that's about it. it does have a pretty good story to it when you take all the dated bits away...I've been riling against Muppet Oz for some time... that was a mind flark. Loud, ugly, it was like a nightmarish rainbow, and it was a commercial for American Idol. VMX did get a good response from people when it first came out, though... MOz didn't.

beaker

Reaction score
Didn't see it, didn't really bother, didn't quite care. I never saw the original either, so it would be kinda unfair to judge. I didn't even get to see Rapunzel, and only saw that tepid Yogi thing because I was too angry that day to see a good movie and hate it because I had a bad day... and I missed the showing of Rapunzel by 20 minutes and didn't want to have to wait until 5:00 so I could go home early. Shoulda waited until 5... but I got a swell Darth Vader monster bobblehead from a Blockbuster that was clearing them out, so it wasn't a total loss.

VMX has a spirit to it. The problem is, the humor is very late 90's early 00's.. pop culture laugh a minute type bits that seem dated and fall apart now. I still dig the Fear Factor joke, though I choose to take it as an insult and not an NBC promo (which half the movie turned into)... The Grinch thing I liked, but the Croc hunter bit makes me cringe every time... especially since he died. I like the Moulin Scrooge number, but that's about it. it does have a pretty good story to it when you take all the dated bits away...I've been riling against Muppet Oz for some time... that was a mind flark. Loud, ugly, it was like a nightmarish rainbow, and it was a commercial for American Idol. VMX did get a good response from people when it first came out, though... MOz didn't.
You didn't like Oz? Seriously? What issues did you have with it? *sits back...maniacal laugh...maniacal laugh* just kidding!

But seriously, you didnt see Tron Legacy? If you dont like mind blowing, visual-gasmic visionary films that make you feel like youre watching something very special...then dont see it. :smile: Its a thousand times better than James Camerons Avatar(or that other Avatar TLA) Still I gotta give you all the kudos in the world, no willpower in the world could allow me to sit through any cgi-live action hybrid kids movie. Not even G Force, and I love guinea pigs.

It's funny, as to me the new Muppet film has a lot of the same rapid fire modern cut humor that VMX did. I miss the more subtle humor of the first movies...with the new film I was more into the more real moments of subtext, or the humor played for realism(like the Reno bit)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I saw a website (I think Box Office Mojo) which listed the box office totals for all the movies including current results for The Muppets. It looks like it's currently 2 million dollars below what Muppets from Space made, let's hope within a week it at least makes more.

goldenstate5

Reaction score
Like I said in the other thread: don't panic!

Looking to where things are going now, "Muppets" should skyrocket with today's figures, and over the weekend accumulate around 45 to 50 million. Even adjusting for inflation, that will be the highest opening weekend gross for a Muppet movie... ever.

CinemaScore has Muppets having the highest score of the weekend at a solid "A" (which is the average of select surveys they take after screenings across the country), which means word of mouth should be excellent. Internet word of mouth is already booming, in other words, the film should have amazing legs. Hopefully it will turn that 50 million into 100+ within a few weeks time. If the movie reaches over 130 million, Disney will greenlight a sequel within a matter of days. And prospects? Looking good.