Framed diorama of Statler and Waldorf.

Danni

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I own a framed 'diorama' of Statler and Waldorf on their balcony.. inside the wooden framed box is Statler and Waldorf puppets sat at their balcony and includes detailing such as the red velvet curtains.
I bought this at auction and was just wondering if any of you wonderful fans and experts knew what it might be worth?

My picture is actually the item itself, and its measurements are 27.3 inches by 27.3 inches and 9 inches deep.

Thank you
D

muppetperson

Reaction score
WOW, looks great from what I can see. I didn't know there were any S & W dioramas for sale. So is this 3 D? Don't know of a value. Depends if it is some exclusive promotional item or if it was mass produced or a limited edition. I would love to find out more because I wouldn't mind buying one for myself!

ElecMayhem

Reaction score
It's hard to tell from the small image, but it looks to me like it might be a mass produced Statler & Waldorf plush set, in a custom homemade balcony. If I had to guess, I'd say those are the 2003 Heunec "beanies":

http://www.amazon.de/Waldorf-Statler-Plüschfiguren-Set/dp/B000LPZQSU

But maybe they're not. Can you see inside the box? Do the characters have legs, or are they actually puppets? Do you have larger images you can share? If this is a promo or retail item, as Peter says, I'd love to have one, too. But my guess is it's previously released plush in a custom balcony and frame.

ElecMayhem

Reaction score
Hm. They are actually only speculating that it's Igel -- they say:

"These dolls which we think are by Igel"
and
"This piece of Muppet memorabilia may have been made as a one off publicity piece of memorabilia possibly made by the German company Igel ."​
Personally, I think they are mistaken, based on the images. Not to be overly nerdy, but the Igel plush had plastic flocked heads whereas the ones in the images are clearly plush; they look far more like the Heunec ones to me.
Either way, it could have been made by the company as a display/promotional piece -- most likely for a Toy Fair or something like that. Or it could have been made by a collector.
I like it. It looks very well made. If I were to nitpick, I'd point out that Statler should be on the right.
As to what it's worth… it's hard to say. It's worth whatever you can get someone to pay for it, honestly. The dolls are rare, and probably worth a couple of hundred dollars for the set. But while the display will add value to some collectors, others who just want the dolls will see it as unnecessary, and it could even devalue the set.
Are you actually looking to sell, or are you just trying to determine value?

Danni

Reaction score
I am currently looking to sell this as sadly I'm moving home and they can no longer be accommodated :frown: where would be the best place to try to sell these wonderful muppets to a loving home?

Also I bought it at auction from my local TGI fridays restaurant as they were auctioning off all of their collectibles and memorabilia