Fraggle DVD coming this summer in the US

Let HIT know how much would you would pay for a 24-episode Fraggle season box set.

• I'd pay up to $39 per box set

Votes: 39 39.4%
  • I'd pay up to $59 per box set

Votes: 35 35.4%
  • I'd pay $79 or higher for a box set

Votes: 20 20.2%
  • I wouldn't buy a box set at any price

Votes: 5 5.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jediX

Reaction score
Muppet Crypts said:
i just bought a 3 episode disc of Garfeild today (6/29) so that they know people want it on season disc later this year when it comes out
Sorry to go off topic for a sec here, but just to clarify, Garfield & Friends (which is what I presume your disc is of, right?) season 1 is slated to come out July 27.

Oliver

Reaction score
And those were also older television specials, not episodes derived from the later 1988 season broadcasts. It's irrelevant to anything in context...

As far as the whole "testing the waters" issue... for the sake of monotonous repetition, I've already covered that ground - The consumers have spoken, it's a marketable and viable prospect, there's just no need for these cheap discs, it's careless cut-rate business practice and absolutely futile!

Someone mentioned earlier that the only demographic that HIT! is aware in regards to the demand for Fraggle Rock on DVD is that of the internet fanboys... that's just ridiculous!

To begin with, the internet is a significant medium as it covers a global venue and is not biased to any specific social standing or classification. It's the year 2004, everybody uses the internet.

Nevermind the over abundance of Muppet/FR related websites or even the dedicated DVD / home theatre forums and messageboards which constantly bring this into discussion though... Just living in and experiencing the daily routines of "the real world", I'm sure would place most if not all of us in a position to judge and discern for ourselves that the demand is out there! Of the hundreds of people we encounter each day, I'm sure we'd all be able to exemplify at least one or two who, if made aware of such a release, would be in line to purchase!

We are currently experiencing a heavy 80's revival in pop culture right now and if any time is right to market such a release, it's now! FR has been featured everywhere from VH1 retrospectives to "retro-fashioned" t-shirt and mesh hat designs to countless online topic discussions, various unrelated pop-culture and entertainment websites and blogs, etc. At the simple click of a mouse you will happen upon THOUSANDS of FR related websites, polls, petitions through any random Google search.

Gord Lacey sent me the statistics from the literally tens of thousands of registered users at his website, TVShowsOnDVD.com, who've voted in favor of SEASON BOX SETS of Fraggle Rock and the numbers speak for themselves. I don't remember the exact proportion, but a whopping magnitude had stated that they would straight-out REFUSE to purchase FR discs in any other context.

With all due respect, those who have posted in defense of HIT!'s cheap and questionable practices and claim that they will undoubtedly support any Fraggle releases which surface, ironically exhibit themselves much closer to those alleged "fanboy" extremists so often mentioned, than the rest of us who are willing to challenge and criticize second rate merchandise and business practices in favor of a quality product worthy of regard and our spending...

The proposed tactics HIT! suggests do not boast well in favor of what all of us... and everybody in general... have been asking for years now.

The Disney approach has seen it's time. Our economy is dependant on us, we the consumers. We fund the ventures, our money goes back into the companies in order to churn out more products so that we can spend even more. It's a cycle, that doesn't work if it's only one-sided. If a company's only focus is monetary gain, and we the spenders are not shown adequate respect and appreciation for giving such companies a reason to exist... they won't!

It's clear what everyone wants... but from what little is known right now, it's not what we're getting. So I'm supposed to be thankfull and "hope" that something better comes along by supporting insufficent and thoughtless output?

No. I will pay for something when it's worthy of my spending, not in "hopes" of something better.

As it stands, single 2-episode releases do not fair well for "something better" when using good judgement, as we only stand to see more individual discs to keep in format of previous issues. Anything else would render earlier pressings obsolete. Would anyone argue that a relatively new company would not see benefit in doing that to their stock?

I'm anything but a "fanboy", in fact I hardly post at this forum unless matters relevant to me such as new releases, etc prompt me, but it's about using better judgement and being responsible consumers, not being so eager to accept whatever it is that's marketed...

I hope something more positive comes of all this, as it stands, I will not be giving HIT! any of my money for what they are offering...

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
But under that same token, Palisades would lose a ton of money if they didn't test the waters with a few Mega Muppets figures and had jumped right in there and, based on the fact that everyone wanted them, made a whole line of Mega Muppets. Because, tons of the Animal and Beaker Megas went on sale, and as far as website direct sales of Camilla, which everyone wanted, isn't selling as well as it should (even though I've bought 2).

The thing is that even though all of America shouts "Give it to me!" they won't buy like they say they will. We all want Fraggle Rock, chronological DVD sets, but until they're for SURE we're gonna buy it, they don't want to put up the money for items that Blockbuster is going to be selling for $5.00 down the road.

I do understand what you mean about being a conscientious consumer, though, becasue as much as I love Muppets or Ghostbusters, or Blues Brothers or Peanuts, I won't buy something just for the franchise name, but how good of a quality it is. I'm picky, too; but, if what I see is something I "THINK" will help the marketing of something I want, I'll support it as best I can.

That, and we don't know of any releases that state that HIT! is going to release 5 volumes of 2-episode DVDs. They're only issuing one DVD with 2 ep's on it, and that's it. Everything else is just rumors.

Oliver

Reaction score
Well I do agree that until a press release has been announced, we shouldn't jump to conclusions but comparing toy merchandise, figures, dolls, etc to DVD sets is really groundless for many obvious reasons which I won't delve into.

If FR episodes were effectively remastered and presented with nice, clean transfers audio & video wise, in chronological season sets with perhaps an interview or two, there'd really be nothing but positive remarks to come. People WOULD definitely buy them.

I guess we should all wait to see what HIT! plans to do before jumping the gun, but contacting them with this sort of constructive criticism might prove effective...

King Prawn

Reaction score
I have this one, it's the first ever FR DVD released, Unfortunatley for many it was only released on R2. It contains 12 episode on 2-disks.

Hope this helped :smile:

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
wembleyfraggle said:
I just recieved this e-mail from HIT Entertainment!

July Baby!!!! At Walmart!!!!
Tyler

Ohhhhh Man this is soooooooooo cool! I loved Fraggle Rock, i remmeber seenin it on the Disney channel back in the day! :smirk: I will deff be buyin the DVD when it hits the store, i had to live on 2 FR video tapes that Disney put out back in 93, they are Vol 3. The Fraggles search & find and Vol 4. The Haunting of castle Gorg. I use to watch the Castle Gorg one EVERY day in October for Halloween like crazy. i havnt popped one in the ol VCR since.....since...... :confused: forever, i think i gonna watch one now! bye... la la la la down in fraggle rock, ... :excited:

McFraggle

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
It's only one DVD with two episodes on it, and nobody has even been able to indicate a REAL msrp for this item anyways. Except that there's a DVD with 2 episodes coming, everything in this thread is rumors.
---------------------------------------------

Gang,

I've only heard one complaint after another for years and years that there should be Fraggle Rock coming to DVD, and now that it's on the way I hear complaint after another that it's coming!!

People, seriously, is it that hard to be pleased? I shouldn't think so. The test market is our chance to buy the dvd's, show HIT that Fraggle Rock has a market, post here what we desire from them as far as DVDs, and hope for the best.

I WANT FRAGGLE ROCK ON DVD! I want to see it made season by season in chronological order with all the Fraggle-y goodness and extras that they can find!

Look past the official 2 ep dvd for the test market and see the BIG PICTURE!! There's hope on the horizon, but all anybody is doing is bashing it. Think about, and post about, what you would like to see if the test market works and they DO produce full sets of DVDs regarding Fraggles.

C'mon! Where's the positive attitudes??

Rick-a rack-a brick-a brack-a sisk-boom-bah!
Fraggle Rock! Fraggle Rock! Rah rah rah!!
Certainly agree with you here Kevin.

Gobo_Tron2

Reaction score
I hate to bit nitpicky (I'll definately be buying the DVD anyway to give HIT some incentive), but why release only 2 episodes on a DVD? I completely understand the economic logic in doing this with VHS tapes, since when those are made only the amount of magenetic tape needed to fit the content on is used in the tape - thus saving the company lots of money in the long run. But this doesn't make sense on a form of media that uses the same amount of physical material no matter how much or how little data you place on it. Does HIT have to pay royalty to Henson per every episode they put on the DVD?

Status
Not open for further replies.