Golden Globes - What's the Point?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I briefly caught a glimpse of a commercial for it on TV - I think I saw clips for COMEDIANS IN CARS GETTING COFFEE, and COLLEGEHUMOR, so I guess it's not limited to Netflix.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wait just a minute . . . there's actually awards for webseries now? What kind of credentials do you have to have to get nominated for something like that? None of the work I've ever produced ever got nominated for anything. Or is this for internet-exclusive budgeted shows like shows on Netflix and the new subscription version of Hulu and such?
I'd say that's a no win situation. They'd get crap for having their own awards for net content, they'd get crap for web content getting Emmy nominations over broadcast TV.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, I don't know what exactly went down last night since I honestly could care less about any of these umpteen award shows, but after seeing all kinds of reactions all over Facebook this morning, I'm going to try and figure it out without actually looking into it, since the reaction seems to speak for itself:

So, apparently last night, during an acceptance speech, Meryl Streep made some kind of Trump rant, and apparently intelligent people with functioning brains are praising her for telling it like it is, while mindless sheep are backlashing her for being classless, tasteless, and "a lying liberal."

Apparently Drumpf himself decided to break away from Twitter to post a more lengthy rant on Facebook, calling Meryl Streep the most overrated actress ever (really? More overrated than Jennifer Lawrence?) and calling her a liar for calling him out on mocking a disabled reporter . . . which he did. And again, reaction speaks for itself: comments on his rant range from his supporters siding with him and telling him he needs to take over Hollywood and cleanse it of the libtards that are polluting show business, and comments from opposers calling him out for more of his lies and his immature retaliation of blaming the media for reporting him inaccurately everytime he's called out for his crap.

This is going to be a loooooong four years.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
Why didn't Meryl Streep address the special needs fellow who was essentially mocked and forced to stick his head in a toilet by 4 black men who were anti-Trump? Also, her comment about MMA and Football being the only entertainment left once you "get rid of all the minorities" was incredibly tone deaf, considering the majority of NFL players are African American, and MMA is one of the most diverse sports in the world, with many different nationalities represented by its athletes. Nice job Meryl Streep. This is the stuff that angers me, the kind of idea is that we are only diverse by excluding the white male demographic.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
But then again, that mentality is what's angering a lot of people, by essentially infering White Privilege, and acting like white people are under attack because of diversity. It's that kind of racist attitude that's got a lot of these people mad at the right and Drumpf for basically trying to make white people "the master race" again. I still think a lot of it is an underlying fear that many studies and statistics are showing that by 2050, whites will be a new racial minority in America, so I guess the right feels like they need to do all they can to ensure that doesn't happen, and white people continue to reign over all in America.

Not saying that any form of mockery or bullying is right no matter who the bully is, but at this point, there needs to be a stop to the whole "this is why America hates black people," "no, this is why America hates white people," "oh, way to go with reverse racism," "reverse racism is still racism," "get out of our country then." It's just like with those Black Lives Matter protests: apparently, a few prissy, privileged white people felt their entire race was under attack because unarmed black people were continually being shot and killed by renegade, gung-ho white cops, so they started Blue Lives Matter in retaliation . . . which then, only lead to some people who don't care either way to come forward with their own protests to say All Lives Matter (which they do), and since white people were fighting back against black people who were fighting against white people in the first place, that only added way more fuel to the fire, so then there were "All Lives Didn't Matter" protests.

Blacks and other races and ethnicities have historically been oppressed, repressed, and regarded as less than human in American history, so to act like white people are "under attack" because of equal rights and things like that is very backward-thinking and a threat to American unity and harmony.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
Im not afraid of becoming a "minority", I'm afraid of living in a world where I cannot express my political opinion due to it being unpopular, a world the "minorities" who have been convinced by the left that WHITE FOLKS R EEVUL and need Globalism and Left-leaning policies. I fear less because Donald Trump is in the Oval Office. There. I said it. He will do what he has the power to do to bring back the jobs that haven't yet been automated, and install Law and Order... And Justice For All. We need to have a secure border with Mexico, we need to stop the PC madness, most of all.

mr3urious

Reaction score
So, how 'bout them Oscars? In a bold repeat of Steve Harvey's blunder during the Miss Universe pageant, La La Land was mistakenly awarded the Oscar for Best Picture, but it was eventually corrected to Moonlight.

And Jimmy Kimmel was really good as host, keeping the humor going and even doing a nice thing by surprising some tourists with an invite on stage. Also gotta love all the goodies parachuting into the audience, and the Mean Tweets segment from his show. I would love to see him back again someday, to be honest.

It was nice to see Mahershala Ali win for Best Supporting Actor in Moonlight (the first Muslim to do so), and give an overly long, albeit still genuinely heartfelt, acceptance speech. Also props to Casey Affleck for his first Oscar for Best Actor in Manchester by the Sea.

And of course Disney took home Best Animated Feature with Zootopia, which I'm very happy for as it's the sort of thing that needed to be made. And the nominees were all deserving, though surprisingly Pixar got snubbed again with Finding Dory. Though at least Piper won for Best Animated Short.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
So, how 'bout them Oscars? In a bold repeat of Steve Harvey's blunder during the Miss Universe pageant, La La Land was mistakenly awarded the Oscar for Best Picture, but it was eventually corrected to Moonlight.
Jimmy Kimmel isn't exactly my favorite award show host. I like him fine on his show, but overall he seemed pretty bored the whole time. I mean I did enjoy them continuing that running gag of his and Matt Damon's rivalry, that was funny. But I just didn't enjoy him as a host.

Now, that brings me to the monumental blunder of the night. That was crazy, and I think people are gonna be talking about it for a long, long, long, long time. But Jimmy has been known to troll his audience a bit, like for instance, at the Emmys, when he announced in a very serious manner that Bill Cosby was going to present (which of course he wasn't). So, at first, I thought this was one of Jimmy's cruel tricks. I was shocked. I thought, surely this man isn't that cold hearted. But I was very happy to see it was just an honest mistake. And i'm happy that Lala Land didn't win Best Picture. I mean, don't get me wrong- I enjoyed the movie, but it's been getting so much publicity and so many awards that I really wanted another film to get some recognition. So, overall i'm happy, but I still feel really bad for the cast and crew of Lala Land. I know they're beyond disappointed, they were up there giving their speeches and everything. I hope they aren't too hurt by this misunderstanding.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Since when are the Backstreet Boys country?

mr3urious

Reaction score
Congratulations to Guillermo del Toro for Best Director and Best Picture Oscar for The Shape of Water! And no, that wasn't a mistake! :smile:

Coco took home the Best Animated Feature, no surprise there, and "Remember Me" from the same movie won for Best Original Song. The Lopez's acceptance speech wasn't quite as short and sweet when they won for "Let It Go", but they were no less grateful, and that's all that matters. :smile:

And at the Razzies, The Emoji Movie rightfully took home Worst Director, Screen Combo, Screenplay, and Picture, being the first animated movie to do so.