Grover the Waiter - The #9 Special of the Day

Soul H

Reaction score
Does anybody know what happens in this sketch? All I know is that it ended with Grover giving Fat Blue a number 9 on a plate. And what were the items on the menu?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, finally. One of these sketch-specific threads I can help out with. This was one of my fave bits with Grover and Mr. Johnson, you'll see why at the end.

Mr. Johnson comes in to have lunch at Charlie's like usual, muttering to himself why he does this.
Grover promptly comes by and states the nine items from the menu. Don't recall all the items, but I know that peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are there, along with "the ever popular arroz con pollo" (chicken and rice, a dish I enjoy often here in PR cuisine). And then he says "#9 is the Special of the Day."
The thing to remember is that each item on the menu is numbered, so it makes sense that he gets to the last item on the menu as #9, the Special of the Day. Intrigued, Mr. Johnson orders the Special of the Day, and Grover goes into the back to get it.

Here comes the punchline. When Grover brings out the dish, it's a sort of pinkish 9 standing upright instead of at an angle like the traditional SS-font 9 on a bed of lettuce.
Grover: Here you go, the number 9, the Special of the Day.
Mr. Johnson (unphased): Ah, well, you didn't ask me how I wanted it.
Grover: Beg your pardon?
Mr. Johnson: Well, this number 9 is raw and I prefer my number 9 medium rare. So take it back and bring me another one.
Grover then dumbfounded just faints to the ground.
Hope this helps and have a good day.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
The Count said:
Ah, finally. One of these sketch-specific threads I can help out with. This was one of my fave bits with Grover and Mr. Johnson, you'll see why at the end.

Mr. Johnson comes in to have lunch at Charlie's like usual, muttering to himself why he does this.
Grover promptly comes by and states the nine items from the menu. Don't recall all the items, but I know that peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are there, along with "the ever popular arroz con pollo" (chicken and rice, a dish I enjoy often here in PR cuisine). And then he says "#9 is the Special of the Day."
The thing to remember is that each item on the menu is numbered, so it makes sense that he gets to the last item on the menu as #9, the Special of the Day. Intrigued, Mr. Johnson orders the Special of the Day, and Grover goes into the back to get it.

Here comes the punchline. When Grover brings out the dish, it's a sort of pinkish 9 standing upright instead of at an angle like the traditional SS-font 9 on a bed of lettuce.
Grover: Here you go, the number 9, the Special of the Day.
Mr. Johnson (unphased): Ah, well, you didn't ask me how I wanted it.
Grover: Beg your pardon?
Mr. Johnson: Well, this number 9 is raw and I prefer my number 9 medium rare. So take it back and bring me another one.
Grover then dumbfounded just faints to the ground.

I vaguely remember that. I do remember Frank's line of dialog ("Ever popular erroz con pollo.") However, I was thinking this happened in the sketch where Grover was that Mexican dancer. Didn't he give him a "numero uno" there, which was really a "number one?" I'm kind of confused because I didn't think there were two different Grover the Waiter sketches with similar punchlines.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
No Daffyfan, you're confusing the two Waiter Grover sketches.

The line of "the ever-popular arroz con pollo!" is from the #9 Special of the Day.
The sketch where Grover did the Mexican hat dance was when Charlie's was changed to La Casa de las Comidas (the House of either "The" Foods or just Foods or Food). This second sketch was the one where there were four specialty dishes: Numero Cuatro, Numero Tres, Numero Dos, and Numero Uno.
Whenever Mr. Johnson ordered one of the dishes, Grover would bring it and then destroy it due to the fact that Manolo would start playing his guitar and Grover would do his dance instantly.
Finally, the only dish left the Nuero Uno was placed on the table before Grover did his dance. And when unveiled it was a number 1.

SesameMike

Reaction score
Does anyone remember the Grover the Waiter sketch in which he orders a sandwich from a picture on the menu? Of course, Fat Blue demands that the sandwich look EXACTLY like the one in the picture, right down to the toothpick-speared olive on top. Each time Grover came back from the kitchen, FB would say something like "Uh-uh, look at the picture."

Not sure how this one ended, though.

Dantecat

Reaction score
If you're trying to talk about the ending part of the skit SesameMike,It starts out the part where Grover gets everything from the menu at last and Fat Blue says it was perfect and after that, He said:Well,goodbye.And Grover says what do you mean good bye? And Fat Blue says My lunch break is over.I have no time to eat it.See you tommorow! And Grover gets very angry and says AHHHHHHH!!! Charlie I Quit.I'm not going to take it.While Grover says it,He runs straight to the kitchen and we hear dishes or classes break(I suppose)inside the kitchen.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
his lunch hr. is over and has no time to eat it so goes back to work whilr grover goes insane.