Hanna-Barbera

wiley207

Reaction score
Regarding Richie Rich impostors, there were two in the animated series. One was in the Zillion Dollar Adventures segment titled "Villains, Incorporated" during the second season of The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show, where Dr. Disguise impersonated Richie, his girlfriend Gloria, and even Dollar. The other example was in November 1982 during The Pac-Man/Little Rascals/Richie Rich Show, and that episode was a Riches segment titled "Look-Alike" - which would be the last original Riches segment ever broadcast.
That's right. I used a picture of Dr. Disguise as Richie, as I was initially only aware about that one. Richie's dog Dollar also got impersonated twice; first in the first season episode "Counterfeit Dollar," which is based off a comic book story, and again in the aforementioned "Villains, Incorporated."

Also, it's worth mentioning that C.H. Greenblatt's ("Chowder" and "Harvey Beaks" creator) Hanna-Barbera reboot series "Chowder" has premiered today on HBO Max. So far from what I've seen, it's basically "Chowder" with lesser-known H-B franchises.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Ok I have a question to ask. It's about when the Tom and Jerry 50th Birthday Bash aired. Now sources have told me it aired November 30th of 1990.
But I have just found some information that could state the fact that it didn't air in 1990 of November.
I just recently bought a tape off Ebay of some 3 Stooges shorts recorded off TBS in 1993.
During one of the commercial breaks it talks about the Tom and Jerry 50th Birthday Bash airing that coming Sunday.
Now it never says it's a re-airing or the actual date on that Sunday. It just says coming this Sunday is the TV Special.
It sounds like in the ad that it's the first time it's airing.
How could it of aired either in 1990 on TBS if I have the ad which was recorded from 1993 on TBS?
I thought someone might know if the source marital is right or it aired in 1993.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I noticed that, except for MeTV, older H-B cartoons are not shown anywhere anymore. Though I do know that Boomerang offers a number of core H-B cartoon series (i.e. "Smurfs", "Yogi Bear", "The Flintstones", "Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels", "Richie Rich", and all "Scooby-Doo" series through "Guess Who?"). Many of the series available on the Boomerang site had a vast number of episodes, however "Monchhichis" is a rare one-season series that is available. I do know that, for "Richie Rich", there are no Gems segments from "The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show" available, but eight of the Gems segments from "The Pac-Man/Little Rascals/Richie Rich Show" are available (there were 13 produced, but the last five of them were originally aired on ABC during a time when there were repeats of Riches, Treasure Chest and Zillion Dollar Adventures segments, but never released since - but two of such segments were once available on YouTube and Dailymotion). On the Boomerang app, only one Riches segment is missing, and that is "The Money Talks".

The latest news, however, is that last February, a Canadian version of Boomerang had launched. However, except for the non-HB series "The Raccoons" (first aired 1985 to 1990), everything else on the schedule appears to be from the 2010s and 2020s. I always thought Boomerang was called that because of cartoons that baby boomers enjoy when the network first launched were given an opportunity for their kids to watch? And I learned something on another site that the absence of older H-B series could be linked to Warner and their lack of desire to release older H-B programs for television broadcast anymore - is this true? Though I do know MeTV does air older H-B cartoons, but mostly "The Flintstones" and "The Jetsons".

Boomerang Canada, upon launch last February, took over the channel previously occupied by Cartoon Network Canada - which in turn replaced Teletoon Retro in 2015. Cartoon Network, since February, now occupies the channel previously occupied by Teletoon.

Last edited:

ACvillagerFan

Reaction score
Boomerang, really at this point, has become Cartoon Network 2. Basically just another network for Cartoon Network to dump their reruns on. Kind of already was that way before their 2015 relaunch, but it's even more so now than it was before.

I was subscribed to the Boomerang app prior to HBO Max. Haven't really kept up with it, but it always felt kind of disorganized with many shows gradually trickling out their episodes. But it did lead to some good stuff. I think this was the first we really saw the 80s revival of Yogi Bear being offered digitally. And I was surprised they kept in the Magilla Gorilla opening, despite that show's recurring segments not being included.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I have noticed that Boomerang has been showing a few of the older Hanna Barbera shows since then. I know I did a recording back in 2021 when they did a Thanksgiving Day Weekend where they showed shows like the 60's and 80's Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Popeye, Tom and Jerry, Scooby Doo Where Are You!, Scooby and Scrappy, Josie and the Pussycats and 60's and 80's Johnny Quest and Wacky Races too. I wished they do more of these types of Holiday marathons or whatever you want to call them.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
The one gripe I have about the Boomerang streaming site is that some segments are missing. For instance, the Richie Rich Riches segment "The Money Talks" is not available as well as all of the Richie Rich Gems segments from the first two seasons; and for Smurfs, "Queen Smurfette" from Season 5 is not there.

ASD Mind

Reaction score
I am one MAJOR Hanna-Barbera fangirl. That's basically all I can say, unless you want a list of my favorites. And here they are, in no particular order (except for maybe the first one):
The Impossibles
Josie & the Pussycats
Top Cat
Wacky Races
The Perils of Penelope Pitstop
Atom Ant
Secret Squirrel
The Jetsons
Shirt Tales
Shazzan
Smurfs
Paw Paws
A Pup Named Scooby Doo (I actually like this better than the original Scooby Doo, please don't hurt me!)

When it comes to characters like Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Quick Draw McGraw, Auggie Doggie and Doggie Daddy, etc. etc. etc., I prefer shows like "Yogi's Gang" and "Yogi's Treasure Hunt" over their actual solo cartoons.
The Perils Of Penelope Pitstop is a favorite of mine as well. Spun off from Wacky Races, and had been part of the 1969-1970 CBS Saturday morning schedule. Other Hanna-Barbera favorites of mine are The Banana Splits Adventure Hour, and what I call most of the episodes of an intelligent adult animated sitcom; Wait 'Till Your Father Gets Home, which began life as an animated story segment on Love American Style titled Love And The Old-Fashioned Father, original ABC airdate of February 11, 1972.

feebleweeble

Reaction score
You forgot about their Berenstain Bears series, co-produced by Australia's Southern Star Productions. That one was a great wacky series, and strangely had better animation quality than their usual stuff at the time. Too bad Nelvana's later version came up short in comparison, probably because Stan and Jan weren't around to write it thanks to Canadian content regulations.
They also had different voice actors. I love both Papa’s though.

wiley207

Reaction score
They also had different voice actors. I love both Papa’s though.
When I read the stories, I hear Papa Bear's 1980s voice (Brian Cummings) alongside Mama Bear's 2000s voice. They seem to fit the characters the best, to me that is.
Funny enough, I seem to have done more YouTube Poops of the 2000s series than the 1980s series. Also, after Southern Star was folded into Endemol Shine Australia in 2013, Nelvana acquired distribution rights to the 1980s series so they could have the full animated "Berenstain Bears" library, currently co-owning the show with Berenstain Enterprises and WildBrain. (With the 2000s series, it's PBS instead of WildBrain.)