Henson sells Muppets to Disney

What do you think of Disney buying the Muppets and Bear?

• It's great! Disney can keep the Muppets alive and visible.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • It's awful! The Muppets will go downhill and quality will suffer.

Votes: 87 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

johnnyrocket

Reaction score
so sad

whats left for big businesses to destroy...muppets, 2d animation, bugs bunny....scooby doo, where are all the orginal ideas and why must these people go back and destroy the classics....why.... :zany:

RockSTAR girl

Reaction score
ok this is getting really stupid. Disney is great company. They're just going through some tough times right now, I am one of the first people to stand up and say Eisner needs to go, but he is a great buisness man who knows how to distribute the muppets to the masses. He brought about the resurgance of the Disney name in the 80s and i personally believe he can do it again (if he actually put his mind to it). But what would you all rather have? would you rather that EMTV still owned the muppets and did nothing with them? would you rather that The Hensons kept it and did nothing with it? what the muppets need is to be seen, they need to be used and shared by the whole world. I cannot think of a single company better equipped for the task than Disney and I stand 100% behind the latest decision.

dbarrie

Reaction score
This has to be the saddest, most depressing thread I've ever read here! :embarrassed:

I agree that the timing of this deal is off, considering the creative and financial rut that Disney is in right now under Michael Eisner's rocky leadership. But I see potential that this deal will help turn things around and bring about positive things for both companies. Maybe this deal will help ease the inner turmoil at Disney and reverse the misguided trend of releasing unnecessary and pointless sequels like Peter Pan 20 and Lion King 1.2.5.0 (or whatever they're called). And the articles I've read about Eisner in the last couple of days suggest that he is beginning to feel the heat and may also realize that his tenure as the Disney CEO/dictator have run its course.

I agree with what SarahHIYE wrote about how the Disney & Muppet union could show today's generation what real, first-class family entertainment is all about. But many of you guys here seem too eager to write JHC and Disney off in an epitaph before they've had a chance to show off what they can do together. Don't get me wrong, I respect many of the views expressed here, but please, GIVE DISNEY & HENSON A CHANCE! Don't today's set of clouds have a silver lining?

Thank you, and good night.

OI MuppetFan

P.S. Please don't hate me either! :halo: I love Disney, the Muppets, and this site too! I'm just tired of the negative and one-sided tone permeating this thread, that's all.

grouchman

Reaction score
the animosity...or is it "animal-mouse-ity"?...toward the idea of a disney-muppet co-venture is not completely unfounded.

anybody remember all the same kind of b.s. being spouted by brian and mr. bob iger when abc was all set to enter this wonderful creative partnership with the jim henson company some years ago? wasn't this ABC under Disney's watch? they didn't give "muppets tonight" more than, what, 6 or seven episodes before yanking it. plus, they only promoted it as another kiddie show, if at all. and anybody remember that other sitcom entry in the grand legacy...with the alien in the family?

love mr. walt disney and what he and his company accomplished all you want...i know i do. but don't be deluded into thinking the thing walking around calling itself "Disney" today is the same animal.

Beebers

Reaction score
Conan O'Brien just rolled a vomiting Kermit wearing Mickey Mouse ears all the way from stageright to stageleft.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Ok, I am still not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

So, I am going to shut up.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Beebers said:
Conan O'Brien just rolled a vomiting Kermit wearing Mickey Mouse ears all the way from stageright to stageleft.
Yeah, that was pretty funny. You know something's newsworthy when it's on Conan O'Brien. :zany:

Tera

Reaction score
YUCK!

This isn't what I wanted for my bday either. And now there won't ever be a Muppetfest2 :cry: .

beaker

Reaction score
so ya folks already for that fine print on merchandise?
MUPPETS COOL STUFF

[(2004) Walt Disney Corporation Muppets

Tera said:
YUCK!

This isn't what I wanted for my bday either. And now there won't ever be a Muppetfest2 :cry: .
I think Im gonna cry with ya...its sinking in what this all means. Btw, happy bday tera!(i just had mine not to long ago)

Beebers said:
Dude, are ya serious? Whoah! I havent heard anything about this in the news or pop culture stuff(then again I dont watch tv, heh)