Help Sesame Street get 1 Billion Views on YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I sure hope you're kidding. There can't possibly be a billion clips to upload. A hundred thousand, maybe.
It would be interesting if a Sesame Workshop archivist could take the time to count every insert ever produced (or at least broadcast) and then count every street story/unrelated street scene that wasn't ever repeated.

Hmmm, I wonder if I have the time to make a list of 1 billion clips I know about that Sesame Workshop has not uploaded on YouTube... (okay, this time I am kidding, sort of).

Of course, Sesame Workshop not only has clips from the show that could be uploaded, but also clips from the various Sesame Street specials, the test pilots (assuming all five still exist), various direct-to-video projects, and the various international versions of Sesame Street.

Last night I watched several videos on Sesame Workshop's "1 billion views" playlist. I wonder if Sesame Workshop chose those clips or if those are the most popular ones. Not many classic clips were included, while too many celebrity ones were. I guess one clue that it's not the most-viewed clips is the fact that the playlist starts with the video announcing the "1 billion views" promotion which was just uploaded yesterday. Not sure how that could have become the most-viewed video so soon.

One thought that came to my head: Maybe this video will feature Matt Vogel's first vocal performance as The Count (and maybe other Jerry Nelson characters). THAT'D be great (for us, casual fans and kids might not understand the significance). Or maybe it's the first appearance of Elmo with a new performer (depending on how recently this was planned).

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Yes, the videos in the "1 Billion Playlist" are the top 25 most viewed.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Maybe what they can do is make some webexclusive videos that spoof other internet phenomena, like Annoying Orange, Fred, Shane Dawson, Adam the Woo, Angry Video Game Nerd, Nostalgia Critic, HISHE, and all that other stuff.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
Quick! Everyone watch every single video Sesame Street has uploaded to Youtube! It would be much quicker.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
...one view on each video would account for around 1,000 views, which hardly puts a dent in the number.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Quick! Everyone watch every single video Sesame Street has uploaded to Youtube! It would be much quicker.
I tried watching at least the first few seconds of each (I think just doing that does add to view counts). I tried in order, but it's hard... For some reason YouTube did away with that "other videos from user" thing where when you watch a video you can see a list of some of the other videos uploaded in order. That would be helpful in watching them all in uploaded order. All I can do is go to the channel page and see the order there.

But I've been watching several videos, some full, some just a little bit.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
This kinda feels like the Fan-A-Thon again. Except the number here actually exists. :laugh:

I think they can easily make it to a billion in 40 days.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've been spending the last two and a half hours watching Sesame Street video clips (that were posted by Sesame Workshop" on YouTube. I've clicked on various playlists, sometimes only watching the first few seconds of a video and other times watching full video clips (depending on if a clip is one of my favorites or if it's something I haven't watched much but wanted to get familiar with). It's interesting how the songs playlist has a few "private videos". Why put those in a public playlist when the average person can't view them?

I looked at the number of uploaded videos and multiplied it with the number of channel subscribers to see how many views there would be if every subscriber watched every video on the channel. I can't remember the number, but it's less than a billion.

I noticed one page on the channel is "campaign", listing how many views there's been but it also says that there are 44 days left. Really? They're giving it a deadline goal? I guess if it doesn't reach 1 billion views in 44 days we won't get to see the secret video, but why do they need such a goal? How's it benefit Sesame Workshop if they don't reach 1 billion views in 44 days? Yes, I know they're not asking for 1 billion views in 44 days but for that many to be accounted for by then. I think Sesame Workshop has stated a desire to be the first nonprofit company with that many YouTube views, but they could still be beaten in less than 44 days (but not bloody likely!).

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I noticed one page on the channel is "campaign", listing how many views there's been but it also says that there are 44 days left. Really? They're giving it a deadline goal? I guess if it doesn't reach 1 billion views in 44 days we won't get to see the secret video, but why do they need such a goal? How's it benefit Sesame Workshop if they don't reach 1 billion views in 44 days? Yes, I know they're not asking for 1 billion views in 44 days but for that many to be accounted for by then. I think Sesame Workshop has stated a desire to be the first nonprofit company with that many YouTube views, but they could still be beaten in less than 44 days (but not bloody likely!).
Read about the YouTube campaign feature here:

http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2814039

The 44 days thing is something they pretty much have to set; think like Kickstarter. I don't think they'll accomplish their goal by then, but I don't we they won't release the secret video if they don't reach 1 billion views by that target date.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Another thing I've noticed: It seems every time I look at the thing listing how many video views there's been, it's always the same number. And I've watched several videos today, so the number should have gone up.

Status
Not open for further replies.