First time poster with a lifelong question re: Muppets!

BrianfromSC

Reaction score
Hi guys, Brian from South Carolina. Lifelong muppets fan. I have a question for you guys since you are the OBVIOUS Muppet masters.

I preface this question with a request. If I'm off my rocker here, forgive me and don't laugh TOO hard at me:zany:. I have a very strong memory of something but not sure whether it originated from a dream or not but here goes anyway.

Ok, I'm 85 to 90% sure that this memory came from the Muppet show itself. I distinctly remember a monster Muppet. I would bet he was like a big brown ball with a big long nose (yellow maybe)? Anyway on this show, I seem to remember there was a little girl on the show (live person) and she was wearing a dress. Maybe she was on the show singing, I'm not sure. However, I distinctly remember him eating her whole (!!!!) or trying to eat this little girl.

Now I know this sounds rather macabre, and I don't remember the feeling of the show being that this was horrible, but as a child I remember a little girl being eaten whole by this monster!

Am I crazy? I got a shrink's number programmed into my cell phone if necessary! I just recently re-found the "I get mad" goat from Sesame Street via YouTube. IF I can get this memory worked out, that would be awesome.

Can someone enlighten me? Haha. IF nothing else this has to be the most bizarre first post on any bulletin board yet!

Cheers,
Brian

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the craziness that surrounds us here at MC. And that penguin you correctly identified as Zany shoulda been your first clue of just who trolls the halls here, what with his stack of action command cue cards.

The only instance of a guest star being devoured I can think of is Elton John in the opening Crocodile Rock musical number. That's not to say it's the only one out there, just the one I remember/know of.
Perhaps the monster you're thinking of is Sweetums?
Or maybe you speak of Behemoth and Shaky Sanchez performing "I've Got You Under My Skin" from the Vincent Price episode.

At any rate, if you need further help, feel free to ask and some of the other guys and gals will help.
Or you can go check for the particular characters you're speaking of by searching through all the Muppet Character articles at http://muppet.wikia.com

Hope this helps and have fun exploring the rest of the forums.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
It sounds like the Inchworm sketch, but that was usually done with either Kermit or another amphibian/lizard... it sounds like a lot of different Muppet monster eatings, but that's what first came to my mind, since Kermit often dressed as a girl for earlier numbers, though not in Inchworm.

Perhaps it's something along those lines. Maybe a Muppet girl?

muppetperson

Reaction score
Brooke Shields has been the only real youngest girl on the show but I dont recall her getting eaten.I recall a monster eating someone and the shoes sticking out of his mouth.I am starting to recall something about a sketch where someone was murdered and the guest kept telling the monster about the clues and as she looked away, the monster would eat each clue.Then he ate her.Not sure who it was.Rita Morono or Ruth Buzi perhaps?The Muppet monster was Gordon Heap, which also fits in with the description of the big nose.

David French

Reaction score
muppetperson said:
Brooke Shields has been the only real youngest girl on the show but I dont recall her getting eaten.I recall a monster eating someone and the shoes sticking out of his mouth.I am starting to recall something about a sketch where someone was murdered and the guest kept telling the monster about the clues and as she looked away, the monster would eat each clue.Then he ate her.Not sure who it was.Rita Morono or Ruth Buzi perhaps?The Muppet monster was Gordon Heap, which also fits in with the description of the big nose.
That was the Sherlock Holmes sketch from the Joel Grey episode.

BrianfromSC

Reaction score
muppetperson said:
Wow, thanks. I think it really could have been Gordon Heap. I remember the little girl singing, I wanna say. It happened on the main stage, IIRC. Perhaps she sang and this monster might have even been signing with her, and I DEFINITELY remember the shoes sticking out of the mouth.

As a kid, as you can imagine, it was rather frightening. Maybe we can piece this together after all!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Couple of things...

The monster that's being referenced in both the Inchworm and Sherlock Holmes sketches is named "Gorgon Heap", not "Gordon Heap" just to help you out. In fact, one of the greatest sources of classic TMS knowledge and TMS outline fanfic writer, Dave is known here by his screen name which is the character's name as well.

Additionally, the sketch with a monster eating another character to the point where only the devoured character's shoe is left behind... Me thinks you're referencing Sweetums in the John Cleese episode, where a character identified as John Cleese's Agent at Muppet Wiki was the owner of the afore-mentioned shoe, left as sole evidence of his being eaten by the Muppet monster.

Hope this helps and have a good day.

BrianfromSC

Reaction score
While I yield to your clear and obvious Muppet knowledge, I do remember it being a little girl (human) child eaten, not another Muppet, and distinctly seeing the devouring take place in one fell swoop. :-/

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks... But there are a lot of other folks here more knowledgeable on the subject than I. Just trying to sort out the leads presented in this thread.

Perhaps trying a search for "devouring" at Muppet Wiki will lead to more possibilities in the chance of finding the moment you're talking about.