How do you Dremel?

Reaction score
Hi, everyone.

I just bought a dremel to carve/cut eyes and noses. I am very interested in being able to make my own shapes.

My first attempts are pitiful, mostly because I am a beginner. While cutting thin plastics, it's difficult to make a straight line. It's even more difficult to make a curve. I also keep getting frustrated and speeding up the machine, melting the plastic.

Do any of you use a Dremel to carve/cut plastic? I searched the forums and found a few references to carving foam. Or do you all just purchase pre-made plastic domes?

I could use some advice on the proper dremel accessories to use on plastic. I want to know if I have the correct bits already and just need lots of practice, or is there something else I should be working with. I went to the Dremel site, and wouldn't you know, not one thing about carving eyes out of plastic! :wink: :wink:

I have tried the 194 carving bit and cutting disks 403 and 426. Basically, I am using the accessories from a general set.

Thank you, everyone!

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
I use one for minor foam sculpting on my characters, i.e. noses, lips, ears and the like. I do shape eyes, I'll take the hard styrofoam balls and cut a basic shape, then shape and smooth them out by sanding by hand with a light grit. I don't know about how to go about what you want to do though, avoiding the melting will be hard.

practicecactus

Reaction score
Just a little tip you've probly already figured out, but I'll say it anyway..
whatever it is your carving , when it's in a vice or whatever, you have more control if you use your left hand as a control arm..(if your right handed) your holding the dremel in your right hand , have your left hand touching the vice or whatever , and rest your right palm,wrist etc against your left.Just something to stablize your hand .
..if that makes sense.
I use pencil grinders at work , so I'm not to sure how the trigger works on the dremel but hopefully this will still work with it too, but like I said, you probly already figured this stuff out.

Reaction score
Thanks, Practicecactus!

This is the first time I've drilled or "rotary'ed" anything. I'll take all the advice I can get.