Hanna-Barbera

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Another couple of clips from the 50th Anniversary special. You usually don't see T&J or the Smurfs in these things.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Well, they've been saying for a while that they were gonna revive several of Hanna-Barbera's franchises, so i'm not too surprised about that. But the thing that does surprise me and disappoints me a little, is the fact that they're doing a WWE movie AGAIN. I mean seriously, first Scooby Doo had two seperate movies about WWE, and then The Flinstones did one, and now the Jetsons. I mean seriously, do something original! Clearly Warner must have some kind of contract with them.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That's exactly what Daffy said at Bugs Bunny's 51 1/2 birthday. "Warner Bros. doesn't have an original bone in its--"

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, they've been saying for a while that they were gonna revive several of Hanna-Barbera's franchises, so i'm not too surprised about that. But the thing that does surprise me and disappoints me a little, is the fact that they're doing a WWE movie AGAIN. I mean seriously, first Scooby Doo had two seperate movies about WWE, and then The Flinstones did one, and now the Jetsons. I mean seriously, do something original! Clearly Warner must have some kind of contract with them.
I agree, but feel more disappointed not so much they're doing something again with the WWE but the fact they have to in order to keep these classic franchises going. As I've said countless times before, The Flintstones for at least a generation will remember them only as cereal and vitamin mascots. The WWE Flintstones movie was the first thing in a decade to feature them not shilling cereal (which they're barely even in the commercials for now anyway). And the Flintstones was a hugely successful cartoon that ran for several seasons. And that's not counting the spinoffs up into the 80's and telefilms of the early 90's. The Jetsons failed its prime time run, but kept alive in reruns until the 80's series, which was a great deal more kiddy. And after that animated movie that could have gone better, they've been striving to make a live action film that kept not happening. Sucks that The Jetsons has to brand itself with WWE to actually get something out of it (not counting the John K shorts and their appearance on Harvey Birdman, both a decade old or so), but it's a shame that there hasn't been a reason to bring them back since Jet Dry commercials. Also 10 years old, actually.

Think of it this way. There's a Johnny Quest movie that's actually going to happen at some point. They had to introduce the characters by making a movie where they cross over with Tom and Jerry and still don't get top billing. I'm glad that HB can still release toys of (of all things) Hong Kong Phooey and have them be successful to collectors, but all we're seeing is Scooby-Doo and Tom and Jerry DTV's and cartoons that barely air.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
When I was little, I remember collecting Hannah Barbara dolls that came in Dairy Queen kids meals. The very nice woman who owned the local Dairy Queen at the time made sure my collection was complete, :smile:.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I agree, but feel more disappointed not so much they're doing something again with the WWE but the fact they have to in order to keep these classic franchises going. As I've said countless times before, The Flintstones for at least a generation will remember them only as cereal and vitamin mascots. The WWE Flintstones movie was the first thing in a decade to feature them not shilling cereal (which they're barely even in the commercials for now anyway). And the Flintstones was a hugely successful cartoon that ran for several seasons. And that's not counting the spinoffs up into the 80's and telefilms of the early 90's. The Jetsons failed its prime time run, but kept alive in reruns until the 80's series, which was a great deal more kiddy. And after that animated movie that could have gone better, they've been striving to make a live action film that kept not happening. Sucks that The Jetsons has to brand itself with WWE to actually get something out of it (not counting the John K shorts and their appearance on Harvey Birdman, both a decade old or so), but it's a shame that there hasn't been a reason to bring them back since Jet Dry commercials. Also 10 years old, actually.

Think of it this way. There's a Johnny Quest movie that's actually going to happen at some point. They had to introduce the characters by making a movie where they cross over with Tom and Jerry and still don't get top billing. I'm glad that HB can still release toys of (of all things) Hong Kong Phooey and have them be successful to collectors, but all we're seeing is Scooby-Doo and Tom and Jerry DTV's and cartoons that barely air.
Yeah. At least "Top Cat" has had a nice following in Mexico - even if it only resulted in a couple of so-so feature films. No chance of seeing the likes of Huckleberry Hound or Quick Draw get that treatment - or any kind of treatment, for that matter.

On a related note - a silly April Fools Day article on a Snagglepuss movie.
http://www.animationmagazine.net/features/warner-bros-greenlights-scalia-snagglepuss-movie/

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah. At least "Top Cat" has had a nice following in Mexico - even if it only resulted in a couple of so-so feature films. No chance of seeing the likes of Huckleberry Hound or Quick Draw get that treatment - or any kind of treatment, for that matter.
Yeah. That was an odd one. I had it in my Netflix queue for a bit before it disappeared and never got to watch it. I've heard of the odd other country getting some weird version of an American cartoon before (Japan's 1970's Little Lulu anime and the infamous TMNT OVAs, not to mention that we're getting a lot of French Co-productions lately), but the Top Cat movie totally confused and surprised me. I hear there's a Woody Woodpecker movie coming as well, but even then, Woody Woodpecker is the default Mickey Mouse to Universal. Top Cat did appear in that Fender Bender cartoon from Wake Rattle and Roll, and had that 1980's telefilm, but when was the last time you heard someone talk about Top Cat?

Still, I can appreciate that Hanna Barbera merchandise still works on nostalgia, even though it's nostalgia for the over 40 set and those who are die hard HB fans. I bring up Hong Kong Phooey because the character hasn't been in much other than his own 1974 cartoon series and the cameos in Laff-A-Lympics, and you see him in merchandise from time to time. Even then, there's a stock roster of HB characters they tend to keep using. Usually Yogi Bear characters and Dastardly and Muttley, who somehow are and aren't Yogi characters at the same time.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Yeah. That was an odd one. I had it in my Netflix queue for a bit before it disappeared and never got to watch it. I've heard of the odd other country getting some weird version of an American cartoon before (Japan's 1970's Little Lulu anime and the infamous TMNT OVAs, not to mention that we're getting a lot of French Co-productions lately), but the Top Cat movie totally confused and surprised me. I hear there's a Woody Woodpecker movie coming as well, but even then, Woody Woodpecker is the default Mickey Mouse to Universal. Top Cat did appear in that Fender Bender cartoon from Wake Rattle and Roll, and had that 1980's telefilm, but when was the last time you heard someone talk about Top Cat?

Still, I can appreciate that Hanna Barbera merchandise still works on nostalgia, even though it's nostalgia for the over 40 set and those who are die hard HB fans. I bring up Hong Kong Phooey because the character hasn't been in much other than his own 1974 cartoon series and the cameos in Laff-A-Lympics, and you see him in merchandise from time to time. Even then, there's a stock roster of HB characters they tend to keep using. Usually Yogi Bear characters and Dastardly and Muttley, who somehow are and aren't Yogi characters at the same time.
Cartoon Network used him in some of their ads - back when the network was devoted almost entirely to HB cartoons. Usually, Tom Kenny would do his voice for these, but Arnold Stang did at least one early ad. May have been the last time he played T. C. (5:23)

And of course, there was the Harvey Birdman episode.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Rare footage of H-B from their early TV days - my favorite era of the studio's. "Every drawing is inked by a girl..." :smirk: My, but times have changed.