Full Episodes of Johnny Carson's Tonight Show will air on Antenna TV

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the report. We'll have to keep an eye on this to see how many episodes they air from the Carson catalog.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Yeah I saw this mentioned on extra but I don't have the channel either. You can go to their website and see if you do have the channel. I would have loved to seen old Tonight Show episodes. I loved Johnny Carson. One of my favorites.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
We might get to see all of the Muppet appearances from the Tonight Show. (Except for anything prior to 1972. Most of the earlier episodes were not archived.
Slightly off-topic, but isn't it crazy to think about all the TV that was lost from the 50s to the 70s because of wiping? 10 years of Johnny Carson, World Series games, NFL games, game show, entire years of soap operas, news coverage, not to mention assuredly some prime-time shows as well. Too bad all that stuff is gone now.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Slightly off-topic, but isn't it crazy to think about all the TV that was lost from the 50s to the 70s because of wiping? 10 years of Johnny Carson, World Series games, NFL games, game show, entire years of soap operas, news coverage, not to mention assuredly some prime-time shows as well. Too bad all that stuff is gone now.
WHAT!? You mean it happened over here and not just in other countries? I had heard about Doctor Who stuff having the same thing done to it. But I never knew that it also happened here in United States.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
WHAT!? You mean it happened over here and not just in other countries? I had heard about Doctor Who stuff having the same thing done to it. But I never knew that it also happened here in United States.
They didn't have the forefront to keep things. Plus, videotape was expensive back then, so they'd record over shows.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
They didn't have the forefront to keep things. Plus, videotape was expensive back then, so they'd record over shows.
Yeah, keeping video didn't become commonplace until the early seventies, and then the general practice by 1980, which is why shows like The Price is Right survive almost intact but the original Jeopardy is pretty much gone. It's too bad, but at least US TV practices were a little more developed at the time than in the UK, since they have almost nothing left from the sixties.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Yeah, keeping video didn't become commonplace until the early seventies, and then the general practice by 1980, which is why shows like The Price is Right survive almost intact but the original Jeopardy is pretty much gone. It's too bad, but at least US TV practices were a little more developed at the time than in the UK, since they have almost nothing left from the sixties.
Man that sucks. I knew about most of the UK had lots of stuff that were taped over during the 60s. I just started getting into Doctor Who and that's when I heard about lots of shows being lost just cause of that.

P.S. I'm about to talk about something that isn't part of this thread.
I knew about Doctor who back in the early 90's cause my PBS channel would show them. I never watched them but man I wished I had. I'm trying to at least watch the fourth Doctor just cause he's the one I remember the most from those reruns. I always used to watch PBS during the early 90's on Saturdays. But enough of that.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I have Antenna TV, and watch it a lot, so I will be watching the show to see if there are muppet apperances or other celebrities from the old days promoting old things.