How do I get a job as a Muppeteer?

Terrence Burke

Reaction score
I agree with the folks who suggest to start your own puppet troupe. I finally got my act together in 2010 and started to perform in public. Last year I perform my original puppet show all over Cincinnati with puppets I created, singing songs I wrote, in a stage that I built. No, it's not working for Henson/Disney.... it's better! It's MY imagination making children laugh and sing! There is nothing that can compare.
Sure, I still have a day job to feed my family, health insurance, pay the mortgage, etc. But my puppets are getting me on television, radio, and paying my way to the 2013 National Puppetry Festival this summer!
I am sure there are new puppeteers who have brilliant characters, jokes, songs, skits to tell. Let's see 'em! YOU are the next superstar puppeteer!
Puppets ROCK! :smile:

misspiggy5260

Reaction score
Ok This is a little off topic but I have a teacher who needs to stop teaching and go work for the henson company because he has so many puppets in that dang classroom of his ITS JUST PLAIN WEIRD
:smile:

misspiggy5260

Reaction score
I agree with the folks who suggest to start your own puppet troupe. I finally got my act together in 2010 and started to perform in public. Last year I perform my original puppet show all over Cincinnati with puppets I created, singing songs I wrote, in a stage that I built. No, it's not working for Henson/Disney.... it's better! It's MY imagination making children laugh and sing! There is nothing that can compare.
Sure, I still have a day job to feed my family, health insurance, pay the mortgage, etc. But my puppets are getting me on television, radio, and paying my way to the 2013 National Puppetry Festival this summer!
I am sure there are new puppeteers who have brilliant characters, jokes, songs, skits to tell. Let's see 'em! YOU are the next superstar puppeteer!
Puppets ROCK! :smile:
I wish I could come see it because I live just like 40 minutes from Cincinnati
:smile:

misspiggy5260

Reaction score
i know he probably gets this alot, but do you think that i could contact kevin clash? i know that he got started doing puppetry at an early age, and got his big break when he was discovered doing a puppet show at the age of 12! would he possibly be a good contatct?

sorry about my HORRIFIC spelling!
You only spelt contact wrong! You did good!

Rugby

Reaction score
I used to have this dream, but realized I'd have a better chance at becoming a professional baseball player. The current gang of muppeteers will have those jobs locked up for many years to come. A very very exclusive group.

edit: I realized I just posted to a thread that I posted in almost 10 years ago. Wow, how time flies!!!

fozzieisfunny

Reaction score
Can someone notify me whenever the Muppeteers have their next audition for puppeteers? I'd like to know. Thanks, in advance.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
I have always considered The Jim Henson Company and Sesame Workshop to be the big leagues of puppetry! Heck, I'm willing to do what it takes to be apart of that! Most of the inspiration for my puppetry and My own characters came from the Works of Jim Henson! The Puppeteers who inspire me today include Stephanie D'Abruzzo, Steve Whitmire, and John Tartarglia!

fozzieisfunny

Reaction score
While I have not built any puppets, I still practice puppeteering at home either with my hand or one of my FAO Schwarz Muppet puppets. After about 2 or 3 years worth of practice, I consider myself to be better than I was before. In fact, I think I might even be able to have a shot right-handing in a Muppet production!

CBPuppets

Reaction score
While I have not built any puppets, I still practice puppeteering at home either with my hand or one of my FAO Schwarz Muppet puppets. After about 2 or 3 years worth of practice, I consider myself to be better than I was before. In fact, I think I might even be able to have a shot right-handing in a Muppet production!
I can understand that! Every single day I would practice, whether it's lip-syncing every word or improving it's movement I always feel that I'm improving each time!