Henson film festival November 20-21 in New York

matleo

Reaction score
hey gang,
just got something in the mail from the Jim Henson Foundation regarding puppet stuff going on this fall in the city. Anyway, one of the things they mention is a Henson film fest at the Brooklyn Academy of Music on Nov. 20-21st. here's the official description......

A film series celebrating Jim Henson's work, featuring classic Muppet, Fraggle, & fantasy favories and rarely seen footage, along with talks by Henson collaborators and puppet-building workshops for kids. produced in collaboration with the Jim Henson Legacy.

For more information hey have the websote www.bam.org andthe phone number 718-636-4100.

If I find anything else out I'lll et you know.

--Matt

Movies205

Reaction score
I definately want go to this, I love all of Jim Henson stuff, definately worth going I would thing :smile:

matleo

Reaction score
HUGE UPDATE!!

bam.org has updated their site with everything that's going on for the Henson film Fest. LOTS of stuff being shown and lots of it happening atthe same time so be plan carefully. Also, if anyone can figure out how ot get tickest, please let me know. I'm having a heck of a time. Anyway, here's the official link....

http://www.bam.org/film/Muppets.aspx
...and here's the rundown....

Nov 20 & 21
In conjunction with The Jim Henson Legacy and the Jane Henson Foundation, BAM pays tribute to one of the world’s most inspired and innovative film and puppetry artists, Jim Henson. A visionary TV producer and a world-class puppeteer who created indelible characters like Kermit the Frog, Henson brought a unique combination of childlike wonder and adult sophistication to his groundbreaking work for children and adults alike. Morning and early afternoon screenings feature films for kids of all ages, while evening programs focus on Henson’s experimental work, rarities, and films for all the adults who never grew up. This weekend-long series will explore all facets of this prolific performer’s output, while allowing children to make their own puppets in our workshops throughout the day. And who knows? Maybe you’ll see walkaround Cookie Monster…

Muppet Music Moments (shorts program) 75min
Sat, Nov 20 at 10am
Various Directors
Music was always an integral part of The Muppet Show, and we have assembled a collection of some of the classic musical numbers interpreted as only the Muppets can. This compilation features a wide range of musical genres including performances by guest stars Harry Belafonte, Elton John, Linda Ronstadt, and many more. Introduced by Jerry Juhl, original Muppet writer.

Sesame Street Presents: Follow That Bird (1985) 88min
Sat, Nov 20 at 10:15am
Directed by Ken Kwapis
After an adoption agency lures Big Bird away to live with a bird family so he can grow up “with his own kind,” he quickly becomes homesick. As he returns to Sesame Street, a couple of unscrupulous and bumbling carnival owners scheme to put him in their sideshow. In the end Big Bird realizes who his real family is—the wonderfully diverse community of Sesame Street. Q&A and book signing with Caroll Spinney, Big Bird’s performer and author of The Wisdom of Big Bird (and the Dark Genius of Oscar the Grouch): Lessons from a Life in Feathers, written with J. Milligan.

A Muppet Family Christmas (shorts program) 105min
Sat, Nov 20 at 10:30am
Directed by Peter Harris
The Muppets, Sesame Street regulars, and the Fraggles all get together in this rare gathering of the extended Muppet family. Even Jim Henson himself shows up to celebrate. The program features clips from other Christmas specials, which include some of the best Muppet moments. Introduced by Jerry Juhl, original Muppet writer.

The Great Muppet Caper (1981) 95min
Sat, Nov 20 at 11:30am
Directed by Jim Henson
Intrepid reporters Kermit, Fozzie Bear, and Gonzo go to London to interview fashion designer Lady Holiday (Diana Rigg), whose jewels have been stolen. When the jewel thieves strike again and Holiday’s secretary, Miss Piggy, is accused of the crime, it’s Kermit and friends to the rescue! Memorable eccentrics like John Cleese and Peter Falk join in the fun, but the scenes with Miss Piggy on a motorcycle steal the show. Introduced by Jerry Juhl, original Muppet writer.

A Better World: Living in Harmony (shorts program) 90min
Sat, Nov 20 at 12:15pm
Sun, Nov 21 at 12:15pm (see Sunday details below)
Dir. Jim Henson
An episode of the rarely seen Fraggle Rock (1983). This TV series contrasts three communities—the musical Fraggles, the industrious Doozers, and the giant Gorgs, who all co-exist in a carefully balanced underground world—with those mysterious creatures who live above ground, the humans. Despite their differences, the groups are interdependent, demonstrating the ideal of harmony and peace in the world. Introduced by Kathy Mullen, performer of Mokey Fraggle, and Michael Frith, Fraggle Rock conceptual designer. Followed by The Song of the Cloud Forest (1989) Directed by Jim Henson. This beautiful evocation of the rainforest with stunning color graphics focuses on the story of a golden toad who must avoid the “uprights” (humans) trying to capture him.

The Muppets Take Manhattan (1984) 94min
Sat, Nov 20 at 1:30pm
Directed by Frank Oz
When the Muppets’ college show is a big hit, they decide to take it to Broadway, having adventures that could happen only in the Big Apple. Cameos include Gregory Hines, Liza Minelli—even Mayor Koch shows up! The movie ends with a wedding between Kermit and his porcine love, which is part of the show within a show—or could it be for real?
Introduced by Martin Baker, producer.

The Muppet Movie (1979) 97min
Sat, Nov 20 at 4:30pm
Directed by James Frawley
As Kermit makes his way to Hollywood, he assembles his team of like-minded individuals, including Fozzie Bear, Miss Piggy, Gonzo, and more. The songs are wonderful, Dr. Teeth & the Electric Mayhem lay claim to the title of coolest rock band in history, and the film ends on a surprisingly existential note. Introduced by Jerry Juhl, original muppet writer.

Commercials & Experiments (shorts program) 90min
Sat, Nov 20 at 6:50pm
A mind-blowing collection of shorts, crazy commercials, and other rarities from the Henson vault. Highlights include: an industrial film for Wilson’s Meat that must be seen to be believed, excerpts from experimental TV programs The Cube and Youth 68, and “Time Piece”, an 8-minute masterpiece that showcases Henson’s talent for making music out of everyday sounds. Introduced by Jane Henson, Muppet co-founder; Craig Shemin, Muppet Writer & Historian; and Karen Falk, Henson Company Archivist.

Labyrinth (1986) 101min
Sat, Nov 20 at 9:30pm
Directed by Jim Henson
With Jennifer Connelly, David Bowie
A modern-day Alice in Wonderland. Connelly plays a young girl who must travel through the Labyrinth to save her baby brother from the Goblin King (a wonderfully cast David Bowie). Full of Henson Creature Shop’s imaginative design, the film’s eye-popping sets create a whole world existing just behind the facade of reality. Introduced by producer Martin Baker.

Emmet Otter’s Jug Band Christmas (shorts program) 75min
Sun, Nov 21 at 10am
Directed by Jim Henson
Get into the Christmas mood! This is the heart-warming story of Ma Otter and her son who both secretly enter a talent contest to win money for each other’s Christmas presents. They are challenged by the rowdy Riverbottom Gang and their wild hard-rock band, The Nightmare. The lovable river animals are portrayed realistically in contrast to the typical Muppet style of puppetry. The program also includes a selection of highlights from other Christmas specials. Introduced by Jerry Nelson, performer of Emmet Otter.

The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland (1999) 73min
Sun, Nov 21 at 10:15am
Directed by Gary Halvorson
Elmo loses his beloved fuzzy blanket in far-off Grouchland. Nothing will deter him from retrieving his treasured possession from the greedy Huxley (Mandy Patinkin), plunging him into a series of adventures, including a battle of wits with the Queen of Trash (Vanessa Williams). His Sesame Street buddies come to the rescue and help him learn a valuable lesson about sharing and friendship. Introduced by Kevin Clash, performer of Elmo; Stephanie D’Abruzzo, performer of Grizzy.

Muppet Fairytales (shorts program) 105min
Sun, Nov 21 at 10:30am
The Frog Prince (1971) Directed by Jim Henson. What happens when you kiss a frog? No one can better tell that classic fairytale than Kermit and his friends. Followed by
The Elves and the Shoemaker (1994) Directed by David Grossman. What if the elves who come to the aid of the shoemaker are actually Elvises? If Rapunzel appeared on Sesame Street, what twists on the story would you expect? See these classic tales through the eyes of the Muppets in this program of shorts. Introduced by Jerry Nelson, major Muppet performer.

Muppet Treasure Island (1996) 99min
Sun, Nov 21 at 11:30am
Directed by Brian Henson
Robert Louis Stevenson’s classic adventure gets the full Muppet treatment in this musical version with Kermit’s Captain pitted against the villainous Long John Silver (Tim Curry) and his band of eccentric pirates in their search for buried treasure. Miss Piggy shows up as the island’s love goddess. Introduced by Martin Baker, producer.

A Better World: Living in Harmony (shorts program) 90min
Sun, Nov 21 at 12:15pm
Dir. Jim Henson
An episode of the rarely seen Fraggle Rock (1983). This TV series contrasts three communities—the musical Fraggles, the industrious Doozers, and the giant Gorgs, who all co-exist in a carefully balanced underground world—with those mysterious creatures who live above ground, the humans. Despite their differences, the groups are interdependent, demonstrating the ideal of harmony and peace in the world. Introduced by Jerry Nelson, performer of Gobo, Marjorie the Trash Heap, and others. Followed by
The Song of the Cloud Forest (1989) Directed by Jim Henson. This beautiful evocation of the rainforest with stunning color graphics focuses on the story of a golden toad who must avoid the “uprights” (humans) trying to capture him. Introduced by Cheryl Henson, designer.

The Art of Puppetry and Storytelling (shorts program) 120min
Sun, Nov 21 at 1:30pm
Go behind the scenes to witness the magic of the Muppets in this compilation of rare footage of the variety of puppetry created by Jim Henson. See a classic episode of The Muppet Show (1979) Directed by Philip Casson. A special highlight of the program, Harry Belafonte sings an African song with puppets derived from traditional masks. Another kind of puppetry is used in The Storyteller: The Heartless Giant (1989) Directed by Jim Henson. In this episode of the remarkable TV series based on classic folk tales, an evil giant—who has hidden his heart so he will feel no emotion—tricks young prince Leo into releasing him from his dungeon. Consumed with guilt, Leo searches for the heart and learns about friendship and betrayal. Introduced by Craig Shemin, Muppet writer and historian, and Bonnie Erickson, Muppet designer.

Muppet History 101 (shorts program) 90min
Sun, Nov 21 at 4:30pm
Learn your Muppet history! This is material you won’t see anywhere else: early TV appearances, commercials, guest spots on the Dick Cavett Show, and more! Plus, this program contains the rarely-seen pilot for The Muppet Show—“The Muppets: Sex and Violence.” Curated and hosted by Craig Shemin, Muppet Writer & Historian. Special guest: Jerry Juhl, original Muppet writer.

Dog City (1989) 90min
Sun, Nov 21 at 6:50pm
Dir. Jim Henson
Dog City features one of the most fully realized puppet universes—an entire 1940s film noir city populated by wise-cracking dogs (all incredibly detailed puppets). Followed by The Storyteller: The Soldier and Death (1987) Directed by Jim Henson. One of the finest episodes produced for the landmark TV series, The Soldier and Death recounts the tale of a soldier being given three magic objects, which he uses to outwit otherworldly creatures. Introduced by Lisa Henson.

The Dark Crystal (1982) 93min
Sun, Nov 21 at 9:30pm
Directed by Jim Henson, Frank Oz
Mixing elements of Tolkien and fairy tales, Henson and Oz create a fantastic world ruled by the hulking dragon-like Skeksis, where an elf-like orphan must defeat them. Using a mix of puppetry, marionettes, and more, The Dark Crystal creates a stunning world rarely equaled in any fantasy film, yet rooted in universal myth. Introduced by Robbie Barnett, performer, and Cheryl Henson.

Hat Sharpener

Reaction score
Tickets?

Anyone know if you can buy day passes or something? At $11 a movie, it could end up costing a lot...

My sister just moved to Brooklyn, so I'm trying ot convince her to go! :smile:

- Derek

jaap

Reaction score
Will Jerry Juhl and Jerry Nelson be physically present, or is their introduction pre-recorded?

I'll be there sunday.

jaap

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
If anyone does go, please write something about it in the forums. I tried to figure out a way to go, but it was too expensive.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is being posted in our announcements folder, but I also wanted to mention it here...

If you attended the Henson film festival put on by BAM, we are looking for folks to submit their pictures and stories from the event. The best of the best will be archived on Muppet Central as a way of sharing with other fans what the special weekend was like.

Please e-mail me any photos that you have of the event. Please send the pics in the highest resolution possible along with your first and last name for photo credit. If you would like to write an editorial, describe what the weekend was like for those who weren't there. The more details the better.

Here are some examples that may be helpful...

The Unseen Work of Jim Henson
http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/editorials/unseen_work.shtml

Kermit and Kimmel Behind the Scenes
http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/editorials/kimmel.shtml

MuppetFest Archives
http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/muppetfest/index.shtml

Squigiman

Reaction score
Hey Phil,
I'd really like to submit stuff for the site. I haven't finished my roll of pictures just yet, but will be sure to scan them, once they are. I have a lot to tell, and would be glad to share it with the MC crowd. Just wanted to know what you're e-mail address, you I will be able to send you the attached files and all, through my AOL account. Thanks a lot, and take care.

-Squigiman

yaytime

Reaction score
Tickets sold old pretty quick.
I was able to see Labyrinth and it was packed! It was a lot of fun but weird cuz the audience just laughed at every line cuz they seemed to know it soooo well. And of course because of David Bowies "pants" :wink:

I wish I could have seen some more of the other shows too. But I'm glad I went to what I could. Hopefully since the place was so packed they'll do more things like this.