Golden Globes - What's the Point?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So, we just had the Grammys not too long ago, right? So, why do we now need a "Billboard Music Awards"?

Drtooth

Reaction score
We have far too many music awards. I get specialized music awards and all, but we don't need more pop music focused ones. Billboard is nothing but pop music.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
We have far too many music awards. I get specialized music awards and all, but we don't need more pop music focused ones. Billboard is nothing but pop music.
And it's not like they command a great deal of respect. Remember when Homer Simposon won a music award?

"Oh wow! An award statue! Ya...oh it's a Grammy..." :sigh:

LOL

Drtooth

Reaction score
The more I think about it, these are self congratulatory awards yes... but they're also great bragging rights for advertising. "Award Winning Artist" sounds like a nice feather in the cap. Stick it on a CD or have on on a resume, it's perfect marketing.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The more I think about it, these are self congratulatory awards yes... but they're also great bragging rights for advertising. "Award Winning Artist" sounds like a nice feather in the cap. Stick it on a CD or have on on a resume, it's perfect marketing.
Oh yeah, it all comes down to advertising. In that way I can sort of understand it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I haven't kept count on anything this year like I have last year, but I swear we've had the Emmy's like three times this year, what's going on?

Drtooth

Reaction score
There are only 2 Emmys. The barely televised Daytimes (which become more and more pointless every year) and the Prime Times, which are only once a year.

Now, I could rant about how NO ONE freaking watches Nurse Jackie and that those awards should have gone to other, funnier, actresses. But what REALLY got under my collar was the fact that they have to have an Emmy award for choreography in the actual show and they don't even mention the Prime Time animation winners in the ceremony, as that award is in the ghetto technical awards (yet they mention a couple technicals in the show's ceremony).

it would be nice to hear that The Simpsons won it again (probably) from the show itself instead of having to dig through the internet to find that out.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ken Levine posted something interesting on his blog last week about how one thing that bothers him about the Emmy's anymore is that there are THOUSANDS of winners, because so many people who have pretty much to do with the actual production of a show demand some kind of producing or consulting credit: this partly explains why almost all shows anymore have umpteen million producer credits during the main titles, like, "Executive Producer, Executive Producer, Executive Producer, Co-Executive Producer, Co-Executive Producer, Co-Executive Producer, Supervising Producer, Assistant Supervising Producer, Senior Producer, Creative Producer, Consulting Producer, Associate Producer, Assistant Producer, Ear Wax Producer, Producer, Producer, Producer, Producer, Producer, Producer, Producer, Producer, Co-Producer, C0-Producer, Co-Producer, Produced By". I asked him once about the difference between the umpteen "Producer" credits and the "Produced By" credits, and he explained that the actual producer(s) of a show is/are the one who gets the "Produced By" credit, and all the other "Producer" credits are actually given to individual writers on the writing staff to make them happy. Then again, some shows do actually have like "Staff Writers" credits during the end titles, why can't they just do that?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Um... haven't we already had the Grammy's this year?

And... WHY, exactly, do we now have to have a separate televised special just for the nominations?