How Disney Can Reinvigorate the Muppets

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Just an observation that was pointed out by Jim Hill... granted he's full of stuffing but he was onto something with this: for the first 5 years, the Henson Company had a commitment deal with Disney to approve every Muppet production and consult on them. Once that ends, the gears really get going on the movie. Just saying.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Just an observation that was pointed out by Jim Hill... granted he's full of stuffing but he was onto something with this: for the first 5 years, the Henson Company had a commitment deal with Disney to approve every Muppet production and consult on them. Once that ends, the gears really get going on the movie. Just saying.
That explains the "Muppets Holding Company" stamp they used for so many years.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just hope after this next film there is a show and a great place to put it so it can thrive. The problem, and I've been saying this for years, is that there's no way it would fit on a primetime slot on a major TV network. The Jim Henson Hour and Muppets Tonight both failed to get an audience, and networks were all but too happy to get rid of them. And in this market, I just don't see a Muppet program happening. A series of specials, maybe, but not a solid program. Unless of course, and we'd all have to accept it being there, they were to give it a chance on The Disney Channel. I really wish we still had original programs in syndication. That would be an even better place.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Surely there is a place for it? Its somewhere between Glee (Season 1) and Happy Endings.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
It's too bad Disney doesn't own holdings in a more "adult" cable network that does original programming, like AMC or FX or TNT. I could see a new Muppet Show working on those channels because it would have the opportunity to try and develop an all-ages audience. I fear that a new Muppet program on the Disney Channel would almost be forced into being youth-oriented, and I don't think that the Muppets really fit into what ABC Family is doing on original programming.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
It's too bad Disney doesn't own holdings in a more "adult" cable network that does original programming, like AMC or FX or TNT. I could see a new Muppet Show working on those channels because it would have the opportunity to try and develop an all-ages audience. I fear that a new Muppet program on the Disney Channel would almost be forced into being youth-oriented, and I don't think that the Muppets really fit into what ABC Family is doing on original programming.
Yeah, considering Disney's non-Muppet puppetry input consists of well, this...

:eek:
I'd be all for a new Muppet show but it really would never work. It would be compared to the original show constantly and probably not do that well, sad I know but it's being realistic.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's the paradox. It wouldn't cut it on a regular network in prime time, but Disney would force it to be tween oriented on their own network, which is the best place to put it. Remember The Muppet Show- syndicated-5 year run that ended on Jim's wishes. JHH-NBC Primetime-9 of 12 aired. Muppets Tonight-ABC Fridays until they wanted Boy Meets World back on its slot because it got better ratings then dumped it opposite 60 minutes-canceled a second season that was dumped on Disney Channel. And for the record, New Muppet Show-Fox Network-Never made it past the pilot stage. So any chance of a New Muppet Show would have that fate.

There is something to another cable channel... but if it gets too adult, it kinda slices out half the audience. As much as we'd hate to admit it, The Muppets have a strong family entertainment niche carved out for them. We'd all love to see a nice TV-14 show with the Muppets in it, but that's highly unlikely.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
There is something to another cable channel... but if it gets too adult, it kinda slices out half the audience. As much as we'd hate to admit it, The Muppets have a strong family entertainment niche carved out for them. We'd all love to see a nice TV-14 show with the Muppets in it, but that's highly unlikely.
It doesn't have to be TV-14, just the similar blend of humor that was featured in the original TMS. That show was generally TV G to TV PG using today's scale. It would be very hard to find a landing spot for a show like that on today's television landscape, which is why I think that a special or two would be good ways to sort of test the waters to figure out if there is an audience or not.