How did you become a fan of the Muppets?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Man, I've been a fan for so long it's hard to really determine how I became such a fan. My family did buy me some Muppet toys and merchandise as a very young kid, probably a baby. And I saw Muppet Babies during most of it's original run. Though I was still a fan when I started school, it seems like my fandom waned a bit until the thrid grade. My grandparents got me all of the Muppet Stories books in the second grade, and I watched A Muppet Family Christmas a lot during the summer, and then on my first day of the third grade we did some project where we looked through magazines. One had a group picture of the Muppets (the one found on the last page of the Muppet Hits booklet, the back of the 25th anniversary CD, the paper thingy found inside The Best of the Muppet Show DVDs, and so on), and I became obsessed witht eh fact that the Muppets looked different than they did in MFC, so I decided to watch more Muppet stuff. I'd watch my copies of TMM and GMC after not seeing them in a long time, and since I hardly had any other Muppet videos I rented whatever I could at my local video store, which had four o the Playhouse video compilations. And this was at a time when Nickelodeon started airing Muppet specials frequently as well as the time of Jim Henson Video and Jim Henson Records. A very good time indeed.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Being born in 1971, Sesame Street was a huge part of my life - my parents told me that as a baby i was just transfixed by them and i would giggle uncontrollably when they were on - it was literally a "from the beginning" love.

If you've read my blog, you'll know that i'm very much in favor of the term "Muppet freak" to describe fans...(1) Valerie Harper uses this term to describe her fandom in her TMS appearance (with an appropriate response from George) (2) "Freaks" just seems so appropriate given the Muppets' nature and (3) Given all the news about Jason Segel's involvement in their big relaunch, it takes on another level of meaning since Segel got his big boost from "Freaks and Geeks"

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I used to have two Muppet videos, "Meet The Muppets" and "More Muppets Please" and a video of four Sesame Street episodes that my parents recorded for me when I was little, but I don't have it anymore. I think those things started my interest in the Muppets and Jim Henson. The more I watched them, the more I enjoyed them and the more I learned about Jim and his team over time. Now I know what an impact he's made on television and in the hearts of many that watched the Muppets growing up. I guess that's why I love them so much, they'll never be gone from my life.

Nick22

Reaction score
when i was little, i LOVED sesame street. it was one of the only things i watched (along with pooh and disney movies). and then once i got older, i stopped watching sesame street. i always knew about the muppets, but never rully payed attention to them. and then i was watching disney channel and the muppets' wizard of oz came on, and i loved it., so i got online and started looking up stuff about them and started leraning about the beginnings and stuff. then a couple weeks later, i did a report on jim henson for school, and my obsession just increased more and more from there.

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
then a couple weeks later, i did a report on jim henson for school, and my obsession just increased more and more from there.
We haven't been given the opportunity to write a report on a historical person of our choice yet, but if the teachers ever give us a chance to do such a project, I'm already working on my Richard Hunt report. :wink::flirt::eek:

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
Lets see.....
I remember being exposed to the Muppets from SST (or SS whichever were using at the moment) ever since I was born, or close to it. I still remember the opening from that time, it was the one where Elmo was wearing the yellow baseball cap, and Cookie Monster was in a submarine. Then I also had Its the Muppets, and More Muppets Please, along with at least two SST VHSs (Silly Songs, and the 25th Anniversary one). I remember going to a thrift store and getting The Muppet Movie (it was a toss up between that and the Super Mario Bros. Movie. I think I made a good choice. :wink:) I remember that it was the 1993 clamshell cased version, because it had a preview of Fraggle Rock, which I really wanted to see. It took about two more years from that point (maybe 2000?) to see Fraggle Rock. I got a VHS from either Hollywood Video, or Blockbuster. I do remeber it was in the wrong case. Insted of volume one with Beginngings, and Friend in Need, it was volume three with The Great Radish Famine, and The Minstrels. I also, when I was little, liked to roam around on MC, and its fourms, which helped tremendously. Long story short, this lead to that, that lead to this, and here I am.

JEANYLASER

Reaction score
I love the muppet sence I was a little girl when I saw Sesame Street and I when I grow older I love them all!

Scooterthegofer

Reaction score
I remember seeing "The Great Muppet Caper" a long time (it seems) ago, but my fandom began when my art teacher introduced me to the audio version of "Mahna Mahna." Now I know all the lyrics to this slightly-different-from-the-Muppet-show version. (For fear of boring the reader, I won't tell.) I didn't know who was singing it, but it was fun imagining it. It all went up from there. I discovered Muppet Wiki by accident and now know more than I need to know. And now I have discovered Muppet Central, perhaps the nicest site and the nicest forum i've ever been on. And one more thing: when I first saw Scooter, I thought he was a Ron Weasley parody Muppet, especially because he was telling "15 seconds to curtain" to Angus Macgonagle (whose last name is pronounced the same way as that of a Hogwarts professor.):wink:

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
when I first saw Scooter, I thought he was a Ron Weasley parody Muppet, especially because he was telling "15 seconds to curtain" to Angus Macgonagle (whose last name is pronounced the same way as that of a Hogwarts professor.):wink:
Harry Potter totally ROCKS!