How are Rat Puppets performed?

SkeetScootSquat

Reaction score
Ive been wondering about this for a LONG LONG LONG time now and I still haven't found out. I'm gonna try to make Rizzo or Bubba or a random rat but I don't know how to work them!Please help me!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
They're rod puppets. From what I understand the originals were extremely basic, just basically rats on sticks that could be wiggled around. Over the years they were rebuilt with more and more sophisticated mechanisms.

This is a good example of a rod puppet mechanism:

The design is different, but the basic principles and mechanics are the same.

A really good book to read about this subject is "Hand and Rod Puppets" by Hansjurgen Fettig. It is out of print, but you can sometimes find copies at the library through inter-library loan.

You can find some designs for rod puppets on my Puppet Building Resources Pinterest Page too.

SkeetScootSquat

Reaction score
tha
They're rod puppets. From what I understand the originals were extremely basic, just basically rats on sticks that could be wiggled around. Over the years they were rebuilt with more and more sophisticated mechanisms.

This is a good example of a rod puppet mechanism:

The design is different, but the basic principles and mechanics are the same.

A really good book to read about this subject is "Hand and Rod Puppets" by Hansjurgen Fettig. It is out of print, but you can sometimes find copies at the library through inter-library loan.

You can find some designs for rod puppets on my Puppet Building Resources Pinterest Page too.
thanks a lot. :smile: