How to make a Muppet nose

muppet88

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm working on making my first muppet and I want to make a nose similar to elm's or telly monster's. Any recommendations for what to use as the basic shape of the nose? It looks to me like whatever is used for the shape is then covered with fleece. Any tips on how to cover the nose with fleece? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

muppetperson

Reaction score
I would say use a styrofoam ball,or carve an egg shape, and put fleece over it and pull it tight and gather it at the back and tie it up and then sew all the gather together.Then glue the nose on with the gather at the back.

Animal31

Reaction score
I agree with Muppetperson, the eggs come in different sizes and are great for starters...

muppet88

Reaction score
Great thanks! Do you ever cut away part of the foam egg on the back to make it flat and easier to attach to the puppet head? Whats the best way to attach the nose? I tried pinning it but couldn't get it to stay well.
Thanks!

Animal31

Reaction score
I actually did make it flat and then glue it to a doll joint that I attached into the head of the puppet.

muppet88

Reaction score
Thanks Animal31. I cut away some of the foam egg to make it flat on the back, and it worked well. I'd kinda want to keep my puppet as a whatnot so I can change it's facial features. Do you have any recommendations of how to pin the eyes and nose to the head without using a doll join? (As I understand doll joints require a permeant whole in the puppet's head). I've tried putting pins in from the inside of the puppet head, and that seems to work well for the nose, but having trouble figuring out how to attach the eyes in a similar manner. I'm using plastic 1/2 dome eyes.

Animal31

Reaction score
Depending on what type of material you're using, I've heard mention of velcro, or even thin magnets under the skin. Never tried it myself though.....