Herbert Birdsfoot

ISNorden

Reaction score
Recently thought of this.

Wonder if HB was supposed to resemble a teacher considering how he was dressed?

Most muppets who hand proper names weren't generally dressed in suits and ties and the only another one I can think of was Professor Hastings.
The fact that Herbert only appeared in "lecture" Muppet sketches (and had other characters demonstrate his visual aids most of the time) also makes me think of him as a teacher. Good point!

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I saw the M vs. W sketch over the last few weeks, and if you listen closely, at the end of the sketch, after Herbert said "Oh, well...", you could hear the uncooperative letter snickering. it implies the letter was annoyed by Herb's commands, and Herb made the executive decision to have some "off-camera guys" rotate the camera angle to prove Herb's point. When the letter was snickering, it implies that the letter had the upper hand as the segment closed out.

Last edited:

LegalizeAMs

Reaction score
Jerry Nelson once wrote in a post years ago (sorry, it's not accessable anymore) that he himself liked the character, whose voice he based on Jiminy Cricket. However, Jim Henson and Frank Oz didn't care for the Herbert as much as Jerry did, and felt the character just wasn't working. As a result, well, there you go.

That's just one of those things that can happen in TV.
Yeah,I was right about that:

Classic Sesame Street: Cookie Puzzle (German)
Classic Sesame Street: Grover and Herbert Birdsfoot’s Hopping Poem with OP Words
Classic Sesame Street: M and W with Herbert Birdsfoot (take 1)
Classic Sesame Street: Grover, Herbert Birdsfoot and the AN Family (3-part skit, 29fps)
Classic Sesame Street: Ernie Visits Herbert Birdsfoot’s House
Classic Sesame Street: Grover and Herbert Birdsfoot Say the Alphabet (Mexican Spanish)
Classic Sesame Street: Counting to 20 with Grover and Herbert Birdsfoot.
Classic Sesame Street: Counting Three Blocks
Classic Sesame Street: Over and Under with Herbert Birdsfoot (HQ)
Classic Sesame Street: Grover’s Shadow (1970 version)
Classic Sesame Street: Herbert Birdsfoot’s M Sound Story