How to make a Grover puppet?

CoOKiE

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions for fur similar to Grover's? Same color and fur. I bought some white fur but it doesn't feel right in the back. It's not very flexible and doesn't seem to dye well. Heard http://www.mendels.com/ was a great place to shop, but I'm trying to skip the dying part ha ha.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Fur isn't going to dye very well, no matter what color you try to dye it - I speak from experience, I also once tried to dye a yard of white fur charcoal gray, and instead it came out silver . . . I'm going to assume your fur probably came out a paler shade of blue like periwinkle or cornflower? What fur are you using? Sounds like you're either using luxury shag, or perhaps something found in a store like Jo-Ann or something: those tend to be really heavy and stiff which limits your flexibility. Maybe if you could find some Mongolian fur somewhere, and maybe matte it down somehow (boiling it perhaps) may give you a Grover look (unless you want a shaggier Grover, then I'd say leave it alone) - but Mongolian is so hard to find.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
No. Do not use luxury shag. I've tried it because it's easy to obtain, but luxury shag is not a good fabric: as I said, it's very stiff and heavyweight, and will result in a heavy and cumbersome puppet with limited flexibility.

CoOKiE

Reaction score
Yeah, I bought some white fur years ago at Jo-anne's. I just went by today to grab some fleece and saw they had a faux fur like today's Grover. After reading your comment about the mongolian fur, I went back to Mendels.com and found some. However, their blue (copen) looks more like Cookie monster.

Clearly I'm trying to avoid the dying process ha ha. I'll have to look around.

EDIT

I found this. Here is the link for anyone else looking.

https://www.mendels.com/Shaggy-Mongolian.html

Cookie3001

Reaction score
My Grover was made from a blue towel with a styrofoam Easter egg covered in fleece for the nose, felt eyes and a fleece lip