How do I get a job as a Muppeteer?

Thom

Reaction score
Well said, Marky! As a part time puppeteer myself, I'm in total agreement with you. I also think that there's alot to be said for being at the right place at the right time. Seek the opportunities! You'd be surprised what a little determination, open ears and open eyes can bring you.

Thom
Puppeteer
"Muppets From Space" and Cartoon Network

Marky

Reaction score
travellingpat said:
Youve gotta be real good or know somebody! lol
I wonder if they'll hold auditions again?

Marky

Reaction score
I hope so. I also hope that darn you-know-what campaign doesn't come back. If anything, that was counter-productive.

tinweirdo

Reaction score
Hey Tell me what you think about this? Last month Disney was here in pittsburgh for auditions looking for look alike characters and puppeteers. I went of course and auditioned for the puppeteering job they said they liked me. But they wanted me to be a walk around Disney character (Tigger). At first I past but then I called one of the casting directors Chris Lipkin about the jobs. After we talked for about week he said the puppeteering job was still open and so was the Tigger job. But I would have to relocate on my own and find my own place and I don't have car also the jobs didn't pay that well. The puppeteering job paid 75 cents and hour and my main job would be doing Tigger, so I past but I'm still hoping to go down to florida next year, they said they would keep my application.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
From what I have been told Disney uses costume performers and puppeteers interchangeably in Florida, but in California they are treated as two different jobs. They don't pay very well, but the experience is incredibly valuable. A lot of professional puppeteers start their career "paying dues" in a job like this. You also get the chance to meet other professional puppeteers and network which can be very valuable.

tinweirdo

Reaction score
Yeah, but like I said my main job would have been doing Tigger, and no way I'd be able live down there for that amount of money.