First season closing credits

David French

Reaction score
anathema said:
In that case, may I commend you on your impressive memory! :smile:

I think I shall put a page up soon with as many original endings as I have...and a plea for copies of the missing ones!
:smile: Thanks for the kind words. I've now posted a thread about cuts made to episodes in NZ.

anathema

Reaction score
David French said:
:smile: Thanks for the kind words. I've now posted a thread about cuts made to episodes in NZ.
I forgot to ask...do you know if any other shows have 'non-standard' endings? The list I put together was purely speculative on my part (apart from Ballard and Lynn, of which I have copies :smile:

David French

Reaction score
anathema said:
I forgot to ask...do you know if any other shows have 'non-standard' endings? The list I put together was purely speculative on my part (apart from Ballard and Lynn, of which I have copies :smile:
Well....

Peter Ustinov - The Hatrack is credited as one of the writers; does that count? ;-)
Julie Andrews - Zoot's last note is replaced by a Moo. Oh, and the camera stays on the stage as the end credits run, with Julie asking Kermit and Fozzie if they've seen her cow and even describing it as having "big brown eyes with lashes". Her final line is "But it was here when I came in." We then cut in to the usual stock footage of the Orchestra Pit.
Steve Martin - There's no one clapping as the end credits roll; does that count? ;-)
Spike Milligan - The foreign guests continue to sing "It's a Small World After All" as the end credits roll. Milligan is trying to get to sleep on the stage and tells them to stop it. Kermit initially tries to join in but gives up. At that point the "old" end theme starts to play down and Kermit says "Can we kill the music? Can we stop this? Stop the music. Will you guys cut it out." Spike then throws his pillow at Kermit. At this point, Spike gets up and looks up to the balcony where he sees Statler and Waldorf singing along.
Roger Miller - The band has of course turned into Chickens. Animal pecks at his drums while Rowlf and another Chicken peck at the Piano together. Statler and Waldorf have become what looks like Weasels.
Dudley Moore - MAMMA tries to play the end theme, but it plays it in different styles eg Japanese, Jazz and even plays the Strip at one point.
Phyllis George - The camera stays on the stage as the end credits roll. Kermit tries to pacify Miss Piggy by giving her his award but she refuses to accept it. The "old' theme is played down.
Glenda Jackson - Statler and Waldorf are in the Crows Nest. One of them asks "Why do you think they call it the Crows Nest?" In answer, a Crow suddenly pops up and says "Get out of my nest you dummies."
Mac Davis - Statler and Waldorf have also been replaced by Beakers.

*Whew!*

minor muppetz

Reaction score
David French said:
Steve Martin - There's no one clapping as the end credits roll; does that count? ;-)
I wonder why the usual end credits were even used for that episode? the show was canceled, and Steve Martin was playin banjo with the jugband, so they could have played the music.

David French said:
The entire orchestra was replaced by beakers.

anathema

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I wonder why the usual end credits were even used for that episode? the show was canceled, and Steve Martin was playin banjo with the jugband, so they could have played the music..
Indeed :smile: Although the band were still in the theater and available to play - maybe it was in their contract? :smile:

anathema

Reaction score
David French said:
Well....

Peter Ustinov - The Hatrack is credited as one of the writers; does that count? ;-)
Julie Andrews - Zoot's last note is replaced by a Moo. Oh, and the camera stays on the stage as the end credits run, with Julie asking Kermit and Fozzie if they've seen her cow and even describing it as having "big brown eyes with lashes". Her final line is "But it was here when I came in." We then cut in to the usual stock footage of the Orchestra Pit.
Spike Milligan - The foreign guests continue to sing "It's a Small World After All" as the end credits roll. Milligan is trying to get to sleep on the stage and tells them to stop it. Kermit initially tries to join in but gives up. At that point the "old" end theme starts to play down and Kermit says "Can we kill the music? Can we stop this? Stop the music. Will you guys cut it out." Spike then throws his pillow at Kermit. At this point, Spike gets up and looks up to the balcony where he sees Statler and Waldorf singing along.
Roger Miller - The band has of course turned into Chickens. Animal pecks at his drums while Rowlf and another Chicken peck at the Piano together. Statler and Waldorf have become what looks like Weasels.
Dudley Moore - MAMMA tries to play the end theme, but it plays it in different styles eg Japanese, Jazz and even plays the Strip at one point.
Phyllis George - The camera stays on the stage as the end credits roll. Kermit tries to pacify Miss Piggy by giving her his award but she refuses to accept it. The "old' theme is played down.
Glenda Jackson - Statler and Waldorf are in the Crows Nest. One of them asks "Why do you think they call it the Crows Nest?" In answer, a Crow suddenly pops up and says "Get out of my nest you dummies."

*Whew!*
:smile:

I should have been clearer :smile: What I meant was, did any other shows replace either the final shot of Zoot or the preceding shot of the orchestra with a specially-shot version? :smile:

Didn't mean to put you to so much trouble - sorry!

David French

Reaction score
anathema said:
:smile:

I should have been clearer :smile: What I meant was, did any other shows replace either the final shot of Zoot or the preceding shot of the orchestra with a specially-shot version? :smile:

Didn't mean to put you to so much trouble - sorry!
That's okay, you didn't put me to any trouble at all. :smile:

David French

Reaction score
anathema said:
Yes; generally speaking, all copies of the show in circulation today are the non-UK (centered titles) versions. The exceptions are:

Ruth Buzzi
Rita Moreno
Florence Henderson
Candice Bergen
Avery Schreiber
Ben Vereen
Phyllis Diller
Vincent Price
Valerie Harper
Ethel Merman
Harry Belafonte
Chris Langham

...which are commonly found in the UK (left titles) version. Finding copies of the non-UK versions of these shows is about as hard as finding the UK version of any other show :-(

I should imagine that the DVDs contain the usual set of shows; certainly every English-language DVD/VHS release and broadcast I've seen over the last few years has followed this.

Saying "British masters" is a slight misnomer: the show was taped and edited in PAL - that is, both the "left" and "centered" versions were edited in PAL, so PAL tapes exist (or existed) for all 240 shows.
Interesting, because when TV 3 last screened the series, almost every First Season episode had the left-justified credits, with a few exceptions; the Florence Henderson show being one of them. I've also seen some Second Season episodes with the left-justified credits including Rudolf Nureyev and I think Don Knotts, as well as some Third Season ones - Lesley Ann Warren was one if memory serves rightly.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
David French said:
That's okay, you didn't put me to any trouble at all. :smile:
You mean like in the Kaye Ballard episode, where the whole orchestra except Rowlf quit, so it was a piano only theme :sympathy:

anathema

Reaction score
David French said:
Interesting, because when TV 3 last screened the series, almost every First Season episode had the left-justified credits, with a few exceptions; the Florence Henderson show being one of them. I've also seen some Second Season episodes with the left-justified credits including Rudolf Nureyev and I think Don Knotts, as well as some Third Season ones - Lesley Ann Warren was one if memory serves rightly.
Very interesting!

Additionally, I have copies of Spike Milligan, Debbie Harry, Hal Linden, Marty Feldman and Wally Boag as left-handers (taped from their original UK broadcasts).

I'd be very interested in getting hold of the left-hander versions of all the other shows :smile: