How "Elmo Saves Christmas" Should Have Ended

wiley207

Reaction score
I've been thinking of and noticing how Christmas just isn't the same as it was when I was a kid. (No snow, fewer traditional decorations, a small non-traditional roast beef dinner, etc.) But at least it's not as bad as what happened in "Elmo Saves Christmas" when Elmo wished for Christmas every day! But suppose everyone on the Street was more realistic and decided to do something about Elmo's big mistake?

Elmo: (looks at backpack) A wish. Who has a wish?

Lightning: You do! The snowglobe, remember? You have one more wish!

Elmo: Ohh, yeah, the snowglobe! It’s in Elmo’s backpack! (starts digging out the snowglobe)

Lightning: Oh, get it quick, Elmo!

Elmo: (pulls out snowglobe) Ah! Elmo almost forgot! OKAY, EVERYBODY! HEY! ELMO HAS A WISH! HEY! HEY, EVERYBODY! COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, COME ON!

(A crowd gathers around Elmo and Lightning, including Maria and Luis, Big Bird, Ernie and Bert, Gordon, Bob and Gina, the carolers, Count von Count, the Toucan and a postal worker. Oscar and Grundgetta come out from behind the trash area.)

Elmo: Elmo has great news! Santa gave Elmo this magic snowglobe. Elmo used it to wish for Christmas every day!

Crowd: WHAT?! Elmo, that was you?! I can’t believe this! Why, you little brat! You ruined everything!

Elmo: No, no! But, but, but… but Elmo has one wish left! Elmo was going to wish for rollerblades, but, Elmo will now wish that Christmas was just like the way it used to be: one day a year!

Oscar: No! Go for the rollerblades!

Maria: QUIET, OSCAR! We’ve suffered long enough! (to Elmo) Elmo, wish for Christmas once a year, please!

Count: Yes, please! That’s two pleases!

Bob: (hoarse whisper) Pleeeease…

Count: Three pleases.

Big Bird: Please, Elmo? So I can see Snuffy again?

Count: Four pleases.

(The crowd begins pleading Elmo with “pleases” as the Count counts them.)

Elmo: Okay, okay, okay, okay! Here Elmo goes. (clears throat, to snowglobe) Elmo wishes that everything on Sesame Street was the way it used to be, when Christmas was only once a year! (starts shaking snowglobe) Wishwishwishwishwishwishwish…

(But Elmo shakes the snowglobe so hard it goes flying right out of his hands and smashes onto the sidewalk, disintegrating into dust in the process. The crowd dramatically gasps as some of the dust starts to blow away in the wind.)

Elmo: BLITZEN BLITZEN BLITZEN! Oh… that didn’t work! No… (close to tears) Oh, no, now Elmo wish won’t come true!

Luis: It’s Christmas… forever!

Big Bird: Oh, goodbye, Snuffy!

Maria: That tears it! GET HIM!

Luis: Get that little red monster!

(The crowd begins lunging towards Elmo!)

Elmo: But Elmo sorry!

Maria: You DESTROYED CHRISTMAS!

Gordon: Now we’ll destroy you!

(The crowd all begins to chase Elmo and Lightning. As the Toucan flies after them, Oscar and Grundgetta chuckle to themselves and go back into Oscar’s trash can.)

Luis: You caused our Fix-It Shop to go out of business!

Count: You made me lose my love of counting Christmas stuff! (hisses and bares his fangs)

Bob: (hoarse whisper) You made us lose our voices.

Grover: (joining the chase) You made Christmas trees extinct!

Bert: You caused Santa to retire!

Gordon: You turned Christmas into just another day!

Big Bird: You separated me from Snuffy! Haven’t you done enough damage to Sesame Street already?!

Elmo: Elmo said sorry! HEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLP!!!

Lightning: Elmo, hop on!

(Elmo jumps onto Lightning’s back and he starts flying.)

Bert: He’s getting away!

Count: No problem! We have one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen people chasing Elmo! Add me, and that makes nineteen! Nineteen angry people chasing Elmo on Sesame Street!

Elmo: (as he and Lightning fly further) Uh-oh.

Count: Ah, ah, ah, ah!

(Thunder and lightning start to go off, and then a big bolt of lightning knocks Lightning and Elmo back to earth!)

Elmo: Noooooo!

(They crash on the ground.)

Lightning: Ouch! NOW we crash.

(Elmo gets up and tries to run away, but it’s too late. The angry mob has caught up to him and Lightning.)

Bert: You rotten, bratty little red monster! You turned Sesame Street into a nightmare!

Luis: GET HIM!

(Big Bird and the Toucan begin pecking at Elmo!)

Elmo: Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow! Stop it! You’re Elmo’s friends!

Big Bird: Not anymore! You’ve eclipsed me!

Elmo: What’s eclipsed?!

(Ernie, Bert and some of the other humans begin punching and slapping at Elmo, who starts sobbing.)

Elmo: (crying) Lightning! HELP!

Lightning: I’m scared! I don’t know what I can do! That real lightning made me powerless!

(Then as the others continue beating up on Elmo, the Count advances towards him.)

Count: (bearing his fangs) Ah, ah, ah…

(Then the Count lunges at Elmo and bites his neck!)

Elmo: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

(As Elmo screams, there’s a blinding flash of light and Elmo’s now back in his living room, screaming on his chair. It’s Christmas morning.)

Elmo: AAAAAAAAAAH! (opens eyes and pants) Whew… it was just a bad dream. Elmo fell asleep and missed Santa. But, wait! It Christmas morning! Yaaaaaay!

Elmo’s Mother: (from other room) Elmo, is that you? Wait until your father and I are there before opening presents.

Elmo: Okay, mommy! Boy, Elmo now know why Christmas every day would be a bad idea. What a nightmare!

(We fade back to Maya Angelou’s apartment, where she is with Telly, Zoe, Baby Bear and the kids.)

Telly: You mean, it was all a DREAM?!

Baby Bear: What a cop-out!

Zoe: Yeah, I was hoping Elmo would’ve gotten it good!

Maya: Yes, but there’s still a lesson to be learned here. You cannot have Christmas every day.

Baby Bear: Oh, I’ll say…

Maya: Now… you know you can keep the spirit of Christmas alive all year long. (points to her chest) Here… in your heart. (she points to the other kids’ hearts)

Telly: Yeah… If you think about it, and feel it!

Zoe: Hmm… I think I feel it. (gasps) I think I feel it!

Baby Bear: Yeah, me too!

Maya: Ah, I feel it. You, too? (to kids) And you, too?

Zoe: Yeah!

Maya: (to Baby Bear) And you, too?

(The same “Keep Christmas With You” ending as the real special then plays out.)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, I doubt any SS special would've ended like that, but it's amusing that everyone on the street practically turned on Elmo, even to the point that Big Bird held a grudge against him for eclipsing him, lol.

GuySmileyfan

Reaction score
Wow! That's a bit dark for a Sesame Street Christmas special.