Help Save British Fraggle Rock Episodes

theSHE124

Reaction score
2/3?! Whoa! That is much more than what I first heard! Thanks for the update, and I still wanna support y'all overseas! :excited:

anathema

Reaction score
Here we go, folks - from The Honk of Honks, the moment when Gobo and BJ meet:

'BJ' stands for 'Birtwhistle Junior'. He's the son of the owner of the lighthouse, Mr Birtwhistle, with whom the Captain had a number of run-ins. BJ took over from PK at the start of Series Four, PK's departure being explained as due to him not wanting to stay now that the lighthouse is being automated. BJ is an interim caretaker to look after the place for its final few months before the computers take over its running.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
Great pic. I believe that Jerry Nelson, Steve Whitmire, Dave Goelz, Karen Prell, and Kathy Mullen all went to the U.K to perform the Fraggles during the final episode because they're show was already over in the USA. Is that right?

anathema

Reaction score
Karen performed Red as she was in London at the time, but the other four were performed by UK puppeteers.

Mister Muppet

Reaction score
Its great to hear more Uk episodes have been found I really hope that some day these all get found and that they all make it eventually on to DVD I would love to see them :smile:

anathema

Reaction score
Its great to hear more Uk episodes have been found I really hope that some day these all get found and that they all make it eventually on to DVD I would love to see them :smile:
I should stress that the majority of known recordings are on VHS, mainly recorded off-air at the time of the original broadcasts, and are not all of good quality. They're all watchable, but in many cases that's about all you can say for them. None of them are even close to being suitable for a commercial DVD release, but they're better than nothing.

There are 12 broadcast-quality episodes available on DVD, and the BFI have a further 17 which I am informed are broadcast-quality and hence suitable for a DVD release. I don't know whether Henson have copies of these latter tapes, or are even aware of their existence. Beyond that the only hope is that the original mastertapes have survived somewhere.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
I should stress that the majority of known recordings are on VHS, mainly recorded off-air at the time of the original broadcasts, and are not all of good quality. They're all watchable, but in many cases that's about all you can say for them. None of them are even close to being suitable for a commercial DVD release, but they're better than nothing.

There are 12 broadcast-quality episodes available on DVD, and the BFI have a further 17 which I am informed are broadcast-quality and hence suitable for a DVD release. I don't know whether Henson have copies of these latter tapes, or are even aware of their existence. Beyond that the only hope is that the original mastertapes have survived somewhere.
Yeah. I hope the original mastertapes survive somewhere, too. Speaking of original mastertapes, I think that The Muppets: A Celebration of 30 Years is in broadcast-quality, too.

anathema

Reaction score
No reason why it shouldn't be - Henson seem to have been generally very diligent about retaining the master-tapes. FR:UK seems to be the exception, possibly because it was an overseas co-production.