How is Jerry Nelson doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matleo

Reaction score
If you want to be a puppeteer no matter what, you may be able to be a successful puppeteer. A puppeteer is someone who animates inanimate objects. How convincing you are in this would probably determine your success in this endeavor. If you depend on anything other than your drive and desire to achieve your goal, I wouldn't count on success.

A young person searching in life for a teacher, went to a master and knocked on the gate. When given an audience with the master he asked, "How long will it take me to become proficient in my craft?" The master replied, "five years."
The apprentice responded, "No, I mean if I really worked hard and studied night and day, how long would it take?"
"Oh", the master replied, "in that case, it would only take ten years."

Whatever you do in life, it should be something you are willing to dedicate your life to. If it takes ten or even twenty years, that shouldn't matter. What matters is, it is THE ONLY THING you want to do. It is the driving force of your life. You must love it, because if you don't, you are not doing the right thing. Don't dedicate your life to something you don't love as much as life itself.

Obviously, one has to make ends meet, so you do other things that enable you to continue on your path. Jobs that keep body and soul together and pay the bills. Even so, stay focussed on where it is you want to go and what it is you want to do. As someone very wise once said, "Keep your eyes upon the road and your hands upon the wheel."

ZNS, I wish you well,

JLN
awesome. I was just on my way out to my non-puppetry job and not really looking forward to it. This was the perfect item to read before I went out. Thank you Jerry. That's an excellent piece of advice.

--Matt

zns

Reaction score
If you want to be a puppeteer no matter what, you may be able to be a successful puppeteer. A puppeteer is someone who animates inanimate objects. How convincing you are in this would probably determine your success in this endeavor. If you depend on anything other than your drive and desire to achieve your goal, I wouldn't count on success.

A young person searching in life for a teacher, went to a master and knocked on the gate. When given an audience with the master he asked, "How long will it take me to become proficient in my craft?" The master replied, "five years."
The apprentice responded, "No, I mean if I really worked hard and studied night and day, how long would it take?"
"Oh", the master replied, "in that case, it would only take ten years."

Whatever you do in life, it should be something you are willing to dedicate your life to. If it takes ten or even twenty years, that shouldn't matter. What matters is, it is THE ONLY THING you want to do. It is the driving force of your life. You must love it, because if you don't, you are not doing the right thing. Don't dedicate your life to something you don't love as much as life itself.

Obviously, one has to make ends meet, so you do other things that enable you to continue on your path. Jobs that keep body and soul together and pay the bills. Even so, stay focussed on where it is you want to go and what it is you want to do. As someone very wise once said, "Keep your eyes upon the road and your hands upon the wheel."

ZNS, I wish you well,

JLN
Thank you Jerry. If there is one thing I have gotten from you, Jim, and everyone else involved with the Muppets is to enjoy life and follow one's own dreams. I will keep your advice in mind. God Bless.

Zach Snyder (ZNS)
Lancaster PA.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I just want to say a quick hello and a big thank you to Mr. Nelson. Your work has been entertaining, teaching, and uplifting me for my entire life!

I especially want to thank you for giving me a great voice and laugh to imitate while counting out handouts for my high school students. :batty:

All the best,
Andy Clinton

Beauregard

Reaction score
I agree with Beaker here, your little jems of wisdom here on MC are lovely to read and grow deeper upon reflection (You're not related to a Widomous Trash Heap by any chance are you? :wink::halo:) And I too would love to read a biography or a 'Things I Have Learned' book from you one day if you were to ever write one.

God bless,
Beauregard

Convincing John

Reaction score
So the actual Jerry Nelson has been posting in this thread? *gasp*
Yep, he sure has, and he's been nice enough to spend some time chatting with us fans and even answering a few questions. He's one of my all-time favorite artists! I was listening to this song the other day and as many times as I've heard it, I always laugh. (though I don't understand why they put red hair on the Frank Oz Muppet).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imPaiELL_C8

Oh, and Happy (belated) Birthday, Jerry. Hope you had a blast! :crazy:("Did somebody say blast?" BOOM!)

Also, if Jerry decides to write his memoirs, count me in (ah ah ah!):batty: to buy a copy! I adored Mr. Spinney's book and I can only dream of what Jon Stone's memoirs consist of. I'd love to read about all of Jerry's adventures, wisdom and Muppeteering experiences, too.

skogs34 said:
It is paramount in a world with such negative things going on to try to counteract that with positive energy. Like pebbles dropped into a pond, the actions you create in the world spread out in ever widening circles and the more people you touch with good energy , the more people they affect with the energy you started, until hopefully it is greater, or at least equal to, the negative.
I couldn't agree more. It's kind of like the Fraggle song "Pass It On".

I've always admired Jim Henson's optimism. Since Mr. Henson isn't with us anymore, I now think of what Jocelyn Stevenson said: "We're Jim's seeds. And it's not only those of us who knew him. Everyone who was touched by his work is a Jim-seed...people die, but inspiration lives and grows."

One time a co-worker of mine called in to say she would be a little late. It was a cold, snowy day and the roads were passable, but still slippery.

In the meantime, I got her a coffee and a snack from the cafe next door. They were waiting there on her desk when she arrived. She was thankful, but asked "Why did you do that?"

I shrugged and said "Well, you needed it. Also, I think Jim Henson would've done the same thing for you if he was here, but since he isn't, I thought I'd fill in."

"Pass it on! Pass it on!
Wish upon all the good things that you do.
Pass it on! Pass it on!
Pass it on! Pass it on!
When it's gone, it will bring good luck to you!

When you're giving love away,
Love will come again to stay.
What you give is what you gain when you--":coy:("uh-uh")--"pass it on!"

Thank you for so many positive influences, Jerry!

Your fan,
Joshua Hankemeier
(Convincing John)

zns

Reaction score
Hello Jerry,

Just thought that since it's been a while since we've all posted on this thread, I thought that I would bring this up. Good luck with the shooting of the remainder of sesaon 40 of Sesame Street. I saw the message you posted on the Jim Henson Legacy website, and it's obvious that you and everyone else involved with the show must be truly blessed. Of course, you yourself must also be blessed to have done other stuff with Jim and the rest of the company. I am sure if Jim was still alive today, he would most likely be very pleased with everything you guys are doing. You could say that he might just look around and say "Lovely". Take care for now.

Zach S. (zns)

skogs34

Reaction score
Been a while

It's been a while since I checked in to say hello.
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day and I have a lot to be thankful for.
I'll be thanking the proper Authority tomorrow before I partake of the traditional dinner of the day, but thought I might say thanks to all of you for all your nice words and thoughts over the years and tell you some of the things I've been up to. So first, thank you all.
It has been one heck of a ride. Ups and downs.. I've had them all in varying degrees and how would you know what was really and truly good if you hadn't had a taste of what was really and truly bad? So I guess it's all just part of traveling the road of life. As Dizzy Gillespie used to say " A little bit of this an' a little bit a that makes a whole lotta heap a ". There was more to it but that part says what I need to demonstrate my point, to wit; it's all input and it's there to teach you something. How much or what you learn, is up to you. Anyway, Thank You!

Now for what I have been up to... Last June, I went into Nola Sound Studio with some friends and recorded something I have looked forward to doing for a long time. Ten of my songs that were written over the years were put down to be made into a CD. Most are story songs and some more personal than others. It took all summer and autumn to mix and master all ten songs but now they are in the process of being made into my first album entitled, "Truro Daydreams". I'm not sure when or where they will be available but I will let you all know if you are interested. I'm not even sure they are good. I like them but why wouldn't I? They're mine.

That's my news and my wish is for everyone to follow James Taylor's admonition to, " Shower the people you love with love, show them the way that you feel" and have a full-filling Thanksgiving Day!
Jerry

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Glad to hear you're doing well, Jerry, and a very happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well. The album sounds cool - I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Congratulations on your CD, Jerry, and a VERY happy Thanksgiving to you!

:sing:

wembleyfraggle

Reaction score
Im excited to hear this CD! Love your voice Jerry! Actually, that brings me to a question. Not sure if this has been answered of ever asked. But Jerry, if its not to soon to give this info out, are you going to return as Gobo in the Fraggle film? :smirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.