How do I attach a wig...

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
...to a puppet's head? I'm making a "Granny" puppet (except her name is going to be more original than "Granny") and I bought a gray wig which I put in a bun. Now I'm not exactly sure how to fasten it to her head. Should I use some sort of pins? Screws and wing nuts? Can anybody please HELP?

--"Scary" Larry Wolf

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Hi Scary Larry,

When we're putting wigs on puppet heads the method varies depending on how permanent the wig is, how much time we have and just how lazy we feel on that particular day. :smile:

If it's permanent we usually either sew the wig on (make sure you pin it in place first) or hot glue it in place. I don't suggest hot glue unless you are very, very handy with a glue gun. Getting hot glue out of hair is NOT fun (unless you are also an experienced hairdresser). Hot glue can also melt under hot TV and film lights, though it's never happened on any set I've been on.

For a temporary wig job we usually "tack" it in place with some stitches or even just use safety pins. I have heard stories that sometimes "anything" puppets on shows like Sesame Street and Crank Yankers have their wigs held on using carefully placed straight pins and T pins too.

Hope this helps!

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
I usually do a combination of glueing and sewing. I prefer the sewing method because it tends to be neater (no glue mess) and holds well. Often, I will use fabric glue (no hot glue gun, so less danger of burns and easier to apply exactly where you want it) down the middle of the wig or the head-- along what would be the center part. This holds the wig in place while I sew and adds a little extra durability. Once it is glued, I will stick pins around the outside to make sure everything stays in place. Then I sew the wig on (with thread that matches the hair, of course). With wigs, you can usually hide the stitches easily so you don't have to be real neat and even with the stitches. I stitch around the outside edges-- with denser stitching in areas likely to take more strain.

Good luck-- post a picture when you have it done!

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Gee, thanks a lot you guys! I've decided to sew it on. I'll post a picture as soon as I get some glasses for her. It's slightly frustrating though that after all this effort I can't find the same color fabric again! GRR... I'll cover it up with clothes. Thank You again!

--"Scary" Larry Wolf

Beauregard

Reaction score
I was given a bald puppet once, and I attached a Santa's white beard on it's head with some pins, got it a nitted jummper and called it Super Gran.

It hasn't fallen off while I'm performing, but it somtimes goes wonk when I try to put it on again when it does fall off.

Got to go,
Beauregard

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Well, her head is done now. I've named her L.O.LA. [Little Old LAdy], but if you want you may call her Gram. Thanks for all, your help!

--"Scary" Larry Wolf