For those who like Movie Musicals

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, frogboy4- that's pretty cool. I mainly know Patti Lupone from "Life Goes On", but I know she's also done some great Broadway work. This is obviously a good example of that.:smile:
Interesting lyrics- wow, maybe this is why Kate Capshaw sang the song in Mandarin Chinese rather than in English for the Indy movie. (I can see where they might have some complaints about some lyrics- I can only imagine what it might have been like for Cole Porter in 1934.)
Though he was just being honest- and I can get that. As time progresses, that generally seems to be the case more and more- anything goes. I suppose that can be viewed either negatively or maybe positively (in some aspects)- but it does remind me of a Chinua Achebe book- "Things Fall Apart". Like I said- interesting lyrics to consider.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
A little over the top with the holiday choices, but a pretty good list nonetheless.
Ha ha- I know. I tend to go a little over the top a lot, I guess. LOL- Like Billy Joel, I don't know why I go to extremes.:wink:

I agree, great list (I'd have listed Disney/Muppets too, but I think that's a given on this forum lol.) I guess it's up to the individual to place the line of reverence, I'm juuuust spritiual-ish enough that "On The Willows" reduces me to tears, but I also I love Life Of Brian. (hilarious and with some awesome "take that" type moments...) I don't think anything in musical form can be taken totally seriously anyway, they're just enjoyable.
Hmm- haven't seen "Life of Brian" but I've read some about it. I don't get too much into Monty Python-style humor to begin with- I finally made myself watch "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" and just didn't find it all that terribly funny. There were some moments here and there that were pretty good, but a lot of it I found more stupid than funny. And not stupid in a good way (like an (edited) "Dumb and Dumber" style that I know is stupid but it makes me laugh)- more like, a stupid and it's not all that funny style. But that's just my opinion- I know plenty find those movies ROTFLOL-type funny, according to Weird Al.:sing: And that's cool.
I do think some things in musical form can be taken totally seriously though as some things are written with a very serious purpose in mind to elicit just that kind of response (example: "We Are the World" or "Amazing Grace", etc.) Or do you mean just musicals in general? I would agree that those generally are done well over the top and not totally seriously- but not necessarily all of them.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, frogboy4- that's pretty cool. I mainly know Patti Lupone from "Life Goes On", but I know she's also done some great Broadway work. This is obviously a good example of that.:smile:
Interesting lyrics- wow, maybe this is why Kate Capshaw sang the song in Mandarin Chinese rather than in English for the Indy movie. (I can see where they might have some complaints about some lyrics- I can only imagine what it might have been like for Cole Porter in 1934.)
Though he was just being honest- and I can get that. As time progresses, that generally seems to be the case more and more- anything goes. I suppose that can be viewed either negatively or maybe positively (in some aspects)- but it does remind me of a Chinua Achebe book- "Things Fall Apart". Like I said- interesting lyrics to consider.
You'd probably like this song too. It's from the same musical, but this performance was for former President Bush (41). People forget, but Patti was the original Evita on Broadway. :super:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Some of my personal favorite Movie Musical moments (not counting Muppets):

"I Believe in You/Gotta Stop That Man" - How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying

"A Hymn to Him" - My Fair Lady

"Hello, I Must Be Going" - Animal Crackers

"Me Ol' Bamboo" - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

"Betrayed" - The Producers

(I know it's wrong, but I can't resist...) "The Inquisition" - History of the World, Part I

"Over the Rainbow" - The Wizard of Oz (I have a soft spot for the song, particularly when Judy sings it so beautifully)

I may be back with more...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Times have changed,
And we've often rewound the clock,
Since the Puritans got a shock,
When they landed on Plymouth Rock.
If today,
Any shock they should try to stem,
'Stead of landing on Plymouth Rock,
Plymouth Rock would land on them.

In olden days a glimpse of stocking
Was looked on as something shocking,
But now, God knows,
Anything Goes.

Good authors too who once knew better words,
Now only use four letter words
Writing prose, Anything Goes.

The world has gone mad today
And good's bad today,
And black's white today,
And day's night today,
When most guys today
That women prize today
Are just silly gigolos
And though I'm not a great romancer
I know that I'm bound to answer
When you propose,
Anything goes

When grandmama whose age is eighty
In night clubs is getting matey with gigolo's,
Anything Goes.

When mothers pack and leave poor father
Because they decide they'd rather be tennis pros,
Anything Goes.

If driving fast cars you like,
If low bars you like,
If old hymns you like,
If bare limbs you like,
If Mae West you like
Or me undressed you like,
Why, nobody will oppose!
When every night,
The set that's smart
Is intruding in nudist parties in studios,
Anything Goes.

The world has gone mad today
And good's bad today,
And black's white today,
And day's night today,
When most guys today
That women prize today
Are just silly gigolos
When you propose,
Anything goes

If saying your prayers you like,
If green pears you like
If old chairs you like,
If back stairs you like,
If love affairs you like
With young bears you like,
Why nobody will oppose!

When you propose,
Anything goes...
Anything goes!
No no no! That's not the way it goes at all..

The REAL lyrics are:

Anything goes in
Anything goes out
Fish, bananas,
old pajamas,
Mutton beef or trout....

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Always Look On The Bright Side of Life - Monty Python "The Life of Brian" :wink:
It truly is a great scene, isn't it? :smile:

Hey, a Movie! - the Muppets "The Great Muppet Caper" :concern:
I always liked The Great Muppet Caper the best, though I think my favorite musical moment from it is "Steppin' Out With a Star." It's such a fun scene, and a surprisingly complicated shoot... but it looks so simple! And it's one of my favorite songs from the movie.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Digging up this thread because I was thinking of some of my favorite musical moments from television:

"Brotherhood of Man" - The Drew Carey Show: Not just because it's a great song and a great musical, but they do really well in this rendition. A really good performance!

"Life Has Been Good to Me So Far" - 3rd Rock from the Sun: Such a catchy song, and a great dance number.

And I would be remiss not to mention the "My Musical" episode of Scrubs

APRena

Reaction score
Glad this was resurrected. :smile: In the last few days I've discovered the sequel/equal/spin-off/what-have-you from Rocky Horror (that's been mentioned here, right? Mmm, all of it. Tim Curry's voice. :flirt:), Shock Treatment, and regardless of what you think of the plot (surreal, hard to follow, not *as* good as the original...) the music is awesome.

"Shock Treatment"
"Look What I Did To My Id"

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Other than the Muppets ones, here are some of my favorites: (Technically, the Cats ones are from an official video release of the stage show, although there were plans to make a movie of it at one time.)

Cats
"The Rum Tum Tugger"
"Mr. Mistoffelees"
"Mugojerrie and Rumpelteazer"
"Memory"

Grease
"Hopelessly Devoted to You"
"Summer Nights"
"Sandy"

Footloose
"Footloose"
"Let's Hear it for the Boy"

Annie
"Tomorrow"
"I Don't Need Anything But You"

Labyrinth (Okay, I said besides Muppets, but it's technically Creature Shop)
"As the World Falls Down"
"Magic Dance"
"Chilly Down"

Disney (This could be a long list, so I'll just stick to the top three love songs)
"Ma Belle Evangeline" (Princess and the Frog)
"Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" (The Lion King)
"Bella Notte" (Lady and the Tramp)

Also, a bit off topic, but I figured this would be the greatest place to mention it: I recently found out that they plan to make a movie of Wicked (along with a bunch of other Wizard of Oz movie plans).