Forged Muppet Autographs?

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Did anyone else see the article in the Saturday review tv & radio mag with The Times newspaper in the uk? It's all about erica Wagner who grew up in NY with her parents. Her mother was responsible for answering all fan mail sent to henson associates. As Erica grew she got involved and helped to sort the mail. Her mother would reply to letters and sign ''the Muppets'' at the end!
Erica would also help by dealing with requests for individual character autographs, as she says in the article she would 'forge' kermit, miss piggy and others autographs based on the originals by jim frank etc!

Over the years over 90,000 letters & autographs were sent?

If you own character autographs were they really signed by their performer???

By some pics in the article it is my guess that if a signed pic only has the characters signature and NOT the performers as well be aware!!?

I have a personal letter to me on muppets headed paper typed and signed in green felt 'the muppets'!!

Chris

DannyRWW

Reaction score
hhmmmm I wonder if that is older ones. The autograph I have is more recent and signed by Steve Whitmire as well as the Kermit.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Would you really call that forged if she was hired by henson to sign for the muppets? Still, its not as special knowing your autograph isn't from the performer of the muppet

Drtooth

Reaction score
Would you really call that forged if she was hired by henson to sign for the muppets? Still, its not as special knowing your autograph isn't from the performer of the muppet
Unless you're there in person asking for one, there's a good chance whatever autograph you have is fake. I have no problems with my fake Fozzie autograph I got several years ago. Didn't think they'd bother tracking down Frank Oz or Eric Jacobson to sign it anyway.

I have REAL autographs of Maurice LaMarche, Rob Paulsen... One of the Cosby kids (I want to say Tempest... but I forget), I had one of the host of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego, I have one of Kenji Inafune (Japanese anime series writer.... wrote Kinnikuman, he did), the dude that currently plays Frieza in the American dub of Dragon Ball Kai, Mo Willems, 2 from Marc Brown, the guy who played Leonardo in TMNT 2k3, one from the guy who wrote Clifford... and most importantly, Carol Spinney his-self! So, I don't really mind a fake Fozzie at all.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
When I said "Still, its not as special knowing your autograph isn't from the performer of the muppet" I meant that knowing you yourself got the autograph in person is more special than any other autograph :smirk:

And I still believe that "forge" is the wrong term to use since she was hired by Henson to do it. I typically think of forgeries as people with no connection to the company or person faking a living person's autograph and making money off of it.