Harold "Hal" Miller 1933-2017

Gordon Matt

Reaction score
Apparently he passed away five years ago. I had no idea.

I just happened to stumble on this info via his Facebook page (as Harold Miller).

Or am I the last to know this?

hooperfan

Reaction score
That's news to me as well. He seemed to have lived a happy and peaceful life judging by his posts.

Gordon Matt

Reaction score
That's news to me as well. He seemed to have lived a happy and peaceful life judging by his posts.
He seemed like a nice guy. Also regarding why he left Sesame Street, in a post he said this:

"Great fun doing 'Gordon' but I had to move on"

and

"I got out of my 14 page contract after the second season and went to LA to co star for Columbia Pictures in the cop show 'Joe Forrester' and the cowboy series 'Quest'"

(I don't see his name in the cast listings for either series at IMDB.)

Last edited:

Gordon Matt

Reaction score
How is it that Muppet Wiki, IMDB and Wikipedia don't know about this?

hooperfan

Reaction score
Maybe the only real announcement was on his Facebook page?

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I am thinking he didn't want his death made public.

I grew up on the Roscoe era of Gordon, and I never heard of the original Gordon except for his likeness on books.

Gordon Matt

Reaction score
I am thinking he didn't want his death made public.

I grew up on the Roscoe era of Gordon, and I never heard of the original Gordon except for his likeness on books.
Roscoe Orman played him for decades and was very good, and just by virtue of the show going on as long as it did (and has), statistically he's "most people's Gordon."

But Matt Robinson was the Gordon I knew, and of course I'm biased for that reason, but to me he was the best and coolest Gordon (YMMV). As I got a little older I did watch both Miller and Orman as a kid, and both felt like imposters to me, because the original Gordon had a three-year head start to establish himself as the character. It made a huge difference to me and I guess it kind of "broke the fourth wall" in a way, showing that these were just actors playing characters.

As an adult I have come to appreciate the contributions of the other Gordon actors. But last night I watched a Miller show on You Tube and while it was good to see him, something about it just felt "wrong" to me, still.

I like him. But I also really liked Joey D'Auria as Bozo (even though I was in high school by then), but Bob Bell will always be the "real" Bozo to me.

dvakman

Reaction score
As I've mentioned before, Roscoe Orman will always be "my" Gordon... I grew up with him, met him in person as a child and think he's been such a wonderful performer and human being over the decades.

That being said, after having the opportunity to view the earlier episodes, I think it's OK for me to admit that Matt Robinson is my favorite Gordon as an adult. He's a hipster, curmudgeon and comedian all wrapped up into one. Exhibit A: https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/Episode_0168