First time poster with a lifelong question re: Muppets!

David French

Reaction score
BrianfromSC said:
While I yield to your clear and obvious Muppet knowledge, I do remember it being a little girl (human) child eaten, not another Muppet, and distinctly seeing the devouring take place in one fell swoop. :-/
Your description reminds me of the aforementioned Sherlock Holmes sketch from the Joel Grey episode of TMS. The person who got devoured in one fell swoop by Gorgon Heap was Miss Piggy who was dressed as a maid. Gorogn Heap ate her head first and the last thing you see are her shoes.

The only other sketch it could be is the "Under My Skin" number from the Vincent Price episode. In this case, a small, nervy monster with a slightly effeminate voice was eaten by a big yellow monster.

Check the episode guides of this site and see if they help ring any bells.

muppetperson

Reaction score
BrianfromSC said:
While I yield to your clear and obvious Muppet knowledge, I do remember it being a little girl (human) child eaten, not another Muppet, and distinctly seeing the devouring take place in one fell swoop. :-/
I would now say that you dreamed this after seeing one of these simular skits,
baseing it on that it couldnt be filmed in the one swoop and there hasnt been any human girls on the Muppet Show.

Blue Weirdo

Reaction score
Perhaps it simply wasn't a Muppet show but some other puppet creation.

For example Sid and Marty Krofft had a character called Mr. Munchy who, as his name suggests, ate things and people. Munchy appeared on the Kroft Superstar Show, The Bay City Rollers Show and the Barbara Mandrell show and he frequently ate the live actors.

Actually from your description I think it's possible it was Munchy you saw.

I've only seen Munchy in action in one short Bloopers clip. It was a scene form the Barbra Mandrell show. Munchy was dressed as a football player and Barbra was dressed as a cheerleader singing until he suddenly eats her. Now apparently it took them at least 3 takes to get the shot. In the actual aired shot Barbra is completely swallowed by Munchy but in one take she winds up knocking the puppet's head off and in another she gets stuck halfway in his mouth.

I got some information on another board I frequent. Time Life is putting out a Best of The Barbra Mandrell show DVD set so there was talk about it and the subject of Munchy was brought up. Apparently he was on the show and ate all 3 of the Mandrell sisters on numerous occasions. One guy described an episode where it was a running gag that he ate all three on the same episode. (he got one then the other then the third spent the rest of the show trying to avoid him but ultimately lost) Again this is a passed on story so I'm not sure about the accuracy.

Tim

Reaction score
Blue Weirdo said:
Perhaps it simply wasn't a Muppet show but some other puppet creation.

For example Sid and Marty Krofft had a character called Mr. Munchy who, as his name suggests, ate things and people. Munchy appeared on the Kroft Superstar Show, The Bay City Rollers Show and the Barbara Mandrell show and he frequently ate the live actors.

Actually from your description I think it's possible it was Munchy you saw.

I've only seen Munchy in action in one short Bloopers clip. It was a scene form the Barbra Mandrell show. Munchy was dressed as a football player and Barbra was dressed as a cheerleader singing until he suddenly eats her. Now apparently it took them at least 3 takes to get the shot. In the actual aired shot Barbra is completely swallowed by Munchy but in one take she winds up knocking the puppet's head off and in another she gets stuck halfway in his mouth.

I got some information on another board I frequent. Time Life is putting out a Best of The Barbra Mandrell show DVD set so there was talk about it and the subject of Munchy was brought up. Apparently he was on the show and ate all 3 of the Mandrell sisters on numerous occasions. One guy described an episode where it was a running gag that he ate all three on the same episode. (he got one then the other then the third spent the rest of the show trying to avoid him but ultimately lost) Again this is a passed on story so I'm not sure about the accuracy.
And just to confuse the issue further Mr. Munchy DID totally eat Ruth Buzzy on another Krofft variety show with her legs sticking out.

unclematt

Reaction score
muppetperson said:
Brooke Shields has been the only real youngest girl on the show but I dont recall her getting eaten.I recall a monster eating someone and the shoes sticking out of his mouth.I am starting to recall something about a sketch where someone was murdered and the guest kept telling the monster about the clues and as she looked away, the monster would eat each clue.Then he ate her.Not sure who it was.Rita Morono or Ruth Buzi perhaps?The Muppet monster was Gordon Heap, which also fits in with the description of the big nose.
Thats what I thought about right away was the Brooke Shields episode. I think I read some where that she helped design some of the Muppets that appeared in that episode.