• Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help.
  • 50 Years and Counting
    Read our review and discuss with fans the highly anticipated Sesame Street "50 Years and Counting" DVD set from Shout Factory featuring over five hours of beloved moments.
  • 50th Anniversary Celebration
    Read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on Sesame Street's 50th anniversary special. An official DVD is on the way.
  • "Muppets Now" announced for Disney+
    It's finally official. A new, unscripted short-form series, “Muppets Now”, is coming to Disney+ in 2020. Let us know your thoughts on the Muppets big announcement.
  • The Dark Crystal: "Age of Resistance"
    After a 36 year wait, return to the great conjunction. The Dark Crystal "Age of Resistance" is a mesmerizing and beautiful prequel series now on Netflix. Renew your essence today.
  • Music is Everywhere
    Muppet Central Radio is now on TorontoCast, TuneIn and Apple Music. Listen to Muppet music 24/7 wherever you go with TuneIn and Apple apps and devices.

How do you Dremel?

Reaction score
Hi, everyone.

I just bought a dremel to carve/cut eyes and noses. I am very interested in being able to make my own shapes.

My first attempts are pitiful, mostly because I am a beginner. While cutting thin plastics, it's difficult to make a straight line. It's even more difficult to make a curve. I also keep getting frustrated and speeding up the machine, melting the plastic.

Do any of you use a Dremel to carve/cut plastic? I searched the forums and found a few references to carving foam. Or do you all just purchase pre-made plastic domes?

I could use some advice on the proper dremel accessories to use on plastic. I want to know if I have the correct bits already and just need lots of practice, or is there something else I should be working with. I went to the Dremel site, and wouldn't you know, not one thing about carving eyes out of plastic! :wink: :wink:

I have tried the 194 carving bit and cutting disks 403 and 426. Basically, I am using the accessories from a general set.

Thank you, everyone!

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
I use one for minor foam sculpting on my characters, i.e. noses, lips, ears and the like. I do shape eyes, I'll take the hard styrofoam balls and cut a basic shape, then shape and smooth them out by sanding by hand with a light grit. I don't know about how to go about what you want to do though, avoiding the melting will be hard.

practicecactus

Reaction score
Just a little tip you've probly already figured out, but I'll say it anyway..
whatever it is your carving , when it's in a vice or whatever, you have more control if you use your left hand as a control arm..(if your right handed) your holding the dremel in your right hand , have your left hand touching the vice or whatever , and rest your right palm,wrist etc against your left.Just something to stablize your hand .
..if that makes sense.
I use pencil grinders at work , so I'm not to sure how the trigger works on the dremel but hopefully this will still work with it too, but like I said, you probly already figured this stuff out.

Reaction score
Thanks, Practicecactus!

This is the first time I've drilled or "rotary'ed" anything. I'll take all the advice I can get.