Fozzie's Name

Frogster

Reaction score
What is Fozzie named after? I know of Gonzo and Kermit, but I've been told that he may have been ripped off Fonzie from Happy Days. :embarrassed:

Frogster

Reaction score
Well, I don't know if this is exactly true, but I saw a joke over at Tough Pigs that had Kermit and Rowlf backstage, and Kermit's trying to solve a crossword:
Kermit: Do you know a five-letter word that means mentally unbalanced?
(Gonzo walks by)
Kermit: Nevermind...
I thought maybe it was just the Muppets' way of telling us. :concern: But anyways, back to the question at hand...

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
I've heard many stories on Fozzie's name's origin. First (and most popular account) comes from the merging of Fozzie's performer's name, Frank Oz --> Foz --> Fozzie.

Another popular one is Fuzzy Bear --> Fozzie Bear.

And the other one I've heard is twisting Funny Bear --> Fozzie Bear

:embarrassed:

shtick

Reaction score
I think Fozzy is named after an old friend of Jim's from his old neighborhood with the same name.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Kermit was named after an old college buddy of Jim's. Gonzo though wasn't given the name based on the origin of The Muppet Show description, but rather, given the definition, Gonzo is an actual word that would also define his personality.

gon·zo
adj. Slang
1. Using an exaggerated, highly subjective style, especially in journalism: “a hyperkinetic, gonzo version of Graham Greene” (New Yorker).
2. Bizarre; unconventional. :concern:

I like the idea of Frank's name merging to become Fozzie. I read in "The Works" that one of the concern's of TMS was the creation of Fozzie who was specifically designed for Frank. It was necessary, thought the writers, that the theatre would have to have a comedian, and due to the nature of the show, it was inevitable he'd be a bad comedian. Fozzie was designed to be Frank's main character and showcase his talent, and it was thought that the show's popularity would be based strongly on his performance. They noted this as a difficult role for Frank to play because he had to develop Fozzie's personality so he wouldn't be manic depressive to to constantly being rejected from being a bad comedian, not be stupid and ignorant to his bad ability either, and in an un-funny way be very funny. Frank adopted the personality brilliantly quick and made Fozzie innocent and loveable. So the idea that Fozzie's name is such a personal thing of Frank makes sense to me. :embarrassed:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Jerry Juhl has stated that it was just a funny sounding name, and that while writing TMS it was just a character they planned on having in the show. I think it's on one of the openings to TMS by Brian Henson when it was on Oddessey, or it's on the Time Life DVDs or something.

Lab Rat

Reaction score
When Frank Oz was on the Big Breakfast plugging the score he was asked this and he said fozzie was named after Faz Fazakas 'cos he buit the original puppet's mechanics

That Announcer

Reaction score
So, who do we trust: Jerry Juhl, Brian Henson or Frank? I'm going with Jerry.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah. I'm pretty sure Fozzie's name came from Frank's. However, I've read at the Wikipedia website that Fozzie might have been named for a costume designer named Faz something-or-other. Go figure.