How to make a puppet pattern

Yahnke

Reaction score
Thanks for all of your posts, i check this thread a few times a day just to read up on any new advice...thanks. Maybe i should clearify a few things. I said i was looking to make a monster puppet similar to elmo and grover...

ok here is the deal... my niece loves elmo. I love making puppets...
the next time i will see my niece will be at christmas time. I am looking to blow her socks off with a real live visit from none other than......(copy right laws prevent me from revealing all of my devious yet completely obvious plot)

If i were just making a puppet of my own imagination, i wouldn't care about a pattern. I would make one by trial and error. But I am trying to be as exact as I can get here, i just don't want anyone to think that i plan on making a rip-off of the real thing and selling it. In fact, i am not even going to give it to me niece I am just going to perform with it and then probably change the features to my own creation.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Well, why not buy a plush Elmo or Grover and take it apart with a stitch ripper? You could probably get some ideas that way. You might even be able to find an old plush Elmo at a thrift shop cheap. There's also an awesome plush Cookie puppet out there too right now.

BorkBork

Reaction score
I started out a while ago, wanted to build my own puppets. I also enjoy making them more than performing. In fact, i suck at performing. Anyway, i started out knowing nothing, and i mean nothing about how puppets are built. I lurked around muppetcentral and other places on the net looking for info. Then i bought the foam book, finding out how to make puppets with the 3 piece method. But somehow it wasn't good enough for me. Then someone told me about putting profile head-parts together to form a 2 piece puppet head, and that was more in the line of what i was interested in. I cam across Dave Pannabeckers site www.armslength.com where you can order a puppet kit and video. So i ordered the video. I thought that i'll have a look at the video before i go and buy a kit, perhaps i could make a puppet like Daves without his kit just by watching. I never did build one like his, however i did study it closely to try and learn.

Daves technique involves the 2 piece method, but each piece is made up by several pieces, cut out so they are curved in just the right places so that the foam "knows" where and how to bend just right. I started to use almost the same method, but instead of several pices i use indeed just 2 pices, however i put curved darts in almost the same places as daves "darts" would go. I did send someone a sketch of how it works, i believe it was Phantom. Did the technique work fine for you?

I hope you know what i am talking about, otherwise purchase the video from Dave Pannabecker. At the moment i cannot post any pics, and my website is down, but as soon as i get the possibility i will make a new website with pictures and instructions on how to build a basic puppet the way i build them.

It's really not that long ago since i started, it takes not long to learn. And if you have a good imagination you will be starting to make your very own designs as soon as you know how it works.
From what i have experienced, round sphere like shapes are the hardest, but it's not really that hard after i got it explained to me from Buck. Thanks man!

By the way, just saw Kami, the HIV positive muppet on FOX News. Bill O'reilley wasn't all that positive about kami, but when is he?

Well, now i'm just rambling on...hehe.

Phantom

Reaction score
BorkBork said:
I did send someone a sketch of how it works, i believe it was Phantom. Did the technique work fine for you?
It worked great, Anders. I built number ten (Timmy) and have been meaning to e-mail you pictures, but Timmy has been living with one of my puppeteers while preparing for a Christmas performance. I'll send you some shots soon.

Yahnke, sorry to be of so little help. I understand about the pressure of the Yuletide approaching. I need to build three puppets before December 14. Good luck to you.
Ben

Yahnke

Reaction score
Yeah, i have been insterested in puppets for years. There was a church group that performed puppetry when i lived in WI, i took a pamplet from their group. For two years i held onto it. I never did anything with it. However, one day i decided i was going to finally make a puppet. I got a hold of the puppet director and talked to her for hours. She gave me resources galore. However, no patterns. She told me to buy one way streets people puppet pattern (say that three times fast!). Nothing against one way street, but their pattern isn't the greatest. The foam book blows their pattern away, and the foam book doesn't really have any patterns in it. I guess my main problem with OWS's pattern is that it is too complicated. It doesn't need to be as difficult as they make it. So i didn't build a puppet for another year, then finally i went to a puppetry conference in Huntsville, AL this year and i talked to a lady from IN...i think her name was cindy, anyway....she showed me how she makes her mouth plates and puppets. After seeing her puppets, i knew how to make my own...and i did. And i have been dying to make more ever since.

To make a long story even longer....i have known about the arm's length video, but it's just do expensive...however, i imagine at some point i will break down and buy it.
However, is Arm's lenth folding up? I read something like that recently?

thanks for all the advice!

Phantom

Reaction score
BorkBork said:
I did send someone a sketch of how it works, i believe it was Phantom. Did the technique work fine for you?
Check these out, Anders. Couldn't do it without your help.
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ee2m2/detail?.dir=/Puppets&.dnm=Timmy.jpg
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ee2m2/detail?.dir=/Puppets&.dnm=Timmy+Smiles.jpg
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ee2m2/detail?.dir=/Puppets&.dnm=Timmy+Thinks.jpg

Ben

These were better quality before I uploaded to Yahoo. Anybody got a better solution? Fozzie Bear, what's that place you use?

Ryan

Reaction score
He's adorable! I love him! Two thumbs up! :excited:

BorkBork

Reaction score
Wow, that's a great puppet! Say, is that antron fleece i spot?

Keep up the good work. When i get my new VDSL-connection i get a new emailadress, we can correspond some more if you want :smile:

Phantom

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words. I'm pleased with him.

Why, yes, that is Antron. Once you go Antron, you never go back. I do think I'm improving (hope so).

I look forward to it, Bork Bork.

Yahnke

Reaction score
Ok, i have heard alot about ALP's creating custom puppets video. I really want to watch it. I could sing you the sad story about finances and cash flow, but you all know it too well so i'll spare everyone...the point being the price is pretty steep and i want to ask if anyone has bought the video, watched it, and now no longer uses it. If you fit that category, i would like to buy/rent and return the video from you. The reason i want to watch the video is just to learn how to make patterns. If no one wants to part with the video maybe you could lend it to me to watch it, or maybe work out some other arrangements. email me or post a reply if you can help. thanks.