How do I get a job as a Muppeteer?

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Good Stuff

Good stuff, thanks for the information. About 6 years ago I was contacted by the Henson Co. in regard to their internship program. I have all the information at my parent’s house in NY, So sorry but my memmory is a little foggy. I had written another one of the many letters I sent to the Henson Co. and a very nice young lady called me back to see if I was interested in an Internship. Having a degree in Advertising Graphic Design she thought that was the kind of intern I wanted.

I wanted a puppetry internship but those slots were all filled up and I would have to wait until next year to reapply. There were other none performing slots open, but like a fool I did not want one of those. You have to be in school to qualify, and I only had one semester left before graduation so at the time waiting to reapply next year was out of the question.

I am guessing that this is different now; they may no longer be offering internships. The performing interns go really quickly so you have to get on the stick about having all your ducks in a row. It is also a good idea to have some money in the bank because if I recall correctly they did not provide housing or food for there interns and I cannot remember if they were paid spots or not. If i go home for the Holiday I will see if I can dig out My Muppets file and get the address for you all.

I have a question to all those who make/ build there own puppets.....No I am not looking for you all to spill your secrets out to all of us here. I just want to know what kind of Glue you use to glue the foam together...I was using rubber cement, but after painting my puppets the cement bond failed and the puppet fell apart. Is there a better type of glue or bond that will work better? :smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
The Good Doctor said:
I have a question to all those who make/ build there own puppets.....No I am not looking for you all to spill your secrets out to all of us here. I just want to know what kind of Glue you use to glue the foam together...I was using rubber cement, but after painting my puppets the cement bond failed and the puppet fell apart. Is there a better type of glue or bond that will work better? :smile:
Go here to discuss glue situations:
http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=12632

Beauregard

Reaction score
Fozzie, anyone, wondering what oppinions are here. Dave Goelz will probably auditioning off his characters one day in the near (we hope not too near) future (at least I assume so as the others have gone, Jerry, Frank, etc.)

How can we find out when, how, where this is happening and get to audition?

I would hate for Beau to be lost in the transition, or Gonzo's character, or, well, anything. It would be great if some fans could try out for the characters they love so much.

Bea:zany:{What color are their hand's now}regard

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
More than likely when the day comes, Henson/Disney will recast Dave's characters from within. It has worked very well with Frank's characters (Piggy, Fozzie, Grover, Bert), Carroll Spinney (Big Bird), and hopefully with Jerry's characters as well.

Recasting is so much more than just a voice or even puppeteering. Just like with the characters themselves, it's the relationships and interactivity between the performers and puppets that shine onscreen.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Yeah, well, it took them long enough to re-cast Janice, Scooter, Dr Tooth, etc from within. just wondering, what if they can't find anyone to do Gonzo from within? Or Beau? Or Bunsen?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
How can we find out when, how, where this is happening and get to audition?
Like Phil, I would seriously doubt that there would be any kind of open auditions. For one thing, some sort of open "cattle call" would mostly be a waste of time because there are not really that many people who are talented enough to work at the level of someone like Dave Golez who aren't already known to the Muppets. With the amazingly talented pool of talent they have access to it's highly unlikely they'd be unable to fill in a character from within.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
is it just me, or does it seem that nobody reads thru soem of these posts?

anyway, buck and phil are right, it is highly unlikely that they will do some sort of open cattle call in the near or distant future, and besides as i have stated before, in order to puppeteer in film or telelvision you need to be a union memeber, (AFTRA or SAG)

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Frank OZ

Gang,
I did not know that Frank's Characters were re-cast. The last Muppet thing I saw, was AVMMC which stunk. But Fozzy and Piggy still sounded like Frank, the rest of the voices were a pritty bad. Robin, Janice, and Scooter were probably the worst. Not to mention the puppetry was not as good, I mean not as smooth or fluid, or alive if you will, It was more like a puppet show, than the Muppet Show.

I also thought the Henson Co. had retired Scooter out of respect because his performer had died from AIDS.

I have to agree, the muppets will work with the tallent they have. When and if they are unable to find soem one with in then they will look outside there core family. Which is why I stress being tru tot he craft, and working to be the best puppeteer you can be.

rumtar_10165

Reaction score
Answers to some questions

The Good Doctor said:
Good stuff, thanks for the information. About 6 years ago I was contacted by the Henson Co. in regard to their internship program. I have all the information at my parent’s house in NY, So sorry but my memmory is a little foggy. I had written another one of the many letters I sent to the Henson Co. and a very nice young lady called me back to see if I was interested in an Internship. Having a degree in Advertising Graphic Design she thought that was the kind of intern I wanted.

I wanted a puppetry internship but those slots were all filled up and I would have to wait until next year to reapply. There were other none performing slots open, but like a fool I did not want one of those. You have to be in school to qualify, and I only had one semester left before graduation so at the time waiting to reapply next year was out of the question.

I am guessing that this is different now; they may no longer be offering internships. The performing interns go really quickly so you have to get on the stick about having all your ducks in a row. It is also a good idea to have some money in the bank because if I recall correctly they did not provide housing or food for there interns and I cannot remember if they were paid spots or not. If i go home for the Holiday I will see if I can dig out My Muppets file and get the address for you all.

yep. And I will share mine. (looks both ways.>.> <.<.) I use foam glue.
This type you can get from the hobby stores or (if you have one.) Wal Mart.
I designed my puppets and use the glue and it works. But I die my foam first befor I glue. that way there is no lines where the foam is stucked together.

rumtar_10165

Reaction score
How did I contact the muppets?

ravagefrackle said:
not exactly an answer to the topics quetion. but some good info to the people here who may not understand the basics of muppet puppeteering, ,

it might be more helpful to describe how you were asked to come and audition.

thats what this forum topic is all about, im sure that many peopel here would like to here about it,
what wewre the steps you went thru?and how long before you sent in your audition did you spend prepearing your tape?,

granted the processes is most likely different today , but it might help clear up some misconceptions that many of the younger people here have.
your right. So here is how it came about.
I am a major fan like everyone of the muppets. Right before my highschool graduation. It hit me where am I going to go from here. I read somewhere how Steve Whitmare joined the muppets. And since I wanted to work with Jim I found the address that would change my life forever. It was to Henson Associates. I wrote them a first letter.
I wrote ' Dear sirs, I would like to work with you I have expriance in puppetry.' I added my pics of my old puppets at the time. and two tapes an audio tape and a video tape.
Their responce was quote 'Your voices sound a little weak except one, the dog's voice'
They was willing to interview at the time but like I said there was problems, Money was one of them but the other, (after reading the old letter I still have framed. and proudly show everyone." they were not looking at the time.
To some it may sound not to thrilling but they did like my work and my voice of the dog. My friends are, as of late, wanting me to try again since I had gotten much better and more a pro at it.

I do not know if I must contact Disney or Henson for a try at the muppets, So can anyone answer that question?

I hope this helped out with your question. if not let me know.