How did you become a fan of the Muppets?

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
I was just wondering.

This is how I got so obsessed:smile::

I was a fan when I was younger until seeing MV3D (because I was so young, Waldo scared me. Now, however, he's not quite my favorite, but I still think he's cool) Then, a year or so ago, a museum had a Jim Henson exhibit that my mom went to with me, and they had a section on Dark Crystal and Labyrinth that interested me, so I saw those two movies, and basically the obsession was (re)started by that.

Count von Count

Reaction score
You Know I don't really know how that happened.
The Muppets Have Allways Been There.
I think- I just Grown Up With Them And Never Grew Out.

If you understand what I'm trying to say.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Being born in 1991, I was born in the midst of the home video boom and right at the start of the Jim Henson Video era which meant I had about 74% of the titles that were released by Henson in that era. Naturally, the first TV show I remember watching is Sesame Street and it was my favorite show all through my childhood. I have faint memories of watching The Muppet Show on Nickelodeon but I never really got to see it until Odyssey started showing Henson stuff. I must have taped re-runs nearly every day. As I got into first and second grade, Pokemon and VeggieTales came into my life and the Muppets went on the back-burner for a while (especially before I saw much TMS). Around Christmas 1998, my grandpa got me Sesame Street Unpaved which started an interest in puppetry but seeing Muppets from Space and The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland in theaters in 1999 really sealed the deal and brough about this now-10 year obsession.

anytimepally

Reaction score
My dad made us watch every single episode of Fraggle Rock during its run. He still loves it.

ohtherain

Reaction score
My Muppet fandom experience is much shorter than the rest. I had basic knowledge of the Muppets from my birth in 1995 through 2008 (I could name Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Animal) but in 2008 my interest started to grow because I saw those terrible Disney Channel inserts inappropriately named "Studio DC: Almost Live". I hated the acting of most of the real actors but was amused by the Muppets. By the end of the year I started visiting their Disney page and watching their videos on YouTube. I could name Rizzo, Sweetums, the Chef, Sam the Eagle, Statler and Waldorf, Dr. Bunsen and Beaker, and even Rowlf. What really got it started was the receiving of The Muppet Show Season One box set for Christmas. I was sick for the next week or so with a bad allergy so I watched nearly every episode. 6 DVDs, 3 CDs, one photo puppet, one plush, and 27 action figures later, I am happy to love the Muppets.

HootsytheOwl

Reaction score
My experience with the muppets

Hello everybodeee!:super:

I have always watched the Muppets...from age 3 ( is how far back I can remember) I saw Sesame Street, and then watched that and the Muppet Show. When Fraggle Rock came out of HBO, my brother and I never missed an episode! :wink: I also enjoyed the Muppet Movies and Follow That Bird when they came out. Now my Muppet viewing/Sesame Street stuff collection keeps that wonderful time of my life alive. Too good to pass it by.

Your dear friend,
Kitt

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I remember watching and enjoying the Muppet Show more than Sesame Street. In 1979 at the age of 5 I remember watching the Muppet Movie in the theater. I remember the drive there, the drive home, the conversations I had with my folks and fearing in the middle of the movie when the Swedish Chef breaks the projector that it was really broken and we'd miss the rest of the show. After that there was Caper, Dark Crystal, Fraggle Rock, Manhattan, Labyrinth and other goodness, but I will always be a Muppet Show/Muppet Movie fan first. I like classic goodness of it and enjoy seeing the Muppet *puppets* continue the tradition.

GonzoLover85

Reaction score
I grew up on the street, Sesame Street that is. Bert, Ernie, Grover and the gang taught me how to count, my letters and many small words; to the point in fact I was able to skip kindergarten and go straight to grade 1.

Also, as a child, my mom would let me either watch an hour of tv a day, or one movie. I usually chose 1 movie; which usually ended up being the Muppet Movie. I went through 4 VHS copies of it (the tape always ended up wearing out).

From there on, the Muppets were always apart of my life. But I would say my true, hardcore fandom came about when Palisades started producing their figures. After collecting those, several albums, all of the films, the photo-puppets, and building a muppet themed jukebox, I'd say I'm a bonafied Muppet-fan.

** On a side note. Star Trek fans are called Trekkers/Trekkies... is there a special name for muppet fans?